The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Good evening again,

As i havent been on here in a long while i thought i would give an update on my diabetes. As you may have read previously on my threads and profile nealry 2 yrs ago a got an infection and my diabeteswent haywire and i had two fits when my blood sugars dropped so low i convulsed and shouted out my mum had to call an ambulance to come and give me IV glucose, which is a god send now because Glucogen injections are evil! lol anyways due to these severe lows i have no lost my hypo awareness and get no symptoms of when my blood sugar is dropping.

This had a massive impact on my life and i was no longer deemed to save to continue my job working in a community nursing team. I now have a insulin pump, which initally took a lot of getting used to but my HAB1c's are now coming down lovely.

My Mum was googling one day about loss of hypo awareness and a website came up for a hypo alert dog. This is a dog that is trained specifically to detect the odour a diabetic produces when their levels start going high or low! I am now in the process of getting one of these guardian angels and i am so excited about the freedom and reassurance that little wet nose will provide me.

I have already done some funraising for the charity and because i think their work is amazing and can make such a difference to people's life and independence.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
That is awesome!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Good evening again,

As i havent been on here in a long while i thought i would give an update on my diabetes. As you may have read previously on my threads and profile nealry 2 yrs ago a got an infection and my diabeteswent haywire and i had two fits when my blood sugars dropped so low i convulsed and shouted out my mum had to call an ambulance to come and give me IV glucose, which is a god send now because Glucogen injections are evil! lol anyways due to these severe lows i have no lost my hypo awareness and get no symptoms of when my blood sugar is dropping.

This had a massive impact on my life and i was no longer deemed to save to continue my job working in a community nursing team. I now have a insulin pump, which initally took a lot of getting used to but my HAB1c's are now coming down lovely.

My Mum was googling one day about loss of hypo awareness and a website came up for a hypo alert dog. This is a dog that is trained specifically to detect the odour a diabetic produces when their levels start going high or low! I am now in the process of getting one of these guardian angels and i am so excited about the freedom and reassurance that little wet nose will provide me.

I have already done some funraising for the charity and because i think their work is amazing and can make such a difference to people's life and independence.
That is great news about getting a hypo alert dog. I know how it is to go low and not feel it. My lowest number was a 19 and I was still alert and could take my own glucose gel. I have never had a glucagon shot and I don't want one. I have had dextrose IV several times. I can not get a pump, my insurance won't approve it. I will just keep on using MDI's and hope for the best!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gosh that is so sad ur insurance won't provide u with a pump it really does make a huge difference to your control but sadly doesn't help with awareness!

I am quite lucky in the UK to have the NHS but I don't think it will b around forever and I imagine if I had to pay insurance I couldn't keep the pump! But I don't low much about how health insurance works.

how long have u been diabetic?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Gosh that is so sad ur insurance won't provide u with a pump it really does make a huge difference to your control but sadly doesn't help with awareness!

I am quite lucky in the UK to have the NHS but I don't think it will b around forever and I imagine if I had to pay insurance I couldn't keep the pump! But I don't low much about how health insurance works.

how long have u been diabetic?
I have had T2 diabetes since 2000.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I see are u on tablets for your control I was diagnosed type 1 when I was four
Oh yes, I can now take Metformin ER. Wasn't able to tolerate it when I was first diagnosed. But now I can handle the ER version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know what u mean I'm on the SR because the normal metformin killed my stomach proper evil! But helps with the insulin resistance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts