The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Cathy and diagnosed type 2 December 15, 2010 after a scary episode..9 days in the hospital, anyway I take Novalog during the day before meals and lantus before bed. I am married ( and 43 ) for almost 22 yrs. with two kids and 3 furkids ( yes I mean animals lol) I use diet and exercise..I wish to learn all I can about diabetes. I look foward to some fun discussions !~

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome Cathy,

I am fairly new...type 2, Nov 2009. Yes, learn all you can, it makes a difference that shows up in your readings. Exercise, especially weights and high settings on the eliptical builds muscle, which increases glucose metabolism 24/7. Lower insulin doses mean less severe hypo episodes, fewer carbs and more exercise = less need for insulin. More later, skin kids need help, and fur kid wants out.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, Cathy! I think you'll fit right in here with all your kids & furballs (not to mention diabetes)! And yes, some of our "discussions" get pretty funny!

You must have been beside yourself last year at diagnosis . . . nine days in the hospital in the middle of December, and a busy household waiting for your return.

Our kids are all grown & gone - our youngest is already 40 years old (!) - so all I have to show you are the furbabies . . .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My name is Cathy and diagnosed type 2 December 15, 2010 after a scary episode..9 days in the hospital, anyway I take Novalog during the day before meals and lantus before bed. I am married ( and 43 ) for almost 22 yrs. with two kids and 3 furkids ( yes I mean animals lol) I use diet and exercise..I wish to learn all I can about diabetes. I look foward to some fun discussions !~
Hello Cathy and welcome to the forum. There is wealth of information on her, so reads what interests you. If you can't find something, just do a search on the white search box on the forum page. I hope that you can find time to visit often and take care.

G

·
welcome Cathy :) you've come to the right place... lots of support and info here. It's great to hear that you are only controlling with diet and exercise for now. I'm sorry to hear you had a big hospital stay with it though.
Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
HI and :welcome: from me, also. I'm fairly new also, officially Dx'd January 4th of this year. 45yrs old with 3 kids (2 in university, one in high school) and 2 fur-balls :)

There's great people and great advice here. I also highly recommend reading the straight facts over at Blood Sugar 101. She has a great write-up on how to lower your blood sugar also that's incredible advice for most all diabetics.

If your health care professionals are like mine, they're telling you to eat high-fibre/low-fat which may not work for you, as it doesn't work for many, many diabetics. For me and many others the solution to control is lower-carb, not lower-fiber.

Good luck, enjoy reading and ask us anything!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts