The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was diagnosed with early onset stage of Alzheimer's. I was diagnosed by my neurologist. I have short term memory loss. One minute I will say something and the next minute I will forget. So, if I repeat myself please overlook it.

My neurologist is doing 3 tests. The first one was a memory test. That is when he diagnosed me. The second test is Chem 2 fasting blood test. I did that this morning. The third test is a MRI. Then I will see my doctor and he will know what medicine and how much dosage I need.

Most people consider this an "in the closet" illness. I do not believe that any disease or illness should be hidden "in the closet." It is a part of me and who I am.

I thought I would tell my friends. I know that you understand.

Ruth

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Exactly. If you tried to hide it, you would not be getting support and care for it. I hope you see very little progress -- I know my Mom went many years in the early stages.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This post shook me to the core this morning. We don't know each other but... I give you a great big hug. Take good care xx

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Sorry you have to deal with this but addressing it head on is the best thing. They have come a long way in the management of memory loss. We are going through similar issues with my mom. You have all our support.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, I did not know how it would be received. I am glad that you are giving me support. There are 5 medications for it. Once, I am done with the tests, then my neurologist will know what medicine and what dosage to put me on. With meds now, I can stay in the early onset stage for quite a while.

Scarlet, why did it upset you?

Ruth

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fiesta,
I am sorry to hear this. We are dealing with this with my father-in-law (diagnosed at age 59.) He also did drugs and alcohol for a long time many years ago, which cause a bit of damage to the brain, so that aggravated it more for him. He is still able to live by himself right now, with our help.

Take the meds, they do seem to help a lot. We weren't sure they were but a few months ago, my father-in-law didn't take his meds for two weeks. We did notice a decline, then when we got him back on, he improved dramatically overnight. That was very surprising to us. (he takes Aricept.)

Here are some things you can do to help yourself with the frustration.
-get an iPod touch or Blackberry type device. Learn it now and use it daily. Ultilize the calendar and note features. You can set up alarms to remind you of different things. Take it with you everywhere. You can write notes to yourself. There are also apps for shopping lists and stuff like that. If you wait until you need it more later, it will be more difficult to remember how to use it. It seems that things a person does daily, are easier to maintain doing longer term. I would say to get an iPod over another because most likely the operating system will stay the same longer.

Get an automatic pill dispenser. We got this for father-in-law and it is awesome. He has not forgotten to take his meds at all. There is a great one on Amazon, I'll see if I can find the link for it. I'm going to get one for myself, too!

Do things that will challenge you mentally, like crossword puzzles. Things that make you think. There is some research that 'exercising' your brain can help to slow the progression. There are also some computer programs and apps for the iPod that will challenge the brain.

Keep yourself busy. Don't let this depress you. Keep positive and you will have a better quality of your life and be happy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Secret Agent, thank you for the advice. I will do the exercising and exercise my brain. I will try to find an automatic pill dispenser.

I am a positive thinker. I have had many challenges in my life and I do not let them get to me. I take them head on. That is the only way.

I cannot buy anything from Amazon. I live in CA. CA insists on Amazon paying taxes to CA for the products bought here. Amazon is refusing to sell anything to us. I am sure I can find a place that sells them. Maybe WalMart does. I will have to check it out.

Thank you for the tips. I can use any that are given to me.

Ruth

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the link. I really appreciate it. It is 70 dollars. It is worth the price. However, our family depends on Medicare and Social Security. We get very little from my husband's retirement.

We cannot spend the money right now until we find out what the Federal government and our State is going to cut out. They are talking about making deep cuts in both. We will have to wait and see what the government is going to do, if anything.

Ruth

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
One recent theory is that Alzheimer's is none other than impaired glucose metabolism in the brain. For this reason, some have nicknamed it "Type 3 Diabetes". Under the proper conditions, your brain can "switch" to using ketones instead of glucose, circumventing the problem and preventing further damage.

Consume lots of coconut oil for the MCTs (medium chain triglycerices). It will certainly not hurt your health, will help immensely with diabetes and may also help with Alzheimer's. Too new, your doctor probably won't tell you this, but researchers at the NIH are actively looking into it. Of course, they will try to come up with a patent-able PILL to boost ketones from which profit can be made. You can boost them yourself via a ketogenic diet and supplementing with coconut oil.

There are encouraging signs that this can not only halt the degradation of brain function but even reverse it to some extent.

I suggest you Google [Alzheimer's coconut oil ketones Dr. Veech NIH] etc. and read some more. Here's a link to get you started (be sure to follow some of the contained links):

Brain Failure

Both my mother and her father died of Alzhemer's. I will do my best to maintain ketosis and consume coconut oil for the rest of my life. I have high hopes of dying eventually of something else entirely.

Reactions: ColaJim and foxl

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This is indeed disturbing news, Fiesta and I my thoughts are with you as you continue your testing and start your meds. You are a great fighter for wanting to face this head on and I agree that this is not something to be kept in the closet (nor is any illness in my opinion). Take care and keep us updated in regard to the upcoming tests.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You are in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck and I know you'll tackle this head on. I will be thinking about you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SMorgan, I will look up your link and check into a ketosis diet. I tried coconut oil when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. It shot my triglycerides through the roof.

I appreciate all of the support and the tips that I am getting from everyone.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Amazon

Hi Secret Agent, thank you for the advice. I will do the exercising and exercise my brain. I will try to find an automatic pill dispenser.

I am a positive thinker. I have had many challenges in my life and I do not let them get to me. I take them head on. That is the only way.

I cannot buy anything from Amazon. I live in CA. CA insists on Amazon paying taxes to CA for the products bought here. Amazon is refusing to sell anything to us. I am sure I can find a place that sells them. Maybe WalMart does. I will have to check it out.

Thank you for the tips. I can use any that are given to me.

Ruth
Hi,

Just a quick idea here--If Amazon will not get it to you in California, if you have friends or family out of state have it sent there. Then friends or family can send it to to you US mail or UPS:D.

Gene

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It is highly doubtful that coconut oil was the cause of high triglycerides. I have never heard anyone report that and many dozens reporting the opposite.

Unfortunately, we rarely change just one variable at a time, so it is difficult to establish causality. In any case, I started LC/HF, including 2 tbsp or so of coconut oils every day and within a few months, my triglycerides dropped from 158 to 51. That is pretty typical from everything I've read.

SMorgan, I will look up your link and check into a ketosis diet. I tried coconut oil when I was first diagnosed with diabetes. It shot my triglycerides through the roof.

I appreciate all of the support and the tips that I am getting from everyone.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Fiesta - I'm sad about your news and sending hugs across the ... state! I'm in CA also, order from Amazon all the time, and don't understand why you've had a problem. Maybe I need to go back and read again - methinks I'm missing something.

I know a number of people who got early onset, and moderated a list comprised only of people with dementia, begun by a very courageous woman who got it in her 30's, wrote a book, and started the forum.

I've heard so many inspiring stories the last years as I've researched and joined communities, re dementia. It was reassuring to have the boogie-man taken out of the word, to understand it better, to listen to the voices of those with dementia who are facing it head-on as you are.

One very inspiring voice is Richard Taylor - Alzheimer’s Disease Articles and Book | Richard Taylor Ph.D. - I've learned so much from him.

It's take a lot of courage to stare down Alzheimer's, but I think you've got it in your bones :)

Reactions: fiesta

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Gene,

That is a great idea!!. I have a daughter who lives in Philadelphia. I know she will do it for me.

Ruth

1 - 20 of 36 Posts