The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So up to this point in my life, I have pretty much not made desserts or sugary treats if I could at all help it. It just seemed safer to stay out of that temtation zone. And it has carried into my marriage and family life too. I don't make desserts unless my husband requests them.

Well, the other day, I learned I can make banana bread. :target: TEMPTATION ZONE :target: We participate in a food co-op where we get TONS of fresh fruits and veggies for exceptionally cheap prices and we had maybe 50 bananas. I had to use them somehow!! My husband was in bliss :) lol

So, I would like to find a way to make "safe" baked goods. I need a diabetic friendly banana bread recipe, cookie (of any kind) recipe, and also a cake recipe. Can anybody hook me up? Also any other "diabetic friendly" nutritional tips or recipes would be appreciated! Thanks Everyone :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I think the only 'safe' banana bread would have no flour and no bananas in it FWIW! :)

Go our recipes section and find a lot of good, safe recipes there. Also, the Atkins site and many other low carb/high fat sites can be Googled.

Have fun and good luck,

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Marty (MCS) has had luck with green bananas and resistant starch. I have not.

A lot of low-carbers use extracts and flavorings, including banana. There is even a banana-flavored splenda syrup. I am not too thrilled with taste of bananas to begin with, but you might like those.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Banana Bread is a tricky one. Many of us spike with bananas. Have you tested after you eat one to see what it does to your bg? Since we are all different you may be able to handle small amounts. The best bread would be made out of almond meal, flaxseed, eggs, Baking Powder /Baking Soda, vanilla, some fat like Coconut Oil and the least amount of Banana you need for flavoring. Most of the low carb recipes I have seen use Banana flavoring instead of Bananas. If you are making it for other non diabetics in your family , I would just make the regular kind and you don't need to eat it. You can also peel the bananas and freeze them in a baggie to use for later baking products if you don't want to use them right away.

·
Registered
718 Posts
There are lots of bread recipes out there that use alternative flours...

Bananas may spike you - depends on how many you use and how much you eat! You might be better off using a banana extract just to get the flavor.

Recipe: Paleo Banana Bread

You can sub splenda for honey, or use some other liquid artificial sweetener, or even some of the comments say to leave it out completely.

Reactions: Strawberry

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There are lots of bread recipes out there that use alternative flours...

Bananas may spike you - depends on how many you use and how much you eat! You might be better off using a banana extract just to get the flavor.

Recipe: Paleo Banana Bread

You can sub splenda for honey, or use some other liquid artificial sweetener, or even some of the comments say to leave it out completely.
I made this Paleo Banana Bread this afternoon and it looks and smells just like regular banana bread made with whole wheat flour. I don't know what it will do to my BG, but hoping the increase in my BG isn't going to be too bad. At any rate I think my husband will be happy as we haven't had any home baked stuff around here in a long time.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Has anyone else tried the Paleo Banana Bread recipe? It has a fairly good taste, doesn't seem to spike my BG, but the texture is super moist. I mean it is so moist that you don't want to leave it in a plastic ziploc bag on your kitchen counter, because I think it would spoil super fast. Normally moist is a good thing and not sure why the loaf I made is so moist unless the bananas I used were larger than usual. The loaf also has only 2 tablespoons honey which doesn't make it taste very sweet. My OH put cream cheese and honey on his slice :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not yet - I just don't keep the ingredients for baking stuff on hand.

I'd either see about cooking it longer or maybe one less egg?

I don't know for sure though - would have to experiment :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts