The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, the whole thing. It was glorious.
Funny thing though, my sugar went DOWN afterwards. It was 124 when I ate it, 102 two hours later.

This isn’t the first time. I’ve had exactly three since being diagnosed, and I’ve checked at different time intervals after eating them.

Any idea what the heck is up with that? This is the only thing I’ve found since I’ve been diagnosed I seem to have lower sugar after eating it.

I do have a theory, but I want to see what y’all think first.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
Did you by chance measure an hour after you ate it? Simple sugars don't take long to metabolize. They cause spikes that typically are higher initially then drop quickly, unlike what more complex carbohydrates do, which don't spike BG as high but take much longer to taper off. I am guessing that your secondary insulin production went into overdrive because of the early jump in blood sugar didn't respond so much to the initial insulin?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you by chance measure an hour after you ate it? Simple sugars don't take long to metabolize. They cause spikes that typically are higher initially then drop quickly, unlike what more complex carbohydrates do, which don't spike BG as high but take much longer to taper off. I am guessing that your secondary insulin production went into overdrive because of the early jump in blood sugar didn't respond so much to the initial insulin?

This time, no. But one of the other times I ate a snickers, yes. And the result was similar, it was lower than it was before I ate it.
And what you said is exactly what I was thinking, insulin production going into overdrive. Which I guess is still something I need to avoid.

I’m sure I’ll get a craving again, and I’ll take a couple reads within the first hour and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
High insulin levels can do bad things for us as well as high BG levels..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts