The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am 66 years old. I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2, 14 years ago. I also have epilepsy. The two do not get along in the brain. I have found out that I have to keep my diabetes under control to keep my epilepsy under control.

I was immediately put on medications when I was diagnosed. It has turned out that medications do not work for me. I am now on diet and exercis:wave:e to control my diabetes. When I go off of my diet, everything goes haywire. My blood glucose levels, my triglycerides and my cholesterol go way to high.

Ruth

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Ruth . . . welcome to DF. We like having friends too, and it really helps sometimes having friends who really understand what we're going through with our diabetes. You have a lot on your plate having to juggle both of yours, but it's good that what works for diabetes also helps the epilepsy.

Tell us more about yourself & how you manage your diet, etc. Do you think your doctor will want to put you on insulin some time in the future? It gives such good control.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shanney,

My doctor has given me a shot of insulin once in a while when my blood glucose, trigclerides and cholesterol show up to high.

Thank you for welcoming me. I like it here. I feel comfortable all ready.

Ruth

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
It is nice to meet you Ruth. that is good that you are having good control with diet and exercise alone. How many different kinds of medication did you try? It can take several weeks for your body to adjust to Metformin. Maybe you did not give it enough time. I hope you can stay healthy with what you are doing now. Welcome aboard!

Richard

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Richard,
Thank you for the warm welcome. I am glad to be here. I did not try metformin. I was on Actos and a lot of others that I do not remember. I have a bad memory. The last two I was on were Vytorin and then TriCor. I was on each medicine for a long time. None of them worked. My blood glucose tests came out bad with each medicine.

As long as I stick with my diet, my tests come out great. When I do not, I pay the price. Even with medicine, we have to keep to the diet. At least I do.

Ruth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts