The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bread.

I happen to have a $250. bread machine. I used it almost everyday for some sort of bread,dough.
I took it out of the kitchen so as to not see it :pout: I have not had bread or buns or pizza crust in like it seems forever.

I have 6bags of differant flours in my freezer. none of which I doubt I can use. so sad. Or can I??
I see low carb bread recipes but I don't have that soy or flax or almond flour etc etc.

Is NOT making bread it for me :Cry:

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I may use some of mine to make some gift loaves, but I'm not strong enough to stand the smell of it baking, so may just give supplies away. I can live without bread and be the better for it!

I'm sad about it, but that's the way of life now, it seems.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I also have a bread machine - made bread with and without it. New Kitchenaid mixer for when I made without. 5 excellent bread cookbooks. Regular customer of King Arthur Flour. Bins of various flours and grains.

Now? End of an era.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Over here it's OLD Kitchenaid mixer (old woodchopper gave it to me before we were married) & I've never had a bread machine. But that old mixer kneaded so much bread over the years that I had it rebuilt back in the 90s some time . . . and it's still going strong. It just doesn't have to knead bread anymore. :(

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Bread is probably the straw that broke the camel's back for me. 4 months before being diagnosed I learned to bake and started making artisan sourdoughs, french loaves, croissants, etc every day. I really invested in it too, I have a bread machine (which I didn't use once I learned how to do it myself), peals, baking stones, 6 different flours, tons of yeast, etc.

I still haven't gotten rid of all that yet. Not because I think I may still use it but I don't want to advocate to anyone I know that they should be eating more bread! :D Maybe it's time to just pack it up and donate it to good will (the equipment not the open flour!).

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My bread machine is in the back of my closet. I almost gave it away the other day. But then I thought I might experiment with some LC flours and yeast in it. Someone said that erythitol will work with the yeast so I may try it. As far as using wheat flour again, I doubt I will. The recipes with the almond meal and flaxseed work so well and keep bgs so low, I don't think I would risk it. I just got back from Costco for my weekly shopping trip. I was surprised to see they now carry golden milled Flaxseed in a 4 pound bag for $6.99. Anyone who has bought flaxseed in the normal grocery store knows how expensive it can be. They also have Chia Seed at a good price.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bread machine is in the back of my closet. I almost gave it away the other day. But then I thought I might experiment with some LC flours and yeast in it. Someone said that erythitol will work with the yeast so I may try it. As far as using wheat flour again, I doubt I will. The recipes with the almond meal and flaxseed work so well and keep bgs so low, I don't think I would risk it. I just got back from Costco for my weekly shopping trip. I was surprised to see they now carry golden milled Flaxseed in a 4 pound bag for $6.99. Anyone who has bought flaxseed in the normal grocery store knows how expensive it can be. They also have Chia Seed at a good price.
let us /me know it turns out..:thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I also crave bread... It is the one thing that I miss the most. I'm going to try and mix gluten flour (wheat flour with the starch removed) with hi-maize and a little bit full grain, nothing removed, stone milled wheat flour to see if I can perhaps get a low gi sourdough bread. Waiting for the gluten flour and hi maize to arrive and then I'll start with my experiments.....

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I sometimes eat thin slizes of bread made of barley or rye flour.
Of course there is to much carbohydrates for me to eat much, but sometimes I preciate a relly thin slize of bread with a low glycemic load which wont make my BG rise to much.
Usually I eat crackers or proteinbread (egg, quark, oliveoil, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, sesame and bran)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I also crave bread... It is the one thing that I miss the most. I'm going to try and mix gluten flour (wheat flour with the starch removed) with hi-maize and a little bit full grain, nothing removed, stone milled wheat flour to see if I can perhaps get a low gi sourdough bread. Waiting for the gluten flour and hi maize to arrive and then I'll start with my experiments.....

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes
Gluten flour often has really much carbohydrates!

·
Registered
61 Posts
There are many low carb bread machine recipes out there, several at LowCarbFriends

Most LC yeast bread recipes call for 1/2 or 1 tsp. sugar to make the yeast work. If I remember correctly, a teaspoon only has like 5 carbs. Or you could try jwags suggestion and try erythitol.

I don't want to give up my bread machine either so I found a recipe online and will give it a try before chucking the machine out the window.

Froggie

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I often go to gluten free websites to get ideas for bread. I just sub out the sugar or honey. Here is one of my favorite sites.

Gluten Free Bread Recipes

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
But if you DO incorporate gluten in your baking, the carb content for 1 oz. of gluten is only 4g, vs. 20g for regular flour. I still use gluten in the low-carb breading mix & so far haven't had BG problems with it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
But if you DO incorporate gluten in your baking, the carb content for 1 oz. of gluten is only 4g, vs. 20g for regular flour. I still use gluten in the low-carb breading mix & so far haven't had BG problems with it.
Shanny are you using a packaged LC mix or do you put your own together. I only have almond meal but I think I need to buy some blanched almond flour to get better results.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanny are you using a packaged LC mix or do you put your own together. I only have almond meal but I think I need to buy some blanched almond flour to get better results.
For the low-carb breading mix? I make my own using equal parts of almond meal, gluten and grated parmesan cheese. Then I give it a ride in my mini food processor until it's uniform & finely ground. I just tweaked that Brandi's Breading recipe we found last year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.