The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, this is my first time posting. I, personally don't have diabetes, but my father does. He's borderline type two, with his natural blood sugar reading at about 18 or so. His doctor has put him on insulin and he's supposed to take it 15 minutes before dinner - but he takes it afterwards. I have some medical knowledge (I took a rudmentary course in school) so I am aware of the risks and such; I think what happened tonight will make him change his ways!
He had a moderate hypoglycemic attack (are the attacks?). His blood sugar was 2.3 (it is normal when he is on the insulin), he was barely coherent, shaking and sweaty. I gave him some sugar water, some juice and some chocolate. I think I gave him too much! This is my worry - can he become hyperglycemic very quicky? It took about half an hour for his blood sugar to become normal (4.9) again. I'm worried that he'll end up being hyperglycemic and we won't catch it (and he is currently asleep - it is the middle of the night here). What are the chances of him becoming hyperglycemic in a fice hour span? I believe he takes more insulin in the morning, so all I really have to worry about is the initial five hours.

Please help!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Mini: :)

Welcome!

Do you mean your Father's sugar level is 18.0mmol/l at a normal testing??
If so, that is Very high(hyperglycemia). He is not borderline Diabetic but a
true Diabetic.

I can't know whether he will go high or low in his sugar level since I have no idea how much Insulin total that he has taken today or what types. It certainly is possible for his sugar to rise in 5 hours time especially if he does not use a long-acting(basal)Insulin. Is it possible for you to go to your Father and test his sugar level now without waking him? That will tell us both where he stands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi there!
the attack happened around 12:30-1:00 am and I went back and checked his sugar at 2 am and it was 11. I actually have nooo idea what the measurement is, I just know how it shows up on the meter. I know normal is between 5 and 7 and that he used to be borderline and then his doctor put him on insulin after he wasn't dieting (bad daddy!). Anyways. After I took his sugar I asked if 11 was normal and he said that it wasn't normal because of the insulin but that it wasn't super dangerous either (because he had been 11 in the past without insulin). When he woke up this morning he was 12.
What I was really concerned about was him going very high and then going into hypergylcemic shock and whatnot, but it didn't happen. I'm assuming his sugar must have peaked somewhere around 12 or 13 because it was 12 in the morning. Which I know isn't incredibly healthy persay, but it was semi-normal and not dangerous (for him) so I was panic free.
However, now I know what not to do! I know that when a diaetic is having a sugar crash you need to give them sugar - but they never specify how much! Now I'll definitly know for the future - and I'll keep on him to check his sugar a bit more regularily!

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi Mini: :)

I'm so Glad to hear that your Dad is doing okay.

Oh okay, it was a Hyper Coma you were worried about. Understandable. Sometimes Type 2's are put on a long lasting Insulin also like Lantus, Levemir, etc. to help keep their sugars down in between meals and at night. That's usually if their oral drugs, diet and exercise aren't working too Good for them.

It is usually hard for some older People to care for or about their Diabetes. Diabetes can also be followed by Depression for many. I know that it's not easy on you not knowing how he is feeling or all the ins and outs of Diabetes. Thank you for looking after him.

Oh and after some time, the 11's, 12's, etc. will cause complications if they are there too often or too long. That is why keeping blood sugars in the Good range most of the time is important.

Your Very Welcome...that's why we're here. Thanks for letting us know that he's okay. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts