The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did the sales lady have to laugh so loud when I walked into the health food shop and asked if they had any carb free bread?

How was I to know there's no such thing. I've only had diabetes for like 2 seconds..lol.

This diabetes thing isn't funny anymore...omg. No BREAD.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
LOL! What an adventure is the learning curve :)

I had a similar freakout about fruit. NO FRUIT? WHA... ? Couldn't accept it. I'd have an orange or grapefruit - an apple - then 1/2 a day, now I have only some berries. If someone had told me I'd remove fruit from my consciousness I'd've ... well, laughed.

It's amazing what we humans can get used to.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Even there is no, 0 carb bread, there is bread with so much fiber that it negates most of the carbs. I think it is only available online, though. Many of us make our own bread substitutes. Not exactly the same but it does give you something to spread butter on. One of my favorite sites is Laura Dolson

Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Almond flour - cream cheese bread comes close -- and it is delicious! But obviously, rich ... you can OD on it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sales lady should not have laughed. Sales lady should have shown you the low-carb breads she had on the shelves, or told you that her store had none in stock. Bad sales lady!

I finally got myself stocked with almond flour, flaxseed meal, whey protein and vital wheat gluten. And, oh yes ... a toaster/convection oven to supplement my ailing "real" oven.

Eeeeevillle Experiment time!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Tryin' to make me WORK eh, Shanny? I CANNOT for the life of me find it! Seriously ... weird. It had eggs, cream cheese, almond flour ...

This ne comes close though:
1 pack farmer's cheese --
near butter in supermarket
1/2 stick butter -- room temp
4 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cups atkins bake mix

How To Prepare: Put farmers cheese, butter,
eggs and baking soda in
the food processor until
creamy.

Add: almond flour and bake
mix.

Mix up a few seconds, until
everything is combined. The
dough is very sticky.

Grease a bread pan well.
Oven 350 degrees. Plop the
dough
into the pan, you might have
to use your hands. Bake
about
50 minutes, until brown on
top.

When it's cool, cut the loaf
in half, then make slices off
of each half - they're the size
of regular bread slices. So,
for about 60 carbs a loaf,
you get at least 12 big
slices of
bread at 5 carbs each (less,
if you're a fiber subtractor).
Plus, it doesn't taste like
SOY!!!! It tastes like whole
wheat. You'll want to eat the
whole thing - it toasts well,
lots of butter - YUMM! I
made french toast with it,
and once
in a while I have a
sandwich.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree that the salesperson should have been more helpful... good for business part from anything else!

You might also experiment with the Ezekiel sprouted grain breads... I can tolerate one or two slices toasted on occasion -- slathered with butter AND peanut butter.

I am increasingly convinced that eating wheat (especially the modern hybrids when refined for consumption) is a bad idea for many of us.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When you think about the cereal grains in general, they are all grasses. Better to feed the grass to our cattle having THEM make it fit for human consumption!

I agree that the salesperson should have been more helpful... good for business part from anything else!

You might also experiment with the Ezekiel sprouted grain breads... I can tolerate one or two slices toasted on occasion -- slathered with butter AND peanut butter.

I am increasingly convinced that eating wheat (especially the modern hybrids when refined for consumption) is a bad idea for many of us.
Nice to know I'm not the only one who mixes her butter & peanut butter . . . ;)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think this is the recipe Foxi was referring to.

Almond Bread

1/4 cup melted Coconut Oil
8 ounces of softented full fat cream cheese
3 eggs
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 1/2 cups of almond flour or almond meal

Place the first 5 ingredients in bowl and mix until creamy. Add almond meal and mix together. I sometimes add caraway seeds and it tastes kind of like rye bread. Pour dough in a greased bread pan

Bake 350 for 75 minutes

My bread doesn't rise as high as normal bread since I use almold meal. The almond flour is lighter and gives you a higher product. Sometimes I double the recipe. I also bought some muffin top pans that I am going to try to make my own rolls with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts