The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... with a twist.

I found a "Cobs Bread" in my local city opened up, and thought I'd go get something for the family to munch on - I hear they have some nice treats, and since my Dx I haven't bought them much for desserts...

While I'm there I see something called "High Fiber, Low GI Bread" ... supposed to be low GI and 3x the fiber of their regular bread... They had a small mini loaf so I bought one... (Statistics on their website show 30g carbs / 4g dietary fibre for two slices... )

Last night around 9:20 I ate a grilled cheese with ham sandwich. Swiss AND jalapeno havarti with some old fashioned (no sugar) ham. And yes, I used real butter for both sides of sandwich. (Yum). Ate it happily (but kinda terrified) and then I tested to see what happens... (Very different texture btw... most definitely NOT like normal white bread.)

at 9:10 (before sandwich) I was at 7.3 (2hrs after a fruit/juice-laden smoothie, no exercise to lower);
11:20 (2hr post sandwich) I was at 6.4/6.6 with two tests (no effect yet on sugars);
1:26am (4hr post sandwich) I was at 7.1 (only a little high for evening);
6:14am (wake-up, fasting test) I was 6.8

If it did anything to me between 1:26am and 6:14am I don't know ... But I was pretty surprised at the readings, I thought they'd be MUCH higher. (I'd like to try it again after a few days and test also at 6hrs post-sandwich... just to see...)

So either this bread really is decently low GI or my body is getting much better at managing blood sugars.

I wouldn't eat it everyday ... maybe once every three or four days as a treat. (30 carbs in a meal is VERY high for me, I usually do about 50-60 for a full day, and eat 6 times a day currently)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I often make grilled cheese sandwiches on sprouted grain bread with coconut oil. I find I get a 1 hour spike around 140 but usually am under 120 at the 2 hour mark. I think adding the fat helps avoid the spike.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
... with a twist.

I found a "Cobs Bread" in my local city opened up, and thought I'd go get something for the family to munch on - I hear they have some nice treats, and since my Dx I haven't bought them much for desserts...

While I'm there I see something called "High Fiber, Low GI Bread" ... supposed to be low GI and 3x the fiber of their regular bread... They had a small mini loaf so I bought one... (Statistics on their website show 30g carbs / 4g dietary fibre for two slices... )

Last night around 9:20 I ate a grilled cheese with ham sandwich. Swiss AND jalapeno havarti with some old fashioned (no sugar) ham. And yes, I used real butter for both sides of sandwich. (Yum). Ate it happily (but kinda terrified) and then I tested to see what happens... (Very different texture btw... most definitely NOT like normal white bread.)

at 9:10 (before sandwich) I was at 7.3 (2hrs after a fruit/juice-laden smoothie, no exercise to lower);
11:20 (2hr post sandwich) I was at 6.4/6.6 with two tests (no effect yet on sugars);
1:26am (4hr post sandwich) I was at 7.1 (only a little high for evening);
6:14am (wake-up, fasting test) I was 6.8

If it did anything to me between 1:26am and 6:14am I don't know ... But I was pretty surprised at the readings, I thought they'd be MUCH higher. (I'd like to try it again after a few days and test also at 6hrs post-sandwich... just to see...)

So either this bread really is decently low GI or my body is getting much better at managing blood sugars.

I wouldn't eat it everyday ... maybe once every three or four days as a treat. (30 carbs in a meal is VERY high for me, I usually do about 50-60 for a full day, and eat 6 times a day currently)
30 grams of carbs is just about the norm for white bread (2 slices). Just a tip, sour dough bread is low GI.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tell us more about this bread, Beefy! Like the brand name! heheh!

It sounds good for a rare treat, and you could always confine your intake to ONE slice, y'know . . . I've made great strides in perfecting HALF-sandwiches - use the same filling with only one slice of bread. (oh hush - I already know you're a big eater! :D)

And sourdough bread IS lower GI, but not low enough for me. Even my own homemade sourdough still spikes me to the moon. :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell us more about this bread, Beefy! Like the brand name! heheh!
Cobs Bread is a chain (franchise I think) bakery in Canada. They bake all their products from scratch, on-site every day with no preservatives.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I have been using a sourdough bread from Nature's Own that is 23g carb for 3 slices. Pretty darn tasty too!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Never knew that sourdough bread was lower in GI than other breads. I've pretty much given up hope of eating bread because it makes my BG spike upward pretty darned fast :(

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Never knew that sourdough bread was lower in GI than other breads. I've pretty much given up hope of eating bread because it makes my BG spike upward pretty darned fast :(
Sour dough bread is a mixed blessing. It is high in carbs but low on the GI. Try sourdough bread and let us know what it does to your blood sugar.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it was definitely a low-GI bread, not my system.

Tonight I ate two pieces of the families pizza to see if the crust affected me any worse than the low-GI bread...

From 6.3 (114) pre-dinner to 8.4 (151) three hours later... Boom. Definitely not able to do that.

=(

·
Registered
213 Posts
What great timing, Beefy! I was going to start a topic on white bread.

I tested white potatoes weeks ago, have been wanting to test white bread. Did that last evening.....

I bought a loaf from my supermarket that has a fantastic bakery. Never tried this bread before - "Tuscan" bread. Oh my goodness! What a fantastic tasting treasure, that is!!! Two hours after eating dinner (two slices of that bread were part of the meal), my glucose was 113. After three hours, 111. This morning's fasting - 104. That's what it's been recently.

In the interest of science, I'll repeat the test tonight. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts