The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my first post triggered a spam filter cause I posted an image I found after clicking shopping.

Anyway I use the 91% alcohol spray bottle. It drys faster and no litter to clean up.

·
Super Moderator
9,635 Posts
Not sure what happened to your first post, kept taking me to "Page not Found" I reported it so maybe someone will find and fix it.

I never use alcohol on my fingers, drys out and toughens the skin. Wash with warm water, use soap if dirty, dry with paper towel, test. I also change out my lancet a couple of times a year.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always wash my hands with a soap and warm water, and completely dry my hands just before testing. I noticed test results from unwashed fingertips differ significantly from washed hands test results.
To me it seems a tiny bit of sweat on our (or mine) fingertips is enough to alter readings. Alcohol too even when is dried up alters test result.

·
Banned
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always wash my hands with a soap and warm water, and completely dry my hands just before testing. I noticed test results from unwashed fingertips differ significantly from washed hands test results.
To me it seems a tiny bit of sweat on our (or mine) fingertips is enough to alter readings. Alcohol too even when is dried up alters test result.
In a high or low way ?

We all know sometimes we get a real gusher finger stick so one time I tested the same drop twice and it was a 12 point difference.

I am going to make a thread meter accuracy but I am still curious hand-wash/alcohol makes yours higher or lower ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
In a high or low way ?

We all know sometimes we get a real gusher finger stick so one time I tested the same drop twice and it was a 12 point difference.

I am going to make a thread meter accuracy but I am still curious hand-wash/alcohol makes yours higher or lower ?
Lower from alcohol. If fingertips aren't bone dry after alcohol, the difference is about 30-40% lower. With dried up alcohol it's less. 12 points difference isn't that much.

I know sugar in our blood isn't as homogenous, but I was testing multiple times with unwashed and washed hands, or after cleaning fingertips with alcohol, like 10-12 times in few minutes.

Depends what I was touching, multiple readings were always lower or higher than multiple readings from just washed hands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts