The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, though already a member of a couple of other diabetes forums which have proved to be a lifeline for support and advice.

I am a female who was diagnosed around 2.5 years ago (T2), sugars then around 12.5, last testing 5.7. It is a hard slog and sometimes I am so tempted to fall off the wagon, but manage to climb back on again.

Recently retired, just found my work too demanding as my husband also diagnosed with a long term illness also.

I live with my husband and cat, have three grown children, two step-daughter, three of my own grandchildren and three step-grandchildren and so we keep pretty busy. Like walking, gardening, reading etc. Would love to hear from other members.

Kathleen:)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, though already a member of a couple of other diabetes forums which have proved to be a lifeline for support and advice.

I am a female who was diagnosed around 2.5 years ago (T2), sugars then around 12.5, last testing 5.7. It is a hard slog and sometimes I am so tempted to fall off the wagon, but manage to climb back on again.

Recently retired, just found my work too demanding as my husband also diagnosed with a long term illness also.

I live with my husband and cat, have three grown children, two step-daughter, three of my own grandchildren and three step-grandchildren and so we keep pretty busy. Like walking, gardening, reading etc. Would love to hear from other members.

Kathleen:)
Hello Kathleen and :welcome: to the forum! We share a wealth of information on the forum. Read what you are interested in and if you can't find a topic that you are looking for just do a search in the white box on the forum page. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care, hope to see you soon!

Reactions: KMM154

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You seem to be doing very well!! Is that 5.7 your A1c? if so, that is super. You are busy and getting exercise, that is very good for you. If you also eat food that is healthy for your diabetes, then you should do very well, indefinitely. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was, and am very healthy. I hope you will ask any questions you may have, there are many experienced diabetics here who will help.

Richard

Reactions: KMM154
G

·
welcome Kathleen :) wow that's a good number if that's HbA1c result. I'm type 2 also and on insulin. I'm no where near retiring age as yet and I'm working full time... I do notice I get tired easily these days and my weekends lately I've been crashing literally exhausted. But I have other health issues too so it's probably just my body exhausted from symptoms I've got. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome Kathleen :) wow that's a good number if that's HbA1c result. I'm type 2 also and on insulin. I'm no where near retiring age as yet and I'm working full time... I do notice I get tired easily these days and my weekends lately I've been crashing literally exhausted. But I have other health issues too so it's probably just my body exhausted from symptoms I've got. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.
Hi all,

So nice of you to write back, I really do not have any great issues right now, but found the site and wanted to join.

When diagnosed I was on diet only, on Metformin now - starting at 1 a day and upping to 2 a day after a while. My GP said that although my bs was not high it was slowly climbing with every 6 month check and the Metformin would help my pancreas. Luckily I do not seem to have too many side effects from them. However, I was pleased to note that you feel my levels are good, I worry because she told me that ideally they should be under 5.0 for a diabetic. Seems to be genetic, as my brother was diagnosed soon after me and he really leads a healthy life style :).

Apart from the lethargy and tiredness, the only effects I seem to have are that when I am ill with a cold or a sick bug as I was earlier this year, it takes twice as long to get over them. Also, having some pain in right hip, thigh and leg which would appear to be proximal neuropathy, apparently quite common in T2s. This I understand can be combated with great effort, exercise tight bs control etc, this is my next goal!

I have just retired, as finding my work far to stressful and demanding, also my husband has been diagnosed with Parkinsonism, cause not yet known and he has second visit to neurologist tomorrow, this was a great shock for us both and he is only 59 - we had so many plans for our joint retirement and now feel we need to bring them forward. But hey, life could certainly be a lot worse.

So nice to 'meet' you all.

Kathleen

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Kathleen

I'm really new to the forum and to Diabetes having only had my DX confirmed tonight actually. I just feel the need right now to hang around people who understand and have walked the path I'm about to embark upon so while I have nothing profound to say about diabetes, I can at least say hi and welcome to the forum. I took my first tablet of Metformin 3 hours ago and I'm hoping it makes me feel better.

Take care from Coco

1 - 6 of 6 Posts