The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! :vs_wave:

Recently diagnosed with Type 2. A1C was 10.6, and my first meter reading (Wake-up before starting Metformin) was 260. Taking 1000mg X 2. Take my readings 3X a day before meals and at Wake-up since 8/16/16. With moderate diet modifications and the medicine, my BG has steadily declined. My last 6 readings have been between 120 and 160 so we are on the right track. I am 6'1" 265lb. Weight loss is in my future :vs_closedeyes:

Been reading BG101 and find it very interesting and informative.

Snorebabe has been great in finding information and cooking to keep me "healthy". I just think she wants to keep me around 'cuz she likes to torture me.:biggrin:

I am a moderately active 12hr rotating shift worker and work for a VERY LARGE pharma company. I piddle around with some woodworking and we love riding our 2015 Goldwing. We recently got back from a 17 day motorcycle vacation.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Glad you joined us - welcome.

Sounds like you and Snorebaby dove right in and you're starting to get results. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider testing your bg after your meals too in the beginning, as the effect of your food is important to know. It will help guide you as to what foods are raising your bg to unacceptable levels and which ones are okay. If test strips is an issue, then you could test before just two meals and then before/after one.

You're courageous to let us know you work for Big Pharma! Unlike your wife, we'll try not to torture you :)

Reactions: mbuster

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you joined us - welcome.

Sounds like you and Snorebaby dove right in and you're starting to get results. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider testing your bg after your meals too in the beginning, as the effect of your food is important to know. It will help guide you as to what foods are raising your bg to unacceptable levels and which ones are okay. If test strips is an issue, then you could test before just two meals and then before/after one.

You're courageous to let us know you work for Big Pharma! Unlike your wife, we'll try not to torture you :)
Thanks for the welcome's!! The doctor is wanting to test before meals so I will do that right now. I will ask the Dr. about the testing after meals. I am scheduled to see a Dietician next week.

Luckily all my supplies are covered on my insurance as maintenance items. I have already noticed some changes in the way I feel. I wouldn't mind dropping 10-20lbs to help out either.

Looking forward to learning all I can about this. Real world experience is more valuable than all the written hypothesis'. I understand that everyone is different and the treatment could be a modified version of someone else's success.

Snorebabe and I quit smoking cold turkey after 30yrs (Jan. 2011). Gonna kick this in the azz too!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
welcome! the value for me in knowing BG before a meal is to know how much of a spike there is room for without going over my self-imposed limit of 140. from previous testing before and 1 and 2 hours after meals, i have a pretty good idea what different foods will do to my BG at different times of the day and in different portion sizes.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-treatment/78730-eat-your-meter-testing-method.html is what many of us follow, at least at first when we're still learning. It will fast-track your ability to lower your blood sugar.

After you have been to the dietitian and received their dietary recommendations - you'll be able to tell if the usual suggestion of 180 grams of carbohydrates a day (45g per meal etc.) is actually going to enable you to bring your BG down.. It may be that you will have to lower that number quite a bit, as did most of us here (i.e., I eat 30g or less per DAY and have achieved nearly normal BG levels).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eating to your meter method is what many of us follow, at least at first when we're still learning. It will fast-track your ability to lower your blood sugar.

After you have been to the dietitian and received their dietary recommendations - you'll be able to tell if the usual suggestion of 180 grams of carbohydrates a day (45g per meal etc.) is actually going to enable you to bring your BG down.. It may be that you will have to lower that number quite a bit, as did most of us here (i.e., I eat 30g or less per DAY and have achieved nearly normal BG levels).
Thanks for the link. We are still learning. It is a lot of information to take in at one time. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to keep track of my BG. I will have to sit down and make one for the meals/foods with corresponding info for my BG.

(Edit)....Had to remove your link as I am not an Active Member yet and it won't let me post the quote. I can't even update my profile!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
Welcome to the forum Snorebaby.

Don't be surprised if you get opposing recommendations from the doctor and especially from the dietician vs the advice you get here or from Bloodsugar 101. They don't seem to understand the necessity of testing for what you eat. If you do test timely and frequently your meter will show you the number of carbs they recommend are way too high for many diabetics. If you were eating very high carb before, their recommended 40-50 grams of carbs per meal may show signs of progress for a while, but eventually your BG starts going back up again. All I can say is believe the studies cited in Bloodsugar 101 as to damaging levels and trust what your meter is telling you. The number it gives may not be exact, but you will learn if it is high or low when comparing its readings to lab blood tests at the doctors office.

I always recommend the 'smile and nod' method when getting advice from the medical community, especially when it comes to most of their ADA based advice. It beats arguing with them and usually isn't worth the stress it causes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum Snorebaby.

.......I always recommend the 'smile and nod' method when getting advice from the medical community, especially when it comes to most of their ADA based advice. It beats arguing with them and usually isn't worth the stress it causes.
Yep...."Smile and Wave Boys, Smile and Wave".:vs_cool:

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hi Snorebaby (and Snorebabe :vs_cool:)

I am late in the game in responding but I read a few of your posts and what I haven't seen is the basics of what you eat on a typical day. there is a ton of research here and folks here that can definitely help you find the balance that can probably improve your BG significantly.

When I first joined I was eating oatmeal and fruit and other things because they are 'healthy' :vs_no_no_no: . My BG was 396 on April 4th and for the last 4 months it ranges between 70 - 95. I am on no medication so the difference is all in the food I eat.

I am in ketosis (less than 30g of carbs per day) and besides lowering BG, I have also lowered my blood pressure and lost almost 70 pounds since April 4.

Going LCHF is the way to go for a diabetic in my opinion. If you can sustain a ketogenic lifestyle , its even better in my opinion

What foods are you eating?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Snorebaby....welcome aboard! I too have one of the women in my life that insists on trying to keep me going! We have been married for over 47 years and she is still trying to 'change me'??!!

I have been a type 2 for a bit over 10 years now. I always tried to follow the instructions of my doctor and the dietician I was sent to. I was initially put on metformin, then after a couple of years I was put on slow acting insulin, then after a few more months they added Januvia (which I stopped taking do to side effects). I was continually increasing my insulin dosage and over time I went from 26units nightly to 126units nightly! I got so I swear I 'slushed' when I walked! Yet, slowly but surely my BS crept up until finally in 2014 my A1c was at 7.9!

It was in April of 2015 that I found this website and I read and researched all I could find on eating Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) and Testing with your meter to find out how my body reacts to various foods. On 5/1/2015 I began following the LCHF lifestyle. The first couple of weeks were interesting. I never got hungry and ate as much as I wanted, keeping my carb intake below 100g per day. To cut this story short, by July of 2015 my A1c was at 5.8! I had dropped my insulin injections back down to 30g per day. My weight had dropped 50 lbs. my blood pressure was 125/80 and my Cholesterol were on goal with what my doctor wants for diabetics.

This life change saved my life! I can do this, it was not hard. As I went along I found more and more recipes and food choices I could make. My weight loss has slowed and my A1c fluctuates between 6.4 and 5.8 depending on how good I am at staying under 100g per day. But my overall health is so much improved my doctor calls me his ‘poster child’! Thank God I found this website and chose to follow LCHF, and not my doctors’ advice. He even admits that what I have done is great and he encourages me to stay with it…

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I am late in the game in responding but I read a few of your posts and what I haven't seen is the basics of what you eat on a typical day. there is a ton of research here and folks here that can definitely help you find the balance that can probably improve your BG significantly.

When I first joined I was eating oatmeal and fruit and other things because they are 'healthy' :vs_no_no_no: . My BG was 396 on April 4th and for the last 4 months it ranges between 70 - 95. I am on no medication so the difference is all in the food I eat.

I am in ketosis (less than 30g of carbs per day) and besides lowering BG, I have also lowered my blood pressure and lost almost 70 pounds since April 4.

Going LCHF is the way to go for a diabetic in my opinion. If you can sustain a ketogenic lifestyle , its even better in my opinion

I have been eating LCHF for about 4 weeks, shortly after joining this board. I am feeling great and have already lost ~15lbs and my BG numbers are looking good averaging 128 the past 14 days.

I try to stay under 50g a day, but don't fret too much right now if I go over a little. 75g a day is my max that I will allow myself. I figure that the more I learn the better I will get at it. My goal is to eliminate/reduce the medications as much as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi hftmrock. Since I'm doing the majority of the cooking, I will try to answer this question. I say, Try, as Snorebaby works 12 hr. rotating shifts so he eats differently when he's on day shift vs. night shift. On days shift, his breakfast consist of homemade egg muffins ( I scramble eggs and add to them different items, (sausage, ham, cheese, black olives, bell peppers, onions, bacon, mushrooms and anything else that I might want to throw in the mix and in any combinations) Bake them in a muffin tin. No Bread, flat bread, tortilla shells or tater tots !! On night shift, he either cooks eggs, sausage or bacon or I have ground up pork rinds and used them in place of bread crumbs to batter chicken strips and depends on my mood I will either bake or fry them and freeze them for later. Last week I made a batch of marinara and froze it. I made a batch of meatballs with the ground up pork rinds in place of bread crumbs and he has been nibbling on them for a snack, so looks like I need to make some more to have for spaghetti. I have used the spaghetti squash in place of angel hair pasta. I have learned to cook cauliflower in many different ways. Grilled burgers are eaten with lettuce wrapped around them in place of the bun. His lunches consist of the last night dinner. I have read alot of recipes on here and on another recommended site (dietdoctor) I also have googled some recipes with the paleo diet but since I'm allergic to shellfish and nuts, I have to really be careful with the paleo recipes. I love to cook and I love to experiment with recipes. Snorebaby laughs at me as I tell him I tried a new recipe today but I didn't like some of the ingredients so I changed them...hahahaha so much for their recipe. Once his new meter arrives he will keep a food log and we will find out what works for his BG and what doesn't. Hope that helped to answer what he is eating.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Snorebabe - you are amazing. You guys really dove in, and your support is tremendous. You sound like an incredible cook, so please know ... I'll be keeping an eye on our recipe section for your contributions in time - and trying them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts