The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input!

I am 24, healthy, no significant family history of diabetes and a year ago I was accidentally diagnosed with diabetes when I tried to donate blood plasma and my glucose was through the roof.

Because of my age and history, and the fact that I am not overweight, I was diagnosed as type 1 and it was assumed it was late onset but caught early where I still had some functioning pancreas. I was controlled with metformin for only a few months before starting insulin.

Here's where it gets tricky...All my bloodwork points to type 2. One endo insisted I was type 2. High insulin production. High C-Peptides. High TriGl. Low HDLS. High Cholesterol. But, I am on insulin almost instantly...clearly insulin resistant.

Now, I cannot get under control. I am very careful with my treatment plan and updating my doctor with sugar logs. I am on the insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor. I eat well, I exercise (at least more than before) and my insulin is never enough! I am consistently taking more than recommended to bring my levels down after eating, even when they are fine before I eat. I have updated my settings (carb. to insulin ratio etc.) and it works for a few days then its back to yo-yo levels. Sometimes I'm low, then high within hours of not doing anything..eg sleeping.

I do not fit the typical type 2 profile of a diabetic, and my current doctor SWEARS I am anything but type 2. However, all my research tells me I am not type 1 or 1.5 either. I've researched EVERYTHING and nothing seems to fit my issues. I'm trying a 3rd endo doc as soon as possible (third this year) hoping for some insight.

I'm just hoping someone out there had a similar experience and can tell me where to go from here. It doesn't matter what type I am, but I can't get this under control and I think that there is something else going on here that my doctors are missing.

I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback you can give me!! :confused:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I need some input!

I am 24, healthy, no significant family history of diabetes and a year ago I was accidentally diagnosed with diabetes when I tried to donate blood plasma and my glucose was through the roof.

Because of my age and history, and the fact that I am not overweight, I was diagnosed as type 1 and it was assumed it was late onset but caught early where I still had some functioning pancreas. I was controlled with metformin for only a few months before starting insulin.

Here's where it gets tricky...All my bloodwork points to type 2. One endo insisted I was type 2. High insulin production. High C-Peptides. High TriGl. Low HDLS. High Cholesterol. But, I am on insulin almost instantly...clearly insulin resistant.

Now, I cannot get under control. I am very careful with my treatment plan and updating my doctor with sugar logs. I am on the insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor. I eat well, I exercise (at least more than before) and my insulin is never enough! I am consistently taking more than recommended to bring my levels down after eating, even when they are fine before I eat. I have updated my settings (carb. to insulin ratio etc.) and it works for a few days then its back to yo-yo levels. Sometimes I'm low, then high within hours of not doing anything..eg sleeping.

I do not fit the typical type 2 profile of a diabetic, and my current doctor SWEARS I am anything but type 2. However, all my research tells me I am not type 1 or 1.5 either. I've researched EVERYTHING and nothing seems to fit my issues. I'm trying a 3rd endo doc as soon as possible (third this year) hoping for some insight.

I'm just hoping someone out there had a similar experience and can tell me where to go from here. It doesn't matter what type I am, but I can't get this under control and I think that there is something else going on here that my doctors are missing.

Tony, I can see why you are confused. Maybe the 3rd endo will be your charm and get a diagnosis for you.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What do you call "eat well"?
how much carbs, fat, protein?

might help if we had some numbers. pre meal, 1 hour post, 2 hour post...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I need some input!

Honestly? Sounds like T2 to me. High c-peptide and high insulin levels....you are obviously producing a normal amount of insulin. Still have high blood sugar...you are obviously insulin resistant. Classic signs of T2. A type 1 would be positive for the antibodies that destroyed their beta cells...and they would have low c-peptide.

As far as insulin use goes, many T2 diabetics benefit from insulin therapy. I personally believe starting insulin therapy early is a good thing and will actually preserve some of your normal pancreatic function. What happens to a lot of T2's is that their pancreas sort of burns out over time from having to work so hard.

T2's dont always fit the idea of what you think they should according to how the media has portrayed them. I dont fit the "typical" T2 idea. I was diagnosed when I was only 16 years old, still fit and active. I honestly wish I had started insulin therapy sooner than I did. I hammered my poor pancreas for years with drugs that stimulated the poor overworked organ to work even harder. I now have very little beta cell funtion left. My c-peptide is very low and I barely produce any insulin naturally anymore.

Whichever type you are....the important thing is to do whatever you need to do to keep it in control :) I am also on a pump and it has been the best thing for me to keep in better control. Are you still taking metformin? If not...I would ask your doctor about it...you are clearly insulin resistant and need it.

I am assuming you are carb counting if you are using a pump....how many carbs are you eating? You are correct in that if you arent back down to pre-meal levels within about 2 hours then you have consumed too many carbs for the insulin you took. Either need to adjust the ratio...or eat less carbs.

I also find depending on what I eat...the dosing on the pump makes a difference. For instance, if I am eating something fatty and carby...like pizza...or pasta with sauce, etc...I need to dose that meal as a dual wave. The fat in the meal slows digestion and spikes me later then normal, so by the time it spikes me I dont have as much insulin on board to cover it.

I find it to be a real challenge to manage T2 because the insulin resistance really throws a monkey wrench in things. I find my resistance is different at different times of the day as well. I need more coverage in the morning and less in the evening. My basal rate also changes during the day. It can be done though. The pump has helped stabilize me and is way more effective than multiple daily injections.

Usually, for me....when I find I am having yo-yo levels like that I can attribute it to what I have been eating and how my exercise level has been for those days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I think it might be helpful to get another blood test done soon see if my levels have changed, but I do agree that I am probably type 2. I guess I find that confusing because of the image of type 2 I always had in my head and how it is preventable and could even go away in some cases. What is the science behind why a healthy person gets type 2?

Like you, my resistance is worse in the morning after breakfast. As far as carbs and eating healthy, I do the best I can but I'm not perfect. However, when I get into these bouts of frustration I get extremely careful for 2-3 days and pull out all the cards and do everything right so I can report back to my doctor in detail, "Look I ate this and I used exact label counting and I kept all my portions right etc". And that's how I know that something is off.

I guess I just get bummed out because I want to be healthy and take care of this but I just feel like all my efforts fail :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, and what is the dual wave? I guess I manually do that sometimes but is there a way to set it that way?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think it might be helpful to get another blood test done soon see if my levels have changed, but I do agree that I am probably type 2. I guess I find that confusing because of the image of type 2 I always had in my head and how it is preventable and could even go away in some cases. What is the science behind why a healthy person gets type 2?

Like you, my resistance is worse in the morning after breakfast. As far as carbs and eating healthy, I do the best I can but I'm not perfect. However, when I get into these bouts of frustration I get extremely careful for 2-3 days and pull out all the cards and do everything right so I can report back to my doctor in detail, "Look I ate this and I used exact label counting and I kept all my portions right etc". And that's how I know that something is off.

I guess I just get bummed out because I want to be healthy and take care of this but I just feel like all my efforts fail :eek:hwell:
Personally, I think it is genetic to be insulin resistant...there is something going on in there that is not allowing the insulin to carry the glucose into the cells where it belongs. I think most overweight people that are diagnosed have likely been T2 for a long time and just didnt realize it. When you have insulin resistance, the glucose that cant get into the cells ends up stored as fat. Therefore, you gain weight. The more weight you gain...the worse your resistance it....setting up this whole vicious cycle. Losing weight and exercise will lower insulin resistance. Which will lower your need for insulin. Wich will lower your tendency to gain weight.....and so on and so on....Some diabetics can control their blood sugar on diet and exercise alone....their resistance is obviously not as high as mine is. We are all different. I dont consider it to be cured when your blood sugar is under control. If they started eating again large amounts of carbs and quit exercising their blood sugar would be high again. So to me, that isnt a cure...that is control :)

I actually have a friend that has a 9 year old daughter that has been diagnosed as T2 diabetic. She has no antibodies for T1 and has a normal c-peptide. She is currently well controlled on metformin. In my case I was young also. The only reason they even found mine when they did is because they were looking for it. My grandmother, mother and sister...all T2 diabetics. If not for the fact they were monitoring me for it, I likely would have gone a long time and gained a lot of weight before they found it. So...it happens.

I know its frustrating...we all fall and none of us are perfect for sure. Many of the people here have listened to me whine when I wake up with a blood sugar of 130 but confess I had a late night cheeseburger before bed :p All you can do is the best you can do :)

Maybe if you can give us some idea of what you are eating we can ferret out some hidden carbs for you.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Oh, and what is the dual wave? I guess I manually do that sometimes but is there a way to set it that way?
What type of pump are you using? Mine has an option that instead of a "normal bolus" I can give a square wave or a dual wave. The dual wave allows me to give a certain percentage of my bolus up front...then spread the rest of the bolus over whatever time period I determine I need it for. I thought all pumps had that option but to be honest I don't know. Richard is really the pump guru here :) I am still pretty new to pumping and have had it less than 6 months. I use the minimed Revel pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pam, first of all I am jealous of your A1C! Congrats.

I just thought I should also mention that my current doc who swears I am not type 2 justifies it by saying that even though my insulin and c-peptides are high, my body is in a fluke and producing non functioning insulin and eventually all the cells will "give up".

Thanks for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts