The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

One of the articles I received from internet subscriptions was on how hypothyroidism leads to diabetes. Wikipedia also mentions this.
Endocrinology tracks many diseases.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Both diseases are auto-immune, and if you get one disease it is not uncommon to get another.
Both insulin and thyroxin are important hormones in our bdy, and if one is out of balance you get a domino-effect; other hormones becomes affected.
I got hypothyrodism 3 years ago. Since my body think the drug, Levaxine, is poison, I live with a really bad regulated hypothyrodism abd lots of anti-bodies, Hashimoto.
1 year ago I developed diabetes 1, and just recently I found I also have hyperthyrodism with anti-bodies, Graves.
I`m also really low in vitamin D, which in reality not is a vitamine, but a hormon.
There is an interesting research about a drug called LDN, which has shown really good result for those with diabetes 2, but also for other auto-immune diseases since the drug strength the immunesystem and makes the antibodies lower.

There also pops up lots of stories if googling LDN

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
No link? I am interested as I had Hashimoto's 15 yrs before I developed D. There is also a genetic link between autoimmune thyroid disease and pancreatic autoimmune disease. It seems like they are co-diagnoses, not that one leads to the other.

There also seems to be a link between Type 2 (without diagnosed antibodies) and thyroid disease, however. No telling if all the pts studied got tested for GAD-65 antibodies, however!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No link? I am interested as I had Hashimoto's 15 yrs before I developed D. There is also a genetic link between autoimmune thyroid disease and pancreatic autoimmune disease. It seems like they are co-diagnoses, not that one leads to the other.

There also seems to be a link between Type 2 (without diagnosed antibodies) and thyroid disease, however. No telling if all the pts studied got tested for GAD-65 antibodies, however!

I can't find the original, but maybe later. Here are some:

Thyroid Disease and Diabetes

How Hypothyroidism Can Lead To Diabetes

prevalence hypothyroidism type 2 diabetes - PubMed - NCBI

-----------

A regular thyroid check-up might prevent the possibility of diabetes, if they are infact causally related. Another question: if hypothyroidism is the cause, would supplementing with a higher thyroxine hormone, reverse diabetes?

These genetic causes may not actually show the endocrinological interactions due to drugs, diet, and life events.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
.... interesting, but I would STILL ask the original researchers: Was GAD-65 autoantibody testing performed?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A regular thyroid check-up might prevent the possibility of diabetes, if they are infact causally related. Another question: if hypothyroidism is the cause, would supplementing with a higher thyroxine hormone, reverse diabetes?
Not saying there isn't a connection, but supplemental hormone didn't help me any. I was on levothyroxine for years before my diabetes diagnosis. And for years before THAT I was being checked because one lobe of my thyroid was removed when I was in my 30s.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I got hypothyrodism 3 years ago. Since my body think the drug, Levaxine, is poison, I live with a really bad regulated hypothyrodism abd lots of anti-bodies, Hashimoto.
1 year ago I developed diabetes 1, and just recently I found I also have hyperthyrodism with anti-bodies, Graves.
So you are both hypo, and hyperthyroid? Are you sure?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you are both hypo, and hyperthyroid? Are you sure?
Hi lia,

I don't recall posting about hypothyroidism here. Nonetheless, your message is interesting. Not being an endocrinologist student, the causal factors in diabetes and thyroid or even parathyroid or pancreatic disorders - endocrinological in general - i would guess are interrelated. You say you started thyroid problems 3 yrs. ago -- maybe it progressed?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have serious asthma since I was a child, allergies and psoriasis.
September 2008 I thought I was depressed and I started to lose my eyesight, but a bloodtest showed I had hypothyrodism. January 2009 a new test showed it was Hashimoto. My anti-bodies (anti-TPO in Norway) was over 1300, while it should been under 35.
My body didnt like Levaxin, and my doctor didnt know much about how to read my blood. I became sicker and sicker, and my TSH were always over 3 (since I`m under treatment TSH should been under 1).
August last year I was sick and also started to drink a lot, urinate a lot and lost too much weight.
My doctor didnt know what was wrong with me, but a friend of mine who has been diebetic type 1 for years told me she believed I had got diabetes. She lent me her BG-reader and I started testing. The day after I went to the doctor with all my readings, and she reacted when she readd "warning -over 33,3". My A1c was 12,6, and I tested positive for anti GAD and another I dont remember the name on.
A month later I went to the hospital to learn how to live with diabetes 1. At the hospital the doctors listened when I told how sick I felt and also about my troat which grew and always felt sore.
An Ultrasound and also a fine needle biopsy showed I also had got goiter with knot. My TSH was then 7,5.
Life went on, but I lost more and more energy and got more and more troubles. My insuline worked perfectly in the start, but even after changing brand, it doesnt work like it is supposed to. The endo think it is a form of resistence.
October this year they finally tested me for TRAS, and guess what; I even scored there with 2,4 (it has to be below 1). I Have Graves, but they still hasnt told me if my TRAS are blocking or stimulating.
My TSH is now 9,7 and my FT4 is 18,7.
During those three years I lost more and more of my sight, and now only have 17 % sight on my right eye and 33 % sight on my left eye. Some think the losing av eyesight also is a form of auto-immune disease.

The doctors havent decided how to treat all those auto-immune diseases, because they dont go good together and medication can makes a lot of trouble for me.
I`m going back to Aker (the best hospital in Norway if you need help from the endo) desember first, and hopefully they hav a plan for me then.
The bright news in all this is that I`m interesting for the doctors, so hopefully some of them comes up with a briliant solution how to stop me from getting more diseases.......

·
Registered
741 Posts
oh gee optimist you really scored the whole bucket full...

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not yet I think.....they believe I have glutenallergy + something rheumatic, but I still havent got any diagnoses for that.....
I f I only could have this kind of "luck" when I play Lotto.......

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't recall posting about hypothyroidism here.
It wasn't you Irene. I was asking about the text I quoted from optimist. (just to clear up any confusion I created)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have serious asthma since I was a child, allergies and psoriasis.
September 2008 I thought I was depressed and I started to lose my eyesight, but a bloodtest showed I had hypothyrodism. January 2009 a new test showed it was Hashimoto. My anti-bodies (anti-TPO in Norway) was over 1300, while it should been under 35.
My body didnt like Levaxin, and my doctor didnt know much about how to read my blood. I became sicker and sicker, and my TSH were always over 3 (since I`m under treatment TSH should been under 1).
August last year I was sick and also started to drink a lot, urinate a lot and lost too much weight.
My doctor didnt know what was wrong with me, but a friend of mine who has been diebetic type 1 for years told me she believed I had got diabetes. She lent me her BG-reader and I started testing. The day after I went to the doctor with all my readings, and she reacted when she readd "warning -over 33,3". My A1c was 12,6, and I tested positive for anti GAD and another I dont remember the name on.
A month later I went to the hospital to learn how to live with diabetes 1. At the hospital the doctors listened when I told how sick I felt and also about my troat which grew and always felt sore.
An Ultrasound and also a fine needle biopsy showed I also had got goiter with knot. My TSH was then 7,5.
Life went on, but I lost more and more energy and got more and more troubles. My insuline worked perfectly in the start, but even after changing brand, it doesnt work like it is supposed to. The endo think it is a form of resistence.
October this year they finally tested me for TRAS, and guess what; I even scored there with 2,4 (it has to be below 1). I Have Graves, but they still hasnt told me if my TRAS are blocking or stimulating.
My TSH is now 9,7 and my FT4 is 18,7.
During those three years I lost more and more of my sight, and now only have 17 % sight on my right eye and 33 % sight on my left eye. Some think the losing av eyesight also is a form of auto-immune disease.

The doctors havent decided how to treat all those auto-immune diseases, because they dont go good together and medication can makes a lot of trouble for me.
I`m going back to Aker (the best hospital in Norway if you need help from the endo) desember first, and hopefully they hav a plan for me then.
The bright news in all this is that I`m interesting for the doctors, so hopefully some of them comes up with a briliant solution how to stop me from getting more diseases.......

I suppose that both hypothyroidism AND diabetes can coincide. You say you are Type I, which is something that should have been detected much earlier, no? About your thyroid hormone-- wonder why you didn't get Synthroid -- that is what i get for lithium-induced hypothyroidism (approx. 30 yrs. treatment). Frankly, when i became diabetic, i wondered if it was not diabetes insipidus, but apparently the glucose was high and that eliminates that possibility, as far as the books say.

I am sorry you suffered so much. Thyroid problems can make you feel so sick -- i know that until you get the right adjustment it can be really awful, esp. if it is hypothyroidism.

Diabetes (i have read) is considered an autoimmune disease, and sometimes for example, a virus can set it off.

Hope that some people here are knowledgeable about endocrinology - which i call the queen of internal medicine.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I will keep my fingers crossed for you! You have a 'boatload' of problems, but maybe the doctors can figure out what is going on and have a good solution for you!

Good luck, cracker queen,

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
The bright news in all this is .....
I can tell you what the bright news is - that you gave yourself the name "Optimist." That says volumes about you.

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I suppose that both hypothyroidism AND diabetes can coincide. You say you are Type I, which is something that should have been detected much earlier, no? About your thyroid hormone-- wonder why you didn't get Synthroid -- that is what i get for lithium-induced hypothyroidism (approx. 30 yrs. treatment). Frankly, when i became diabetic, i wondered if it was not diabetes insipidus, but apparently the glucose was high and that eliminates that possibility, as far as the books say.

I am sorry you suffered so much. Thyroid problems can make you feel so sick -- i know that until you get the right adjustment it can be really awful, esp. if it is hypothyroidism.

Diabetes (i have read) is considered an autoimmune disease, and sometimes for example, a virus can set it off.

Hope that some people here are knowledgeable about endocrinology - which i call the queen of internal medicine.
They did a lots of test on me 15 months before I got diabetes 1. At that time everything was fine. No signs at all that I had diabetes. The endo told me everything was fine except those tests about my thyroid hormones.
I n Norway they use Levaxin to treat hypothyroism. My body wont accept this drug for some strange reason. I`ve asked for a long time if I can switch to a natural-thyroid, Erfa, but the doctors wont let me have it. I have to admit that since I obvisioly dont get better at all with Levaxin I got Erfa by myself since the doctors wont listen to me. I switched to this 3 days ago, and cross my fingers my body will accept it so I can get the right dose of hormon, and that this will make both me and the bloodtest better. Hopefully the doctors will give me a description on Erfa if they see it work. *cross my fingers in hope*
Hashimoto, Graves, Diabetes 1, Asthma and Psoriasis are all classified as autoimmune diseases. And the doctors believe the continious llsing of sight also is a new form of autoimmune disease.
In Norway they will test you frequently if you have diabetes 1 to see if you get hypothyrodism, they say it is quite common. But I did it the other way. Hypothyrodism first, then diabetes and then also hyperthyrodism.

It is not smart to get all those diseases in one body.
Thyroid hormones and asthma drugs makes my BG get higher. The insuline makes the thyroid hormones doesnt work as good as they were supposed to. They cant give me beta-blockers for my Graves since it will make my asthma worse and my asthma drugs will not work anymore. The asthma inhaker and Lantus make me not feel I`m hypo before I`m really low. They cant treat my Graves with radioactive ion because of my eyes and if they dhoose to remove my thyrodea, my other autoimmune diseases will get worse.
Not easy.
Wish I had a doctor like dr.House......

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks to you all!
I believe everyone has a choice when thry face trouble;
you can run and hide or you can make the best out of it.
I choose the last.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Optimist, is it optic neuritis? My next-door neighbor has that. It IS autoimmune, we have talked about how odd it is that 3 neighbors in such a close area ALL have autoimmune diseases.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Optimist, is it optic neuritis? My next-door neighbor has that. It IS autoimmune, we have talked about how odd it is that 3 neighbors in such a close area ALL have autoimmune diseases.
No one knows what it is. Each part of my eyes are perfect, but still the nerves in my eyes dies. No one can tell why this is happening, and no one can tell what will happen next. Kind of frustrating......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts