The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just a quick question concerning hypoglycemia. When I feel Hypo, should i be eating something sugary to bring me 'back' or should i just muscle through it. I'm a little confused because i'm trying to stay away from sugar at all costs and this matter seems to contradict this principle.

Secondly, my dietician has told me to eat at least 3 peices of fruit and 5 carbs per day (generic, her advice was not specified to my actual circumstance). She recommended foods that are a big 'no no' for me i.e. fruit and carbs, dairy and cereals. this made up the majority of the eating plan and i'm very confused.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated. Hope you are all having a good w/end.

Ely ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello all,

Just a quick question concerning hypoglycemia. When I feel Hypo, should i be eating something sugary to bring me 'back' or should i just muscle through it.
Yes, Eat or the better drink sugar enhanced OJ or glucose source!!
I'm a little confused because i'm trying to stay away from sugar at all costs and this matter seems to contradict this principle.
It's a balance between the three, Food I.E Carbs, Exercise, Insulin. If you can strike the balance then all is good.

Secondly, my dietician has told me to eat at least 3 peices of fruit and 5 carbs per day (generic, her advice was not specified to my actual circumstance). She recommended foods that are a big 'no no' for me i.e. fruit and carbs, dairy and cereals. this made up the majority of the eating plan and i'm very confused.
WOW That's low carbing. :eek: May I ask, What do you do physically every day? Are you a type 2? Strike the balance as exercise is the key. ;):D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all,

Just a quick question concerning hypoglycemia. When I feel Hypo, should i be eating something sugary to bring me 'back' or should i just muscle through it. I'm a little confused because i'm trying to stay away from sugar at all costs and this matter seems to contradict this principle.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated. Hope you are all having a good w/end.

Ely ;)
If you are having hypo symptoms and you test low, then you need some fast acting carbs to bring your blood glucose readings up. The 15-15 method is to take 15 grams of fast acting carbs, such as glucose tablets and wait 15 minutes and test to see what your blood glucose is, if necessary repeat. It is best to treat a low and don't try and muscle through it, you may end up too low. I don't understand the diet you were given, but it is low in carbs and that is a good way to control your blood glucose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol! The 5 carbs a day was meant to veg! (Thats embarrassing!) But she still recommended wholemeal bread, sweet potato etc which got me confused as they are packed with carbs.

Ok, with the sugar thing, I was under the impression that I had to retrain my body to what a 'normal' blood sugar level is therefore if I feel like I'm going through a hypo, just get through it. However, I should only do that if I'm having a hypo and my bs comes back as normal otherwise eat the sugar? I know it seems like common sense but I really didn't know what to do. In fact I didn't even think about it until a friend asked what she should do when I feel lethargic, eyes glaze, can't concentrate etc and she asked whether or not to giveme something sweet and told her no...oops.

Again, thanks for your advice guys :)

pps I got a glucose test kit over the w/end with those test strip thingies - I wasn't told to get one but everyone seems to use one here to keep them informed. When I use it, how do I measure what's 'normal' and what isn't? Sorry for the questions and thanks again in lieu

Pps I'm T2 :;

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Ely . . . so glad you have a meter now! If you test below 50 or 60 on your meter, you should prob'ly treat it with the 15/15 method described by Breeze. You should also try to keep your levels from going higher than 140, since that is when high blood sugar can start doing damage to your internal organs.

It really IS a complicated condition, and good for your friend asking how to help you when you seem unable to help yourself!

Take care & keep asking questions!

p.s. I can't eat grains much at all, but I sure enjoy a baked sweet potato with a big pat of butter. It's carby, yes, but high-fiber too, which makes it a better choice for us diabetics. Just don't put sugar on it . . .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Lol! The 5 carbs a day was meant to veg! (Thats embarrassing!) But she still recommended wholemeal bread, sweet potato etc which got me confused as they are packed with carbs.

Ok, with the sugar thing, I was under the impression that I had to retrain my body to what a 'normal' blood sugar level is therefore if I feel like I'm going through a hypo, just get through it. However, I should only do that if I'm having a hypo and my bs comes back as normal otherwise eat the sugar? I know it seems like common sense but I really didn't know what to do. In fact I didn't even think about it until a friend asked what she should do when I feel lethargic, eyes glaze, can't concentrate etc and she asked whether or not to giveme something sweet and told her no...oops.

Again, thanks for your advice guys :)

pps I got a glucose test kit over the w/end with those test strip thingies - I wasn't told to get one but everyone seems to use one here to keep them informed. When I use it, how do I measure what's 'normal' and what isn't? Sorry for the questions and thanks again in lieu

Pps I'm T2 :;
You really need to test to make sure that you are low. I have some hypo unawareness and you really can't just tell if you are low. I have felt low at times and test and I am within my target range. Other times I get light headed and my hands start to shake and I test and I am low. You will learn how your body feels when you are low. Normal ranges before meals are 70-130 (ADA recommendation) and no higher than 180-2 hours after meals (ADA recommendation), but most diabetics try to keep their post meal blood glucose no higher than 140. You can work with your doctor and decide what your target ranges should be for you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The wholemeal bread & sweet potato is indeed a carbohydeate but it's slow as this will last for say half a day. I would also look at colored vegtables as they are anti oxidized quality and rich greens too. ;):D

GOOD!!! Look at 6 / 108 and aim at that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts