The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also see on lots of gluten free forums etc that they don't like Bobs Red Mill Almond flour. yet that is the brand I can buy at Publix. I do see it on KingA flour site too.

I thought about about grinding my own . haven't priced almonds tho.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I buy both almond and coconut flour, online.

And I understand the no-recipes-to-be-found-after-I-bought but, if you google coconut flour recipes, there are TONS. There is also a book out, it is more for people with IBS but I found it easy to adapt the recipes.

CF is expensive, but you do use far less because it sucks up moisture like a sponge! so it comes out fairly reasonably-priced.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
CF is expensive, but you do use far less because it sucks up moisture like a sponge! so it comes out fairly reasonably-priced.
YES! Once you open it, be sure to double bag it in zip bags, because in a humid environment, it will soak up moisture JUST like a sponge!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I also see on lots of gluten free forums etc that they don't like Bobs Red Mill Almond flour. yet that is the brand I can buy at Publix. I do see it on KingA flour site too.

I thought about about grinding my own . haven't priced almonds tho.
I grind my own. I shopped around both my city (I'm in the suburbs of Calgary) and in Calgary itself until I found the best deal on almonds (turned out to be Costco) and then I grind 'em down.

Be careful when grinding - short pulses with time to cool in between, otherwise you get almond BUTTER instead of almond flour... it happens really fast, LOL. (Not that I'd know... :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I grind my own. I shopped around both my city (I'm in the suburbs of Calgary) and in Calgary itself until I found the best deal on almonds (turned out to be Costco) and then I grind 'em down.

Be careful when grinding - short pulses with time to cool in between, otherwise you get almond BUTTER instead of almond flour... it happens really fast, LOL. (Not that I'd know... :rolleyes:)

good to know. lol. I would love to have some almond butter too.
I haven't been to costco in a yr. looks like I should up my card. Plus take my old food processor out & dust it off.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Carolina, I just bought CF and AF online recently. Waiting for shipment to arrive. I think you can find better prices online than in the stores. It was somewhere around $8.99 in the grocery store, and I got for $4.44 for one (I think AF) and the other was $6.19 or something like that. So I wait until I have other things to order since shipping is $4.99 flat rate no matter how much you order. I had several supplements I needed, so I ordered those and the flour at the same time. I ended up saving over $50 this way.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carolina, I just bought CF and AF online recently. Waiting for shipment to arrive. I think you can find better prices online than in the stores. It was somewhere around $8.99 in the grocery store, and I got for $4.44 for one (I think AF) and the other was $6.19 or something like that. So I wait until I have other things to order since shipping is $4.99 flat rate no matter how much you order. I had several supplements I needed, so I ordered those and the flour at the same time. I ended up saving over $50 this way.

KingA has it for 8oz for$7.95. I am not buying it there.
coconutF was Bobs red mill was $7.19 16 oz.

this type of flour is $$$$$$$ wow.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
KingA has it for 8oz for$7.95. I am not buying it there.
coconutF was Bobs red mill was $7.19 16 oz.

this type of flour is $$$$$$$ wow.
I believe the CF I bought online is Bob's Red Mill and it was $6.19 for 16 oz. So, a savings of over a dollar at least. The AF was like 1/2 the price as in the store. So overall good purchase. I do not think you use CF or AF as you do regular flour; I believe you use much less of it. Most recipes I've seen call for Tablespoons over cups. But, Carolina, let's face it, being healthy in America is expensive. That is why so many people are obese, failing health problems, diabetes epidemic...the starches are much cheaper to buy and keep you full. It's too easy to give in to this type of eating when the funds are running very low. These people are not getting quality fruits and veggies, and most of starch they are eating is refined and overprocessed. It's really quite sad. But, I know what you mean with the price tag on these flours. I do try to shop around and see what my best deal is.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy my almold meal at Trader Joes for $3.99 per pound. I know some prefer the blanched almond flour but the almond meal is cheaper and works fine for me. I also use ground golden flaxseed. Most places it is about $5 a pound but I just found some at Costco. I think it was 3 lbs for $6.99, so a deal. I buy my Coconut Flour at Netrition. It was pricey but I use it in small almounts. It is great in biscuits. I keep my opened bag in the freezer to keep it fresh. I think I do use Flaxseed and Almond meal more than the Coconut Flour. You can really substitute any of the 3 for each other. I also use vanilla whey powder in some recipes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts