The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have a hypo, I start to tremble/shake mildly if below 75.

But the other day, my reading was 64 before going to bed and I felt completely normal with no symptoms.

Why would this be?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have often questioned this as well. I sometime feel bad at 70 but there have been 3 or 4 times in the last month or so when I have tested in the low 50s and have not had any bad feelings...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Going low has never been a problem for me, but I want to jump in here to welcome you back to the forum, SilverBoy! I hope you'll be visiting often! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome back.

Unfortunately, I have too little time these days but I hope next year brings a change in that area for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I find my feelings of hypo vary depending on how tightly I've been controlling my blood sugar in general. When I'm got things well in hand, I feel a hypo at around 3.3 (so 59 or 60). When I've let my blood sugar run high for a couple of days i feel a hypo at around 4.5.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Elle has the right answer. If you are managing your blood glucose tightly, and maintining them under 140 at two hours after eating, chances are that you will get lower before noticing. For a period of time I had been maintaining mine under 120 with fastings in the low 90's to upper 80's. I would often get to the lower 60's before I would notice I was having a low.

I need to test more frequently since I am on insulin, and I do not depend on the signals as now I can get to the mid-50's without noticing a low. So I am having to work on letting my fasting creep up to near 100 so that I am alerted earlier to a low.

It is still a good feeling to see people manage their diabetes and still know that they have the low feelings. It is just learning what your body can do and being safe that is the challenge. There are very few Type 2 people with diabetes that become hypoglycemically unaware, but this is not uncommon for Type 1 people. Therefore, Type 1 people need to be more cautious if they suspect they are becoming hypoglycemically unaware.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
When my BG falls rapidly I feel hypo in the high 70s, but if my BG falls slowly I will sometimes be in the low 60s and not feel it. Using a CGM, where you can see your numbers every minute of the day sure can help show the highs and lows, but if the CGM is not covered by insurance, it is much too expensive for most people.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How long ago that you're diagnosed SilverBoy? As when you start the insulin regimen you can feel the com'on of a low. After a few years the lows can become unnoticeable. Today when I feel a low happening I just fall to sleep at anytime so then I look at some jelly beans, Forget the meter. :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I seem to feel 50's and 60's if there is a fast drop but if it is gradual, I am totally unaware. I am a Type 2 with tightly controlled bgl's and on Lantus.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I seem to feel 50's and 60's if there is a fast drop but if it is gradual, I am totally unaware. I am a Type 2 with tightly controlled bgl's and on Lantus.
Welcome aboard, jojeti . . . thank you for joining us. Hope you'll be visiting often!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
if you're on certain blood pressure medicines, they'll mask symptoms of low blood sugar. Labatol coes to mind.
Well hello, Dan! I think I may know you (if you're the Dan who had a severe low episode in July while taking Labatol) . . . and I'm glad you decided to de-lurk! :D :D :D Come around often - love to hear from you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts