1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically food day:
2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon at breakfasts
1st snack
String cheese and a WASA cracker (thanks to whoever mentioned those)
Lunch
One piece of Arnolds rye flat bread with three pieces of ham and cheddar cheese (melted in the oven delicious) and a bowl of spring mix salad with broccoli and cauliflower and olive oil and vinegar dressing sprinkled with sunflower seeds
2nd snack
handful of almonds and blueberries
Supper
grilled fish with steamed veggies and a salad with bleu cheese dressing

And yes, I need to lose weight. I am 5 feet 4 inches and weigh 207

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is that full-fat cheese? Are you putting plenty of butter on your steamed veggies? Try some heavy cream with the blueberries. How about adding some dark-chocolate -- 70% cocoa or higher.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think you don't need to worry too much about not eating enough. Watch your weight and try to eat 4-5 small meals a day. Keep your proteins high and try to slowly drop off the weight. Just my opinion

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it is full fat cheese. And I have just started adding lots of butter to the veggies. I still feel terrible eating low carb. I think I might be anemic or just anxious.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Typically food day:
2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon at breakfasts
1st snack
String cheese and a WASA cracker (thanks to whoever mentioned those)
Lunch
One piece of Arnolds rye flat bread with three pieces of ham and cheddar cheese (melted in the oven delicious) and a bowl of spring mix salad with broccoli and cauliflower and olive oil and vinegar dressing sprinkled with sunflower seeds
2nd snack
handful of almonds and blueberries
Supper
grilled fish with steamed veggies and a salad with bleu cheese dressing

And yes, I need to lose weight. I am 5 feet 4 inches and weigh 207
Based on what you stated above, I estimate your day as follows:

Breakfast: 362 Calories, 1g Carb
Snack: 115 Calories, 8.4g Carb
Lunch: 414 Calories, 14g Carb
Snack: 200 Calories, 8g Carb
Supper: 450 Calories, 6g Carb

Total: 1,541 Calories, 37.4g Carb

Based on other statistics you've given to us (Female, age 36, 5'4" and 207lbs) I'm going to estimate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) at about 1,678 calories - meaning at bedrest you'd need that many calories to maintain weight. Eating fewer calories on a daily basis than your BMR calls for will often put the body into starvation mode. It's best to keep the caloric intake ABOVE the BMR level in order to maintain muscle mass and burn fat.

The average activity level for someone your age with kids will add about 600-700 calories into that mix, meaning to maintain weight you'd need around 2,300 calories daily to maintain your weight. (If you are doing daily exercise, such as walking/cycling or whatever, add that amount in also...)

The key to losing weight for you is likely to eat a little more than you currently are, and increase your activity level depending on what you currently do. If you add in activity that takes your total caloric expenditure (BMR + Activity) to about 2,500 calories, then take in approximately 2,000 calories daily - you'll likely find that you both feel better (more energy, etc.) and lose more weight.

Of course, we're all different and many things can factor into it. But this should give you a good starting reference point.

Keep the carbs low - you're doing GREAT there. It takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for the body to adapt - but once it does things get better.

**Note, if you start exercising like crazy (like I did, sometimes riding by bike hard for 4-5 hours in a day) you'll need to add more carbs in to fuel that exercise. Those carbs should be ingested both before (45-60 minutes prior to avoid spiking) and after (with protein) the exercise.

Reactions: wdmama

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! Thanks so much Beefy! That is a lot of information. Can you tell I am a little anxious about this whole diabetes thing? I am obsessed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
We are all a little obsessed we have to be to regulate stuff. Beefy you need to be a personal diabetes trainer. Might be a business there with 10 % of the population diabetic. Great review obviously I need to find a way to increase calories without spiking. Well I have officially blown off 20 lbs and now at an all time low of 165. Think I have about ten pounds of body fat left. The least I have ever weighed is 155 after a bad case of the measles in my mind twenties and I was a rail. My 34" everything are now way too big. Have to start wearing my 20 year old sons stuff LOL

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I never count calories, just carbs. But if I am hungry I eat something. I find the String cheese usually doesn't fill me up. Try spreading some almond butter on those WASA crackers. I also buy Atkins Bars and use them for a quick breakfast or snack. Also try some Carb Smart Bars for a treat once in awhile. We are about the same height and 12 years ago weighted almost 200 pounds. Going low carb and cutting out most things like bread, pasta, fruit, etc I am now under 120, my college weight. Also a lot of us use Coconut Oil in all sorts of ways. I incorperate it into most of my baked goods. It fills you up .

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Relax, don't bother with all the counting...just pay serious attention to your daily carb count and the rest will fall into line. Calories just don't count! You need some to chase kids and keep up your way of life, but honestly, Jwags is right, if you only keep those carbs down your weight will drop and you'll be amazed at how fast it will happen.

With no attention to them, but a full glare at carbs, I lost 50 lbs in about 6 months and never was hungry at all. I think the fats I got from bacon, eggs, mayo and coconut oil did the secret!

Good luck,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the important thing is to eat whenever you are hungry, but eat low carb. The only time I consume complex carbs is before or after exercise to fuel me up. If you are hungry all the time, you need to eat more. The trick is to have lots of low carb snacks made up ahead of time. Make a batch of deviled eggs or cut up raw veggies and make some dip or hummus. I use those WASA crackers to break up and dip in the hummus or spinach dip. When I am travelling or go out to eat I carry some in a baggie to eat instead of bread in the restaurant. Also I like to have things like chicken , tuna or egg salad made up to snack on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts