The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Brandon and I am a 19-year old college student. I have had diabetes for 11 years and have had minimal problems with it.

Recently, I have been feeling incredibly strange lately. My blood sugars have been low and then high. However, whenever I feel high, like within the low 200's range, I would feel as if I have a blood sugar of 60, as if I was hypoglycemic. Whenever I have a normal blood sugar like 134, I would feel as if my blood sugar was 350, which feels really strange to me.:(

I have no idea what's going on, I've just heard that it may be my body still reacting to my up-and-down blood sugars, but this has been happening for the past couple of days and my blood sugars have been okay.

Not sure when I'm scheduled to see my doctor, but my parents are getting me an appointment ASAP.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Uuumm, Brandon? How do you manage your diabetes? MDI? Pump? What other tricks do you use when trying to corral your wild blood sugars? Those are some really wild swings, seems to me.

Welcome aboard . . . hope we can help. There are plenty of type 1 folks here who will surely have a few ideas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am currently on a insulin pump using only Humalog. Right now I am 300 and I feel low and have no idea what to do. Bolus and correct? I have the fear of running low, therefore intensifying the strange feeling that I have now.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I'm on MDI, not a pump -- but yeah, I'd definitely correct. Were you given a scale of correction doses for different levels?

Highs and lows can share some symptoms.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just know that for every 50 units I wanna correct, I give 1 unit. So for my circumstance, I should give 2.0 units because I just checked and it's currently 217. Should I do it now? And I'm gonna go to a doctor tomorrow for sure and tell him what's going on.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The idea is to get to where you can correct the lows as they happen. I would suggest correcting now. I would also test 1/2 - 1 hour later to make sure your glucose is decreasing at a nice steady rate. Checking in with your doc tomorrow is An Excellent Idea.

Please let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There is the issue of hypo-unawareness too. You should have much better control than this using a pump. How was this 1:50 ratio arrived at and who did the calculations? Does it usually work to bring you into a safe range - like under 140 (7.7)? How much instruction have you had from the pump people? We have pumpers here who can guide you toward way better control . . . sometimes doctors know very little about the day-to-day proper management, so keep an open mind, okay?

I just hate to see you running so high & wild when you're so young, and you're courting complications down the road if this isn't reined in. It's possible to spend a lifetime with type 1 and still have minimal complications (i.e. Richard157), but it doesn't happen without attention to detail. If I were you, I'd make a list, and once you get that doc in the room, insist on some answers. Don't leave without them. It isn't just about this unusual new irregularity; it's about tightening up your control all the way around.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Brandon, may I suggest an excellent book for you to read and in your case, probably own as a reference guide. "Think Like A Pancreas", A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes With Insulin. The author is Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE and it is an excellent book in tightening up control with insulin. Gary is a Type 1 diabetic, and the majority of the book is for pump users. Although I am Type 2, it has helped me immensely in understanding the use of insulin with my diabetes and I am less frustrated and more aware of what is happening with my body and the insulin use. The fact that Gary himself is diabetic helps as well since he understands all too well. I also like his style of writing; kind of like he is sitting down with you and having a very open and casual discussion about all of this.

Good Luck. Keep us posted on what the doctor tells you.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Brandon. I do hope you are feeling better! I've been type I for 17 1/2 years and recently lost control over my glucose because I had to go back to injections after wearing a pump for 6 years due to contact dermatitis, which I hope go figure out! But anyway, I do experience a similar feeling when I bounce all over. I was told you feel low even when you're not if you run high a lot and it seems to be true (at least for me). My heart races, I feel weak, and sometimes I"m not sure if I"m raising or dropping or WTF the problem is. But you're not alone. Feel better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.