The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am crying now as I am typing this. I get this massive mood swings when I see my sugar go over 170. I ate a single banana and that's the result.

21, diabetic since 18.

Is diabetes playing with my brain or something? I always see this image of me dying even before I reach 50. I want to type more but I really cant think of anything right now. You may ignore this post, this is more like a vent.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Being already past 50, I can't imagine being diagnosed at a young age. A reading that is higher than you expected is a real disappointment - we try so hard to do the right thing and for a moment it feels like all our efforts are for nothing. We know that's not true, but sometimes that's what it feels like.

Tears are not always a bad thing. Give yourself permission to feel sorry for yourself sometimes over the things you can't do ... but only for 10 minutes. At the end of the time limit, you have to dry your eyes, remember all the things you CAN do and go out and do them!

We have to focus on the positive as much as possible to get the most happiness out of life. Diabetes sucks but don't let it spoil everything.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am crying now as I am typing this. I get this massive mood swings when I see my sugar go over 170. I ate a single banana and that's the result.

21, diabetic since 18.

Is diabetes playing with my brain or something? I always see this image of me dying even before I reach 50. I want to type more but I really cant think of anything right now. You may ignore this post, this is more like a vent.
Of course we wont ignore you :)

Its understandable to feel the way you do...especially since you are having mood swings. I suggest you talk to your doctor about it. it is not uncommon for diabetics to experience depression. We have a lot to deal with. There are also all kinds of endocrine hormonal things going on with us, can make you feel like you are losing it sometimes. Your doctor should be able to help, and you can always vent all you like here...we all have to do it sometimes. There are a lot of us here that were diagnosed at a young age. I was only 16. Richard was only 6 I think. He has lived a long healthy life. I am 45..and I am healthier now than I think I have ever been. It isnt a death sentence. You just have to be mindful of your diabetes and take care of yourself. I have a friend that I work with that was 6 months old when she was diagnosed. She is 30 now and very healthy.

Try not to let one high reading throw you all out of whack. 170 after a banana isnt that bad...if I had eaten a whole banana I woul easily have shot over 200....I cant eat them, they have way too much carbohydrate for me. There are some people that can still enjoy them though. One bad reading isnt really that bad...just correct it..and move on :) Maybe next time dont eat a whole banana :)

Feel free to ask anything you like or just rant and rave if you need to :) We are all here to support each other!

·
Registered
100 Posts
OH, I thought I was the only one crying! I blame it on age and hormones, but I am more than double your age. I think you have gotten some good advice above. Just know that you are not alone, and you are not wrong. We will work on this together and support each other, ok?

p.s. It is perfectly alright to vent any time you need to!

·
Registered
633 Posts
The first thing I want to tell you is to relax. Everybody that has type 1 has times when their glucose is higher than they would like. For me I was diagnosed at age 12 in 1972. Back then they didn't have glucose meters or pumps or a lot of the things that they have today to help you mannage your glucose. Now with that in mind I didn't have any idea what my blood glucose was and probably didn't really care. I do remember thinking that I would die some day from it and although I have come close I am still here and I think you will be here for a long time too. Chear up it is not the end of the world just that it is now a different world.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
One day at a time, thats all we as diabetics can do.

Yes, each day is A struggle, nobodies going to deny that.

Vent here, its the best place for it in my opinion, because the other people that are reading this have the same struggles with living day to day with "D"

·
Registered
2 Posts

21, diabetic since 18.

Mood swings are to be expected. When I found out I was 13. I ma going to be 37 in a few more weeks. I too always thought I would not make it to 30. When you find out you think the worst. Let me tell you... Do not think this way. Keep your head up high and do what dr tells you. If you think that dr might be wrong go for that second opion. And get an ENDO dr. They are the best. When my sugars fall very low I get very moddy. When they are above 200 I get moody. It is all part of the game. Sometimes some of your local hospitals have support groups. You should check them out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reading all these made me feel so much better. I feel that i am not alone. I'm gonna post a part of my story somewhere in this forum. I want to be part of this community :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

21, diabetic since 18.

Please try to not be sad! :) I understand how you feel, if I have a blood sugar reading above 150, I get upset. But, I know that this disease is going to do what she wants and we just have to try and accept it and move on. I don't eat much fruit at all, it makes my blood sugar go too high. I am glad that you found our forum, you will feel comfortable here, I promise! Hang in there!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dear reyesryanmjaube,

I can totally realte to this, as I have suffered from depression since i was 10 years old and reckon it's due to having diabetes and epilepsy, plus a family disposition for it. There are millions of people love, who go thru this but you don'y have to go thru it alone. Go see your doc and they will prob put u on some meds which will help you feel better. I personally think that diabetes alters the brain chemistry in your brain, especially if ur bm's aren't that good.

It's a crappy condition to have but you just have to make the most of a bad situation and grit your teeth and not let it beat you. Hopefully you have a lot of support from your friends and family? But get to that doctor asap and you will begin to feel better. I remember what I was like at 18, I'd already had diabetes for 15 years and just wanted to be with my mates and party etc. And I did! I didn't let it stop me from doing much!!! Don't look too much into the future, just enjoy your youth and I really hope you get better soon. I check in every few days so let me know how you are doing k.

Good luck

Lisa

·
Registered
24 Posts
The first thing I want to tell you is to relax. Everybody that has type 1 has times when their glucose is higher than they would like. For me I was diagnosed at age 12 in 1972. Back then they didn't have glucose meters or pumps or a lot of the things that they have today to help you mannage your glucose. Now with that in mind I didn't have any idea what my blood glucose was and probably didn't really care. I do remember thinking that I would die some day from it and although I have come close I am still here and I think you will be here for a long time too. Chear up it is not the end of the world just that it is now a different world.
Hear, hear well said!!!:peace:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts