The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing so well, watching my carbs and walking daily. Today I let myself down. Went to the grocery store and on the way out I bought a chocolate caramel bar and I ate it all! Why did I do that? Have you ever experienced food failure and how can I stop that from happening?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I have been doing so well, watching my carbs and walking daily. Today I let myself down. Went to the grocery store and on the way out I bought a chocolate caramel bar and I ate it all! Why did I do that? Have you ever experienced food failure and how can I stop that from happening?
Oh my yes . . . you're in very good company on that "fail"! It happens to almost everybody & those lovely displays at the checkout line are no help at all! :rolleyes: Pick yourself up, dust yourself off & move forward again. :hug:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you ever experienced food failure and how can I stop that from happening?
I failed a few weeks ago. I was in a celebratory event and was also depressed for a different reason. I ate too many dried cherries over 3-4 days to celebrate, and to relieve the depression. Now I know that I have to be very careful with dried cherries, and to find healthier ways to relieve the depression.

One way to avoid food failure is to separate the emotions from reality. What were all of the contributors to your food failure? Can you separate out what you did right from what needs improvement? Think about what you might do differently the next time you're in the same situation, and then move forward from there. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My daughter graduated College on Sunday and after we got her apartment cleaned out we went to a local pub. Their specialty was sweet potato fries, and you bettcha I ordered some. Believe it or not bgs were not too bad- 94 before bed and 88 the next morning. So cheating once in awhile is ok, as long as it is once in awhile. I carry atkins bars with me everywhere. When I have that urge for a real candy bar I pop one out.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
No, never have. But many have. Nothing you can do about it now. Try to be better going forward.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It does happen to some people... The thing is to FIX IT by doing some exercise (be it fast walking, cycling, whatever) starting within an hour of that candy bar... I prefer to start within 45 minutes of something I think may have too many carbs... Then keep it up for about an hour, and you'll likely burn the glucose right off...

That being said, it's not a good habit to be in... for a while there I started thinking I could cheat regularly by just exercising more... it doesn't really work that way, because even with 4 or 5 hours of intense exercise in a day, my morning fasting reading started creeping back up.

So as others said, just pick yourself up and keep on going!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Red, I've had a terrible day myself. Incredible amount of stress today, major bi-polar meltdown and too much to do and not enough time to get it done, so I barely ate today at all. I skipped lunch and promised myself I'd stop and cook dinner, but I didn't, and instead grabbed handfuls of goldfish crackers - way more than my 20-30 carb a day limit - and that's all I ate today. I've been beating myself up for it all night, but I checked my bg and I was surprised that it's under 110 despite the fall. I thought for sure I'd be over 200 with all the stress and no food. So, I feel a bit better about it and I have the chance to start all over again tomorrow. You do too, so don't be too hard on yourself! :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, at a potluck, I dipped my cauliflower chunk into the custard-y fruit dip. Mistook it for the safer-for-me veggie dip.

Bite One? Excusable. Bites Two and Three? Not so much.

By sheer luck, this was one time I'd bolused correctly, so no ill effects.

Oh, and cauliflower and custard? Not half bad!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Oh, and cauliflower and custard? Not half bad!
Really?

Because . . . that . . . just . . . sounds . . . so . . . W R O N G .... :)

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
51 Posts
Beefy - you are human and if that chocolate bar felt/tasted good, then don't give it another thought or be hard on yourself. If I thought I couldn't eat chocolate ever, I'd do myself in here and now.

Big clap to those who never stray from their diet, but lordy mumma, I ain't one of them.

G

·
Red... one thing I've been taught to do is factor in your food... that means if you have your choc bar, then you just go without something else. It's balancing stuff throughout your day. I'm a slow eater and have smaller serves of food smaller than entre size they serve over here usually. But if I eat something not so great, I don't beat myself up.... I then just get on with eating majority of my food as healthy as I can. You have to be able to enjoy your food and your life.... just find out what works for you. Eg. with me I know I shouldn't eat potatoes, but sometimes I still do and I remember why I shouldn't. I don't mind a small amount of chocolate every now and then. Luckily choc is low GI carb too. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ahh so you are human as well... many of my best friends are human :hippie:

Did you know that chocolate is actually very healthful and BG friendly -- it's the sugar (and caramel) we need to watch for. Have you tried dark chocolate -- 70% cocoa or higher?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts