The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have extreme fatigue. I am always drinking something all day and night while i am awake and using the restroom mostly because my mouth is dry. I have noticed vision problems in low light and reading but i am not sure if that is unrelated. I have noticed numbness and tingling at times but i attributed that to that fact i sit at a desk all day long or that i am laying on my arm or hand . My wounds are very slow to heal as well.

I find that eat more food than i need to because i am tired and food gives me energy although i always seem to need more food or sugar to even function which i used to get from drinking mass amounts of soda. Sometimes i feel fine but i am wondering if what i am eating or drinking is causing bouts of fatigue.

I am 5'9 and weighed about 250. I lost 47 lbs and i am down to 203 and working on at least another 20 lbs.

I know nothing about Diabetes does the food and fatigue sound familiar to Diabetes? Is there a cheap way to test for diabetes? what should i do if you think i have Diabetes?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello shaido. There are things you can do -
1) make an appointment with your doctor,
2) go to Walmart/Walgreen/Kroger or some other discount store and get an inexpensive meter/strips and start testing when you waken and after meals, and
3) begin eliminating simple carbohydrates from your diet.

Many of your symptoms are those of diabetes, true, but only the doctor's tests can diagnose it.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy a Relion meter and test your blood before and after meals. THAT is as cheap as it gets.

I hope your results are reassuring ... MINE were not -- 447 when I got to it!

Did your weight come off a bit too easily? That'd be another symptom.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have extreme fatigue. I am always drinking something all day and night while i am awake and using the restroom mostly because my mouth is dry. I have noticed vision problems in low light and reading but i am not sure if that is unrelated. I have noticed numbness and tingling at times but i attributed that to that fact i sit at a desk all day long or that i am laying on my arm or hand . My wounds are very slow to heal as well.

I find that eat more food than i need to because i am tired and food gives me energy although i always seem to need more food or sugar to even function which i used to get from drinking mass amounts of soda. Sometimes i feel fine but i am wondering if what i am eating or drinking is causing bouts of fatigue.

I am 5'9 and weighed about 250. I lost 47 lbs and i am down to 203 and working on at least another 20 lbs.

I know nothing about Diabetes does the food and fatigue sound familiar to Diabetes? Is there a cheap way to test for diabetes? what should i do if you think i have Diabetes?
Those are almost the exact symptoms that I exhibited before I was DX'ed. I would strongly recommend you get to a Dr. and get yourself tested. Even if the results are negative, somethine is wrong and you can start to figure it out.
Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Hey! I wouldn't want to scare you either but your symptoms sound familiar to me...I suggest you set an appointment at your doctor's as soon as possible

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those are many of the same symptoms I had. I also noticed I was getting sick a lot (like every week it was something new). You should really make an appointment with your doctor. Chance's are you do have diabetes, but it isn't the end of the world. It is just a change in lifestyles. Good luck and take care of yourself!

Taylor

·
Registered
213 Posts
All good advice here. There is excellent information about diabetes on the internet, but sites contradict each other and can supply false information and myths. In your situation, your doctor is your best resource.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
(Going off topic here for a sec, just to welcome you two latest posters . . . Taylor & Checochinican. Glad to have you with us - be sure to visit often & tell us more about yourselves & how you manage your diabetes.)

:welcome:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yep. These could be diabetes symptoms. Best to go to the doctor. If you do decide to test at home, I would start by fasting for 12 hours then check your blood. There are many different schools of thought on what to consider 'high' glucose levels.

If I tested above 110 in the morning, I would deffinately see a doctor.

(I get the 110 number because that is the 'target number' that I am to try to stay below in the morning.)

You can get a reading higher than 110 and NOT be diabetic...so don't panic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.