The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new here. I am what is called a secondary diabetic, how special am I. I had necrotizing pancreatitis in 2003 and lost approximately 2/3 of the ol' pancreas. BG went haywire a year later. Started on MDI 9/04 and started pumping 7/08. Why did I wait. I had to ask my endo about pumping. He doesn't know what to do with me. The lack of the pancreatic enzymes really screws up my levels. I do take artificial enzymes, but they are just not the same. The same foods on different days just means different BG levels. The endo is providing very little help. I am doing very well thanks to the forums that I have joined. Hopefully I can contribute here as well as learn even more from y'all.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome to our community! That is an interesting history you have with the loss of most of your pancreas. Does the remaining part still produce some insulin? Have you been diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic? Pumpong is a good thing for you. That is the best method of managing your diabetes. I hope you can find what you need here. Welcome aboard!

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is left is the head of the pancreas and the doc tells me that I was getting enough insulin for about 9 months after the onset of the pancreatitis. I was in the hospital for just over 5 months and 1 week. I lost over 60 pounds. I was not eating very much so the insulin requirement was very low. Then he says the pancreas just got plain old tired and quit altogether and stopped making insulin. As I ate more the weight increased as did the insulin requirements. I am not a true type 1. They call it secondary diabetes. I believe the definition is diabetes brought on by another illness. This has been an interesting journey. It could always be worse, but I am truly blessed. Like I am fond of saying--- waking up and seeing the green side of the grass is so much better than looking at the brown side.

Thank you all for the welcomes.

Frank

·
Registered
279 Posts
Welcome and I'm glad you decided to join us. It an interesting medical history you have. I can offer no advice as I have never heard of this before. I am glad it seems you are doing fairly well, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts