The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've had this disease going on 9 years and you would think by now I would have learned how to avoid certain situations, but apparently I have not.

Last Friday morning I had my first occlusion with my Revel pump which I've had almost a year. My blood sugar went from a fasting number of 105 to almost 300 in a matter of 3 hours. I was at physical therapy when this occured and did not have any extra infusion sets, nor did I have a syringe or pen to give myself the necessary correction dose.

As soon as I returned home I did change out both the infusion set and the reservoir. Wouldn't you know it.....several hours later when I was shopping in Wal-Mart I noticed my vision was getting dark. Tested my BG and it was 39 (2.1). I had 4 glucose tablets in my purse and ate them straightaway, waited 15 minutes and tested again. Meantime my Dexcom gave me the double arrows going down which meant whatever I had taken was not working. I searched through my purse and found a pkg of M&M candies which I also ate. I continued to feel horrible and was really afraid I was going to faint. I felt so weak that I couldn't even call for help. Since I had purchased some glucose gel and it was in my sack from Wal-Mart I also ended up consuming both of them. Eventually my BG did start to come up to 55 (3.0) and I was able to walk to my car.

I waited another half hour until my BG reached 85 (4.7) at which point I felt safe enough to drive home. If there is anyone who has had a similar experience or who has advice to offer so I can avoid this situation again, I would be very grateful to receive your help.

I was also diagnosed and am receiving physical therapy for primary lymphedema about 6 weeks ago. Walking with compression bandages on both legs may have contributed to draining my energy and lowering my BG, I just don't know. Since last Friday I seem to be bouncing back and forth between very bad low and then highs that are totally out of my usual number range. I need help but I don't know where to get it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shanny. You know the old saying "anything that can go wrong - will go wrong"? That seems to apply to me this whole weekend. It has just been one thing after another for us this Summer.

First we had two or three really bad thunderstorms where we lost 6 of our mature trees. Hubby still hasn't found anyplace to rent a chain saw so he can finish taking down what Mother Nature already did for him.

Then it became apparent we need a new roof on the house - plus the garage door spring broke and now we're getting a new garage door plus opener. My hearing aid broke and I don't even know how much a new one is going to cost. Then I had to lay out over $300 for compression bandages (for the lymphedema treatment) plus the cost of compression stockings next week.

I know tomorrow is another day and I'm hoping I will regain better control. As soon as I can find time I feel like having myself a good cry.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
See? I keep saying we should live closer! Then my old woodchopper husband would be there Johnny-on-the-spot with chain saw & splitting maul & have those trees ready for the woodstove in a flash! (after a year or two of curing, of course :)) Be sure your hubby is super careful taking down those trees - sometimes Mother Nature isn't too fussy where she drops 'em & they can be the devil getting done safely. Here's a shot of the old woodchopper several years ago when a REAL widowmaker (apologies to you & the Claim Jumper, ShottleBop ;)) broke loose & smacked him in the head . . . he was so very lucky it was only a bunch of sutures in his eyelids & a new pair of glasses (never did find the old ones).

I wish I could assure you that this too shall pass, but damn! We've done the new roof thing on our garage/shop building; we've replaced the old steel chimney pipe with a 2-story masonry chimney; had the garage door repaired only a coupla months ago & now we're waiting on the contractor to come install a new septic tank. That's just for starters & I'm not even going into the things that cost less than $1000! :eek:

But here we sit with a roof over our heads & the a/c keeping us cool, when our kids across the state line had their house & all the outbuildings blown to kingdom come. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? :( And a good cry always makes me feel better!

Thanks Shanny. You know the old saying "anything that can go wrong - will go wrong"? That seems to apply to me this whole weekend. It has just been one thing after another for us this Summer.

First we had two or three really bad thunderstorms where we lost 6 of our mature trees. Hubby still hasn't found anyplace to rent a chain saw so he can finish taking down what Mother Nature already did for him.

Then it became apparent we need a new roof on the house - plus the garage door spring broke and now we're getting a new garage door plus opener. My hearing aid broke and I don't even know how much a new one is going to cost. Then I had to lay out over $300 for compression bandages (for the lymphedema treatment) plus the cost of compression stockings next week.

I know tomorrow is another day and I'm hoping I will regain better control. As soon as I can find time I feel like having myself a good cry.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G-day Jason,

Yes, it is hot and sunny where I live in the mid central part of the US. It is about 34 degrees C and the humidity is around 60%, although today there is a very slight south wind. What is it like in London? Cool and rainy maybe?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See? I keep saying we should live closer! Then my old woodchopper husband would be there Johnny-on-the-spot with chain saw & splitting maul & have those trees ready for the woodstove in a flash! (after a year or two of curing, of course :)) Be sure your hubby is super careful taking down those trees - sometimes Mother Nature isn't too fussy where she drops 'em & they can be the devil getting done safely. Here's a shot of the old woodchopper several years ago when a REAL widowmaker (apologies to you & the Claim Jumper, ShottleBop ;)) broke loose & smacked him in the head . . . he was so very lucky it was only a bunch of sutures in his eyelids & a new pair of glasses (never did find the old ones).

I wish I could assure you that this too shall pass, but damn! We've done the new roof thing on our garage/shop building; we've replaced the old steel chimney pipe with a 2-story masonry chimney; had the garage door repaired only a coupla months ago & now we're waiting on the contractor to come install a new septic tank. That's just for starters & I'm not even going into the things that cost less than $1000! :eek:

But here we sit with a roof over our heads & the a/c keeping us cool, when our kids across the state line had their house & all the outbuildings blown to kingdom come. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? :( And a good cry always makes me feel better!
OMG.....your poor 'ole woodchopper'. He looks like he had a fight with someone and the other guy won! I worry about my hubby taking down these trees alone as he is a Bohak and much too proud to ask for help. However it would cost well over $1,000 to have a tree service come and do it. Maybe I will have to threaten him with something like "I bake no cookies for you if you don't get help".

I know tomorrow is a new day and we are greatful that our house was spared with this latest storm. A town not far from here had 10 inches of rain in less than 1 hour and several homes were destroyed - a tornado was reported on the "ground" but it didn't stay long.

We're just holding our breath that a new roof is all we need right now. The contractors have to take two layers of roofing off and hopefully what is underneath is still good.

Must get going to help OH mow the lawn this afternoon.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Oh Strawberry - I'm sorry about your frustrating swings. I know nothing about Type 1 issues, and can't contribute anything at all except hopes that your body normalizes like NOW!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Strawberry, I am sorry that you are having so many troubles. I hope things get better for you quickly!

here are a couple ideas for the tree issue.
-Call your homeowner's insurance. Maybe they will pay for the tree removal.

-email or call everyone you know locally. Tell them you have downed trees and if they know anyone that uses wood to heat, that person can come and get the trees if they do the cutting themselves. (if we lived in your area, my brother would run right over. Whenever he can get free wood, it saves him hundreds of dollars each winter for his heating.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sunny and lovely temp here in London UK. Birds singing sun shining crystal clear blue at the moment anyway :) The reason I asked regarding how hot and sunny is that our bodies absorb insulin at a much faster rate during hot periods. Yesterday I had roughly six hypos. Eat Mars bars drank sugar water and a few other bits and bobs. My sugars went down to 1.9 (34.19) So yesterday I have reduced my 24 hour acting insulin. Today should be a smooth flight...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Isn't a bit fun with the hypos is it J.P.Saggs? I hope you're feeling better today too. I seem to be having a challenge getting my body to right itself once again. Of course our weather does not help as today we are forecast for temperatures to be 95 F (35 C) and our humidity is like a sauna outdoors. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts