The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek::eek:Hello all!

I am a native Coloradoan and it is a beautiful day here! I have been diabetic for just over a year now. I have lost 50 lbs, and no longer have to take my meds. BUT, I am struggling. I am bored with food and want to eat bad things. UGH...any one have ideas for me to get my groove back?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I am happy that you can control your D without meds. I have tried but it doesn't work for me. Well, we are all different. Congrats on the weight loss. I eat a very low carb diet around 30 per day and find if I am not very strict it all blows up. I can cheat occassionly but it causes carb cravings for days. I have lost all the weight I need to and am fairly thin so it does get frustrating some times. I see other family members eating all the carbs they want and even a piece of fruit sends me soaring. Although it is not fair this is the hand I was dealt . One way I deal with it is by making LC treats like cookies and muffins. Check out the recipe forum, we have some fantastic cooks here. We make everthing from chocolate chip cookies, grain free granola, muffins, cake, chocolate fudge, ice cream, bagels, english muffins. You name it we can find a way to make it safe for D's.

Reactions: Shanny
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

My problems is that sweets are my trigger food. I have been eating some and now my body is all messed up, the cravings are killing me. I am trying to detox but it is hard. I have actually gained 13 lbs in the last 3 months and I am depressed about that which makes me want to eat bad things! If I can detox, I will be ok, I hope!:D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
You're eating sugar or are artificial sweeteners triggering the cravings? I find I'm okay with sweets I make w/ erythritol and a few drops of Splenda, though sugar would have me flying high.

If it's also artificial sweeteners for you, then yeah, cold turkey would undoubtedly be the best way. But - there are other insanely wonderful non-sweet treats in the recipe section to distract you. My personal favorite is the Optimist Cracker (crackers by our member Optimist) which is a great vehicle for all sorts of low-carb goodies, including just Kerrygold butter!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Sunflowergirl. I was all set for you to say you were from Kansas, but Colorado is better! ;) I lived there myself for 20+ years & the kids still live there - strung out all the way from Durango to Denver to Greeley.

I think you've found the right place to regain your resolve. Many of us struggle from time to time, and I'm right in there - for the first time my A1c didn't drop this month at lab tests time; it stayed the same. So I need to retool a few things before the next six months passes.

Make yourself at home here - prowl through our old posts & make comments/ask questions. We're glad to have you with us - thank you for joining us! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for your welcome message! I used to live in Denver and Greeley too! I live in Berthoud now. I will dig in believe me, need new inspiration! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I often find my resolve weakening and will end up cheating on my LCHF diet. Unfortunately it does happen and there is likely some truth to the argument regarding sustainability of this diet. However, even if that is the case, we, as diabetics, have to make it as sustainable as possible and accept the fact we will cheat. In your case, as with others here, the cost of the cheat is weight gain and that's something many of us are struggling to control. There is no easy answer. If there was, we'd all be happy diabetics ;) What I do is allow myself one day per month when I can cheat with ONE thing I miss eating be it candy, chocolate, pizza, a burger, or whatever. After that day, I immediately get back on the wagon and accept that day for what it is....a passable solution to my craving problem. It doesn't work for everyone but it does for me. I wish you luck in finding your solution!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I admit I am a carbaholic. I always preferred carbs to any other type of food. I tried to pick healthier carbs but whether it is fruit, bread, french fries or crackers the minute I take one bite I want more. I do think that eating carbs elicits a response in our brains that just won't shut off. I have been on LC for almost 5 years and I still get cravings. For me the way to limit them is to clear out my pantries so I don't have bad food tempting me. Sometimes that is hard when others in your house eat carbs but it is an important step. If you don't buy it or have to go out of your way to get it, you are more likely to stay away from the carbs. When I go out to eat the first thing I do is move the bread or chips to the other side of the table or ask them to remove it entirely. If there is nothing on the menu that is D friendly I always ask to order off the menu. I usually ask for some type of grilled meat and ask them to leave off the potato, rice or pasta and replace it with salad or veggies. I also bring in my own salad dressing that is 0 carbs.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
28 Posts
I admit I am a carbaholic. I always preferred carbs to any other type of food. I tried to pick healthier carbs but whether it is fruit, bread, french fries or crackers the minute I take one bite I want more. I do think that eating carbs elicits a response in our brains that just won't shut off. I have been on LC for almost 5 years and I still get cravings. For me the way to limit them is to clear out my pantries so I don't have bad food tempting me. Sometimes that is hard when others in your house eat carbs but it is an important step. If you don't buy it or have to go out of your way to get it, you are more likely to stay away from the carbs. When I go out to eat the first thing I do is move the bread or chips to the other side of the table or ask them to remove it entirely. If there is nothing on the menu that is D friendly I always ask to order off the menu. I usually ask for some type of grilled meat and ask them to leave off the potato, rice or pasta and replace it with salad or veggies. I also bring in my own salad dressing that is 0 carbs.
Where do you get 0 carb dressing??? I would love to try that. Thanks.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine.

not sure how others can cheat on eating, i guess ive programmed (messed up) my brain so that i cannot eat them

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Where do you get 0 carb dressing??? I would love to try that. Thanks.
I make my own using full fat mayo, sour cream, etc. for the basic recipe and adding things like sugar/free pickle relish, chili sauce or s/f catsup . . . vinegar, mustard, worcestershire sauce, etc., all are fair game for tasty dressings. I don't promise low calorie - but they're definitely low carb! ;)

The Walden Farms people have a line of dressings & syrups that is zero-calorie & zero-carbs.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As Shanny said Walden Farms makes a whole line of 0 carb products. The website Netrition carries the dressings in individual sized packets so you can just throw them in your purse. I find they are great when you travel. That way you can just order your salads naked. They also make 0 carb pancake syrups and jam. Yummy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts