The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been battling highs for a couple of weeks. I have tried splitting it 7 at night, 3 in the morning. My problem remains the same: highs up to the 160's, after dinner. My morning numbers, after these nighttime highs, are no prize, either.

Increase my novo with dinner: still high. Minimize carbs to next to nothing: still high.

It is frustrating and makes me crabby over everything else. The smallest things make me furious. I am tired of dealing with this!!!! I am usually an easygoing person.

I think I am calling Tuesday to ask to try Lantus instead.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Lantus surely worth a try . . . wish I knew more about using insulin, but I'm sure I'll prob'ly find out soon enough, eh? :hug:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep, that was my experience with Levemir, way high BG.
Recently started Lantus and it works very well for me. Of course there are some that are 180 degrees YMMV :confused:

The 'mechanism' that Levemir/Lantus uses is different so... I know in my case the Lantus works much better and looks like I need to decrease a couple of units. FBS is OK but the long term average is dropping. In July the average was 111 with A1C=5.3 but lately average has dropped to 96. Hate getting to close to those hypos!!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't know about Lantus or Levemir, but at one point I found myself gradually losing foods I could eat without spiking.

When it got down to spiking on pure cheese, I asked my CDE about increasing my basal dose. One silly little unit made all the difference.

I've had a couple of adventures with outdated basal insulin, too.

Don't know if you're battling either of these, but I hope you find answers ASAP!

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been trying Levemir for the night time. Unfortunately it is not as flat as Lantus. It has a peak about 5 or 6 hours in, and I wind up low at that time. Maybe it is just that your insulin resistance has climbed a bit? That did happen to me when I was drinking a lot of coffee. Maybe there is something you can adjust to bring it back down. I don't go near coffee now.

Increase my novo with dinner: still high. Minimize carbs to next to nothing: still high.
Of course that part has nothing to do with the Levemir. I find that sometimes I do go through changes for my insulin requirements. So much about us is changing every day. Good control is is moving target, not a sitting duck. (Did I see too many WW 2 movies when I was a kid?)

I'm fairly skinny, but I lost about 5 pounds lately, and a unit of insulin now covers 5 more grams of carbs than it used to. Nice :) I do want to keep at least a few little pads of fatty tissue to inject into, so I might not try losing much more.

But if you sit around and think about it a bit, you might be able to sort out what the problem is.

best wishes with that

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, that was my experience with Levemir, way high BG.
Recently started Lantus and it works very well for me. Of course there are some that are 180 degrees YMMV :confused:

The 'mechanism' that Levemir/Lantus uses is different so... I know in my case the Lantus works much better and looks like I need to decrease a couple of units. FBS is OK but the long term average is dropping. In July the average was 111 with A1C=5.3 but lately average has dropped to 96. Hate getting to close to those hypos!!!

Good Luck
I initially was utilizing the lev peak to help control DP, and it worked.

Then a couple weks ago, I had this weird blip -- I ran in the normal range using only 7U Lev at night, and barely using novolog during the day. Since then my needs are steadily increasing -- Yesterday I used 7 night/ 3 day, PLUS a total of 11 U novo.

Lia, I do not know if this is IR or beta cell failure. It is just -- weird!

I was also taking GABA, 3 g per day, This morning I skipped it to see if THAT helps ... last night I had a false hypo at 3 am, at 110 -- so I of course ate -- about 8 carb grams' worth. Woke at 147 at 6:35. On we go ...

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I resumed my earlier dosing -- 10U Lev at once, at night -- so far, MUCH better numbers ... I also quit taking GABA to see if it is causing resistance. I will resume the GABA in a few days and see where that goes.

I used 11 units of Novo yesterday -- and I had never really used more than 4 - 5 in a day, before!

I think either the Lev or the GABA was causing insulin resistance .... :mad:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so now ... I get the robo call -- I have an ENDO appt tomorrow! My A1c will look like wayyyyyy %^#!. URGH.

Well I will take all my papers and have a chat -- not sure if trying Lantus is what I want, but I have a feeling it's on the horizon.

I went back to 10U Lev at night and it is an improvement, but I have not resolved my afternoon, dinner-and-after numbers, yet.

·
Registered
916 Posts
so now ... I get the robo call -- I have an ENDO appt tomorrow! My A1c will look like wayyyyyy %^#!. URGH.

Well I will take all my papers and have a chat -- not sure if trying Lantus is what I want, but I have a feeling it's on the horizon.

I went back to 10U Lev at night and it is an improvement, but I have not resolved my afternoon, dinner-and-after numbers, yet.
well I was put on Lantus last year. Not only did I gain weight :mad: it seems to make it very hard to lose any weight. My dose is now 20 at bed time. My morning # are still high. Taper off during the day.
I am afraid to put anything in my mouth, ghezz. No bread products what so ever for me.
My ## are all over the place ,up down & up & down.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Last night I resumed my earlier dosing -- 10U Lev at once, at night -- so far, MUCH better numbers ... I also quit taking GABA to see if it is causing resistance. I will resume the GABA in a few days and see where that goes.

I used 11 units of Novo yesterday -- and I had never really used more than 4 - 5 in a day, before!

I think either the Lev or the GABA was causing insulin resistance .... :mad:
foxl,

Believe me I do understand your frustration. When a person tries soooooo.... hard and then the bg goes goofy - it does tend to really annoy us.

For whatever my opinion is worth, here is what happens to me at this time of year. When I was on MDI I started to notice that in the Spring and in the Fall, my bg numbers were just plain strange. They aren't all that 'stable' anyway, but at those times of the year - it would get so out of control.

Now that I have an insulin pump, I can track things a little closer. This is what I've found ...... I have a whole different set of basal rates from about September through March/April and then my body changes back to the April through late August/September rates again.

I don't know if this might be what your body is doing as this situation does not happen to everyone who uses insulin. But I do know of other people who also experience this. You live in a part of the country that definitely has changes of seasons. Could this be part of your problem? I also know from listening to online discussions of people from the UK, that Levemir users seem to require a tad bit more insulin than when they used Lantus.

While I used Lantus I had to split doses although it is marketed as a 24 hour insulin. Again, not everyone splits doses, but lucky me - I did. Good luck at your appointment.

Reactions: d33na and foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
134 before afternoon snack at 4:10 pm, last ate at 10 am and checked one hr later -- 120. :drama:

Yeah yeah less than 20% difference. I KNOW.

Oh, and by the way? These are my "good" numbers!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I switched from Lantus to Levemir about 5 weeks ago...with Lantus I stacked on weight...and yeah made me depressed...Levemir is much harder to get good numbers...

I hope you sort this out soon..its so frustrating....then you can tell me what you did! :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I am afraid of that with Lantus, too. But I have picked up 3 -4 lbs from these crappy numbers lately too! UGH. Not from eating more carbs, by the way ...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah, I am afraid of that with Lantus, too. But I have picked up 3 -4 lbs from these crappy numbers lately too! UGH. Not from eating more carbs, by the way ...
I am wondering IF all insulin packs on the weight. I am on glipizide too. Doc said that will do it too.
she put me on Victoza a while back. :eek: not only did it make me sick as a dog my insurance would only pay for it one time. that was ok by me. I wouldn't use it anymore.
Lantus may work to lower my # but I will be fat. :drama::drama:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Supposedly overuse of insulin (specifically basal) causes weight gain. There was a study indicating Lantus does more than Levemir, too.

But, sigh, who knows? We are all different!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Foxl, when I took Lantus back when I ended up having to continually up the dosage every 4-5 days and was using quite a bit (of course the endo did not have me on a bolus like Humalog or Novolog at the time either) and I gained over 50 lbs on the Lantus and I was barely eating enough to do that! When I quit the Lantus I dropped 35 lbs right away, and eventually got the other 15 lbs off as well. I just started back on insulin (Levemir and Humalog) and will continue with the low carbing and exercise, but I was not able to lose a substantial amount of weight on Metformin and Amaryl anyway. I do know that insulin will cause some weight gain, but it can be controlled too. You just have to double your efforts for the timeframe that your numbers are going nuts. My endo told me I would gain some weight during the period of lowering my BG's with insulin, but she said it was more important right now to get the high numbers down. Once that is accomplished and I maintain, then she will give Victoza to aid in losing weight. It can be very frustrating trying to keep numbers in good range. I was doing really good last year this time with getting the numbers to come down with just oral meds and diet and excercise, and then boom! A few months ago my numbers start rising and no matter what I did would not come down. Hence the need for the insulin now. I was not doing anything different than before...my body just seems to have decided the oral meds weren't enough. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw my endo yest. and told him well I was not quite ready for Lantus, not entirely happy with Levemir, but happier with it NOT split.

So I am doing 10U at night and upping my suppertime Novolog (from 3U to 4 - 6 at a time). He suggested pumping might be on the horizon, in which case NO basal-formulated insulin is involved. Funny, I had not thought of it that way ... And of course, precision profile of the basal rate! I am not ready to spend the money and effort on that, yet, but it sounds like it would be a big improvement!

50 lbs, though ... I would be raising the roof over that! It's too hard to lose!!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Well, like I said, once I quit the Lantus I ended up losing 35 lbs pretty quickly (Thank The Lord Above). The remaining 15 lbs. actually ended up coming off because I somehow got a parasite and everything I ate pretty much ran through me (won't go into the specifics on that one) and it lasted over 2 months! But, I managed to keep all of the 50 lbs off to date, and still struggle to get more off. Like I said in last post, not really any easier to take weight off with oral meds either. I do work out quite strenuously and watch the diet, but still have not been able to take off more weight. It's always a struggle!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
741 Posts
naynay I totally understand...I was doing fine until early this year I got a persistent infection and my numbers sky-rocketed...I had to go back onto lantus and Ive put on about 20kilos...Ive just changed to levemir hoping I can now lose that weight...I feel disgusting...

I didnt realise how much weight it was until I was holding a friends grandchild yesterday and she weights 10 kilos....it hit me...time for me to stop sulking and drop those kilos...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Linda - You take a very small dose of Levemir, right? I've found that the duration of action can be very short and there's a way to take advantage of that. You can target it to the time you need it the most. I split mine into 4 doses at 6 hour intervals: 4.5u at 6:30 a.m., 4.0u at noon, 3.5u at 6:30 p.m. and 7u at between 11 and midnight.

I tried this split after months of escalating basal use (I was up to a total of 26 units of Levemir) that was doing nothing, and a corresponding increase in bolus use. The quad-split resulted in a Levemir reduction to 22 units. I then added Met to the mix and am down to 19 units - Yay!!! My Novolog use dropped even more because I am not fighting highs.

Basal dosing is so much more tricky than short-acting as far as I'm concerned!

Jen

1 - 20 of 25 Posts