The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found out I am just above the line to be considered diabetic. I know absolutely nothing. I hope to learn a lot here.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Atticus, there are a lot of wise and well-experienced PWD (persons with diabetes) here, and they're more than happy to share what they've learned. They've helped me more than I can ever thank them for!

So pull up a chair & ask all the questions you want . . . that's what we're here for!

Thank you for joining us!

G

·
welcome Atticus :) you will find a wealth of information, knowledge, experiences on this forum. I hope you are feeling Ok after your diagnosis... it can be hard to take at first. Are you doing diet control only or have you also been put on medication? Hope you can visit and share with us often.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hello and welcome. It seems a bit overwhelming at first, but keep reading and most of it begins to make sense.

You can learn alot from Blood Sugar 101

And ask any questions you have - the people here are fantastic at giving the help you need.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome!
Do ask your questions and include a little more information please. This helps people make better suggestions and eliminates a lot of guessing about what your should do.

Information like A1c test, medications that your are taking, other medical conditions you may have, and if there are other facts that might help.

Good luck and keep a positive attitude. Keep a steel plate over the panic panel and know that this can be managed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have mostly been in denial. I am 50. I injured my knee in Panama (army) and have had 6 knee surgeries, so I cannot run like I used to.

I do not eat a lot, but I eat poorly. I am a managing attorney at a large firm and always seem to be eating on the run. I have not used the tester they gave me (denial).

I was given a prescription ( can't recall name) and took it for 2 days. It made me sick and I stopped taking it.

I finally decided I need to deal with it. I guess I need to figure out what to eat, etc. Do I test in the morning or at night? Do I eat first or not?

pretty silly questions I guess.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I think we all went through some kind of denial in the beginning. When I read on Blood Sugar 101 about the complications that could come from not taking care of my diabetes, I woke up. I decided I wanted to keep all my body parts. You are lucky to be dx'd early on, so you can take action. I was dx'd at the age of 56 and wasn't overweight and thought I ate well. I found out even though I was eating healthy I was eating way too many whole grain carbs, fruits and the wrong kind of veggies. I rarely ate meat, eggs, cheese or any fat. I have changed that and now eat more meat, eggs , lots of low starch veggies and rarely fruit. Although exercise is important I think diet is more important in maintaining bgs. Was the medication they gave you- metformin. It does cause some stomach distress which usually disappears after a few weeks. They also have an extended coated version that is gentler on the stomach. As far as the testing, it is important to know what your bgs run, especially after meals. If you are running high you then can adjust your meals next time. There is a lot to learn about diabetes but you have a great online community that is willing to help. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I recently found out I am just above the line to be considered diabetic. I know absolutely nothing. I hope to learn a lot here.
Hello AtticusFinch and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and get comfortable :couch2:. We have a full house :grouphug: of members that have so much knowledge about diabetes, start asking questions, we will answer your questions or refer you to a place to find answers. You need to be testing your blood sugar, your meter should be your best friend and it will help you how to learn how to eat. I would read what interests you and then ask questions. We can help you by supporting you and by helping you to realize that diabetes can be managed. I hope you have time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
don't yall run out of places to get jabbed?
Nope. We have our fingers and then the alternate sites, top of arm, thigh and we even had a member try a butt cheek. Be sure to read the instructions that come with your meter! What kind have you decided to get?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
don't yall run out of places to get jabbed?
I jab the same place every time . . . my left thumb. It's large, it's always handier than any other fingers, and since my "jabs" seem to heal shut almost instantly, there's never a problem. It doesn't get sore because I poke about four-five different places around the thumbnail.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Howdy, Atticus.

Yep that's a good meter. I always like to say the best meter is the one your insurance co. discounts most deeply! And forget the software -- they all suck!

Welcome to our world! Read a bunch, ask a lot, read some more ...

TODAY is my 2-year D-day, and I am still learning more!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should also say, I had decided I would start my program on Monday (have plans for Super Bowl) so, for breakfast, I have buscuits and gravy and buiscuits with apple jelly

1 - 20 of 24 Posts