The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have finally gotten my diabetes diet back on track after a few months of economic hardship, but now something weird is happening. I'm waking up with high BG's (today 145), had a carb-free breakfast of eggs and sausage, two hours later I'm up to 149, then a low-carb (maybe less than 10?) lunch of soup and salad, and now 5 hours later, I'm back at 145! Why would this be happening when I'm eating eating virtually no carbs at all? I mean, if I have to have high blood sugar, I should at least be entitled to having the fun of eating carbs! :mad:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
What meds are you taking?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
if you are able to get to see a dr, i think its a good idea. if you are unable to see a dr, see if you can get some Metformin to start taking

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hi, Rosie!

Glad to see some things are getting better. Eric's advice is most wise, and I hope you are able to take it. I'd add only that you/the doc look into the possibility that Depakote and/or Ambien might be affecting your glucose levels.

Best Vibes continue!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Rosie!

Glad to see some things are getting better. Eric's advice is most wise, and I hope you are able to take it. I'd add only that you/the doc look into the possibility that Depakote and/or Ambien might be affecting your glucose levels.

Best Vibes continue!
Hi Shalynne,

I don't think it's the depakote, per se, however it has definitely increased my hunger and ONLY for bad carbs, which unfortunately is all I've had access to for about two months now. So sadly, I've put back on the 20 pounds I lost in the first three months of my dx, so my focus is getting rid of that now. I'm wondering if maybe my high bg's now are my body's way of still recovering from nightly food-bank pasta dishes, like maybe my blood sugar's all "backed up"? :confused:

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Your body may just be purging all of its glucose you managed to store while eating more than your body could handle. My guess you will see some head way in time. May take some meds if things do not progress in a positive way.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your body may just be purging all of its glucose you managed to store while eating more than your body could handle. My guess you will see some head way in time. May take some meds if things do not progress in a positive way.
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. While I was eating badly, I rarely tested because I knew that the results would be terrible. I plan on asking my doc for some Metformin this week. :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I've been gone for a couple of weeks, but am so glad you are able to eat much better, Rosie. You'll best it yet...keep the faith!

Happy New Year to you,

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Aside from very low carb, what is the rest of your diet? If you eat more protein than your body actually requires for cell building and repair, the rest of it will become glucose entering your blood stream right away as glucose and/or getting stored as glycogen for future release. This latter one is particularly likely to show up in the morning.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Hi Shalynne,

I don't think it's the depakote, per se, however it has definitely increased my hunger and ONLY for bad carbs, which unfortunately is all I've had access to for about two months now. So sadly, I've put back on the 20 pounds I lost in the first three months of my dx, so my focus is getting rid of that now. I'm wondering if maybe my high bg's now are my body's way of still recovering from nightly food-bank pasta dishes, like maybe my blood sugar's all "backed up"? :confused:
That's probably right. I know when I fall off the wagon -- heck, when I just lean over the edge a bit too far for one meal -- it can take days to recover.

But some drugs can have effects as well, which might make a difference in determining the right dose of diabetes meds.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
What I have seen and read in several articles is when the human body stops eating carbs and begins the transformation into ketosis their body will purge the stored glucose it has remaining, leading to elevated BG. The same holds true when coming out of ketosis, your body will absorb the glucose to make as much glycogen as it can, thus leading to abnormally low BG level.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Tis a complicated Disorder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts