The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had glasses for over ten years. This morning I realized I no longer needed them. I know diabetes makes your eyesight blurry which was one of the symptoms I first got, but since starting the insulin my eyes have gone from incredibly blurry to my normal prescription and straight past it to practically correcting my vision altogether! Has this happened to anyone else? Is it temporary? And do you think this means I've been diabetic for a lot longer than I thought?

I'm really surprised by this development. I did expect the extra eye blur to be corrected when I started medication, but I didn't think it would correct my eyes so completely.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I've had glasses for over ten years. This morning I realized I no longer needed them. I know diabetes makes your eyesight blurry which was one of the symptoms I first got, but since starting the insulin my eyes have gone from incredibly blurry to my normal prescription and straight past it to practically correcting my vision altogether! Has this happened to anyone else? Is it temporary? And do you think this means I've been diabetic for a lot longer than I thought?

I'm really surprised by this development. I did expect the extra eye blur to be corrected when I started medication, but I didn't think it would correct my eyes so completely.
Isnt it awesome? The new contacts I got 3 months ago are sitting in a bathroom drawer. I cant wear them anymore...I see better without them :) My eyes are still adjusting. My vision is better but I have become much more sensitive to the light. Especially when I first wake up. The glare is so awful I can hardly see. After about an hour it clears up very suddenly and I am fine the rest of the day. I have to say it is getting better slowly though so I am hoping it will go away altogether. In case they have not mentioned it to you yet....it is important as a diabetic that you see an eye doctor and have your eyes dilated and retinas checked at least once a year. Might be something to look into doing as soon as you can :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

My vision changed and my glasses were too strong, but I still need glasses. My glasses prescription has changed 6 times since last July. I have developed cataracts and will be having surgery in 10 days on my left eye. Be sure to get your eyes checked even if your vision has improved. Diabetes can affect your vision and you need to find out why your vision has changed.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Just before diagnosis I had problems seeing up close and even got a pair of reading glasses! But it went back to normal as soon as my sugars lowered. But it is starting to happen again :( I have had to wear glasses or contacts for about 30 yrs now to see distance and my prescription seemed to stay the same even with high bs.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hey Jason, that A1C is looking good!

I had an experience where my eyesight got better on a temporary basis only to find out that there were other problems going on. I strongly suggest that anyone who has a temporary experience of their site getting better to see an eye doctor for a diabetic exam. The sooner problems are discovered the easier they are to detect and treat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts