The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you take the first number you get on your meter? Or do you do it twice?

·
Registered
916 Posts
for me I do it once. 3 times a day.

I am on medicare & medicade & they only allow 3times a day . They only give me 100 strips at a time & I have to give them written monthly sheets. So I don't use them up. I take the number given lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I just got a 20 point difference in this reading that is why I am asking.....

·
Registered
633 Posts
You will never get the same reading twice so just go with the first one.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My insurance doesn't cover my strips until we meet our enormous deductible , which we never have done. So I value every strip. I only test once unless I get an off number ( very low or very high). You will never get the same number twice, it will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your reply........Since I was diagnosed 2 days ago I am very obsessive and checking way too much......I wish I was obsessive over what I was putting in my mouth all these years.....:(

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My son was diagnosed about 6 months before I was, he was complaining to me that he got different readings depending on which finger he tested and got different readings if he tested different places on the same finger. So I did a lot of reading on the web about it and learned... wash with soap and water, don't use alcohol to steralize the area or it can toughen the skin. Test in the side of the finger, below and fairly near the nail pad. Never test in the tips of the fingers or you can end up with permanent nerve damage.

It would be quite helpful if our doctors would give us this info. The only instructions I got were, "Your A1c was 6.0. Cut down on carbs."

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not only does multi testing cost more but I really think it becomes too confusing...my heads pace is much better when I accept the first result (with the exception of a reading that's unexpected)and you're right it can become obsessive if you keep double/triple testing

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a month or so into testing and I have found that I have to teach myself. I am very grateful for this forum and hope that patience with new diabetics is here.

I, also, have three tests a day available. I do a morning fasting test that is pretty controlled. I wash and test on the same spot, but rotate fingers. Through the day I just watch what I eat. Reading here has really helped since there seems to be so many variables and inconsistencies. I'm more inclined to eat freely for breakfast because I will be burning off the calories. At dinner time I am much more just a small bit of meat and heavy on the veggies though.

My morning fasting test has slowly dropped into the 110-130 area. I'm not sure if the Metformin it is just taking its good ol'time or if I am not pushing hard enough.

Breads, pastries and sugars have definitely become scarce. The Splenda-made ice cream is something that I found as a reward, but it is a taste and not a meal.

I like reading here about other foods and learning. Especially since I am not a cook.

Thanks all,
Jere

1 - 12 of 12 Posts