The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this morning i was driving into work listening to talk raido. a guy called in who claimed to be a physician saying that if people would lose 50 pounds they would no longer be diabetic, and that he could cure adult onset diabetes in 2 weeks, but if he said so the established medical community would frown on him.

so i am not a person to call a radio station, but i could not hold back. I called in and told them how this guy was full of it. there is not cure to diabetes, and about 30% of the people diagnosed today are not over weight. I told the raido host that with diet and exercise along with medication a person can manage thier blood sugar levels, but this wasnt a cure, only proper managment of our condition.

i hate it when people pose as an expert and spread disinformation that can harm people.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Thank you for calling in! I am sure there will always be "believers," but ... yeeesh! I am also sure there will always be some surprised and disappointed people.

My FIL always said, There are going to be some very surprised people in heaven ... I liked that.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Good for you calling in to give them a better perspective on the matter! I am tired of the blame the victim mentality with diabetes (and CVD and obesity). Saying that weight loss will cure diabetes is the same as saying that you got diabetes because of being overweight and that it's all your fault. Well at least that's how it sounds to me.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am underweight, I am only 47 kg, and that is about 7 kg less from my idealweight.
I f I were to lose 50 pound (that is about 25 kg, isnt it?) I wouldn`t feel healthy at all, and I am really sure my diabetes wouldn`t disappear with the lost weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts