The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has been diabetic for 2 years,57 yrs old, thin and has been using levemir at bedtime and 500 mg metformin 2x a day,the past few weeks his bs no matter what time he checks it is consistantly 200-300 and basically eats the same every day and is active during the day and doesn't eat many carbs. I am type 1 and thinking he may need to split the levemir dose or increase the metformin as he has increased the levemir from 17 units to 21. He goes to his doctor in few weeks but thought I would see if anybody could suggest what he could do to lower his sugars.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Can you tell us what he normally eats? 1000 mg of metformin is not a lot, I had to raise mine to 2550 before my IR was controlled. Even with that I have to keep my meals around 10 carbs or less and snacks 5 or less. The other thing to consider he may be LADA and he may be ending his honeymoon period. It may be time for mealtime insulin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you tell us what he normally eats? 1000 mg of metformin is not a lot, I had to raise mine to 2550 before my IR was controlled. Even with that I have to keep my meals around 10 carbs or less and snacks 5 or less. The other thing to consider he may be LADA and he may be ending his honeymoon period. It may be time for mealtime insulin.
He has a carnation bkfst drink for breakfast,banana for a snack, sandwich for lunch and dinner 1 carb and sometimes popcorn for bedtime snack,

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
You being a type 1 is there a possibility you can help him out with a bolus to bring his numbers down until he sees the DOC. His diet would drive my numbers up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You being a type 1 is there a possibility you can help him out with a bolus to bring his numbers down until he sees the DOC. His diet would drive my numbers up.
I have thought of having him split his levemir dose, honestly he is always hungry now so not sure about cutting back the carbs as he is physically active all day. I have even thought about giving him some novolog to lower his bs which makes me nervous. May I ask what could you suggest?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm not surprised he's hungry, or else that's not a full list of what he eats. I'm not active all day and eat a lot more than that in the form of protein and healthy fats mostly (eggs, cheese, cream, avocado, meat, fish) and carbs from veggies. I'm T2 though so need to restrict my carbs a lot more.

Still, carbs aren't very satisfying - fats and protein are - and your husb's diet is a heavy-carb one.

Reactions: jwags and Patdart

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Find something that he likes that doesn't effect his BG negatively and feed him as much as he can stand to eat. He is hungry all the time because his BG level his high, along with his IR, so his body is telling him he is starving, eat. I went thru this phase, gained 35lbs in a couple of months then DKA reared its ugly head. This was before I was Dxed. Hard boiled eggs, salads, chicken wings, beef, pork chops, leafy greens, etc.

I have thought of having him split his levemir dose, honestly he is always hungry now so not sure about cutting back the carbs as he is physically active all day. I have even thought about giving him some novolog to lower his bs which makes me nervous. May I ask what could you suggest?

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Find something that he likes that doesn't effect his BG negatively and feed him as much as he can stand to eat. He is hungry all the time because his BG level his high, along with his IR, so his body is telling him he is starving, eat. I went thru this phase, gained 35lbs in a couple of months then DKA reared its ugly head. This was before I was Dxed. Hard boiled eggs, salads, chicken wings, beef, pork chops, leafy greens, etc.
Thank you for advice, I will suggest this to him,

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
At his next appt, I would suggest he gets GAD antibodies tested, along with C-peptide just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
MCS is right - I just saw it's you who's a T1 not your husb.

He needs to stop eating all those carbs and his bs will come down fairly quickly. Everything you mentioned that he eats is carb except whatever the filling is of his sandwich. Until he sees the doc, urge him to stop eating fruit, those Carnation Breakfast things (eggs and a meat for breakfast instead), and no popcorn.

Carb foods to avoid: grains, milk, potatoes, starchy veggies like peas and corn, bread, cereal, rice, fruit

Foods to enjoy: non-starchy veggies, butter, meat (including sausage, bacon), fish, cheese, nuts, cream (mixed with water if needing milk substitute)

For meal ideas visit our threads on what we had for breakfast, lunch, dinner - and the recipe section.

·
Registered
930 Posts
When I get hunger induced by carbohydrates I just eat some butter, it works for me. . :) But cheese that has protein in it might be better.

ColaJim

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First of all, it doesn't seem like your husband is eating enough. Instead of the Carnation breakfast try 2-3 scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, some veggies like broccoli or asparagus. If he needs bread try some low carb bread with real butter. For lunch a big chef salad with different greens, chicken, turkey, ham, cheese or bacon and a 0 carb dressing. Walden Farms has individual packets you can buy online. Dinner should be some real meat, veggies cooked in butter or coconut oil and a salad. At my house I love sauteeing mushrooms in butter to eat with steak, chicken or pork. Snacks could be nuts, cheese, hummus and veggies, deviled eggs , etc. He should be able to get bgs down if he actually eats more food otherwise his liver will kick in and dump glucose.

·
Banned
21 Posts
My uncle is health expert and he always suggest the people to control your diabetes with the proper diet, eating carb free food and exercise. It is always help to control the blood sugar level and also can help to generate energy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts