The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My glucose levels seem to vary wildly. For the past 5 days my morning reads have been 137, 123,126, 136 and 97. I have also taken three evening reads. The first two were around 8:30 or 9:00 after a 2 or 3 hour fast and the results were: 91 and 101. Another evening read was taken at 11:30 pm after a few alcoholic drinks and a big hamburger patty with no bum and steamed vegetables. I am male and 49. I feel like I have had blood sugar issues all my life. There are times when if I don’t eat my head feels like it is caving in and I can’t think straight. What is happening? Signed Sweet in LA.

O

·
0 Posts
hi Sweet & welcome. What type of diabetes do you have? What medications (if any) are you taking? Share a bit more about what your condition is and how you manage it with us all. There's a few things I can think of that may be affecting your BGLs... but it's hard to say without knowing what you have and what meds you take. For me I have BGLs that go all over the place when I'm sick... and I've been sick a lot in past 4 years. But also eating too much carbs, using the wrong meds, etc. can be causes for irratic BGLs too. I hope you have a medical team looking after you. If you're concerned you probably should be speaking to your endo about it and making sure you're on the right path with managing your condition. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - I don't take any meds and am reaching out on the subject for the first time. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but it runs in my family and based on my previous post outlining my glucose levels I am wondering if I have a problem and if I do what is the problem I have. Looking for answers!
Thank you.

hi Sweet & welcome. What type of diabetes do you have? What medications (if any) are you taking? Share a bit more about what your condition is and how you manage it with us all. There's a few things I can think of that may be affecting your BGLs... but it's hard to say without knowing what you have and what meds you take. For me I have BGLs that go all over the place when I'm sick... and I've been sick a lot in past 4 years. But also eating too much carbs, using the wrong meds, etc. can be causes for irratic BGLs too. I hope you have a medical team looking after you. If you're concerned you probably should be speaking to your endo about it and making sure you're on the right path with managing your condition. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, LA. We cannot give you the answers you seek; only your doctor can run the proper tests and make the diagnosis. But I can tell you that your morning readings are about like mine and I was diagnosed on the basis of an A1c of 7.36 and 130 fbg.

Yes, you have a problem, and you need to treat it as soon as you can, because that is how to avoid more serious & permanent complications of this disorder. Diabetes is not the end of the world. There may not be a cure, but there is good control of blood sugars and once we set our minds to controlling our blood sugars, we are as healthy, hale & hearty as any non-diabetic. Please see your doctor soon, and keep your head from caving in!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Usually when you are insulin resistant your pancreas some times doesn't pump out enough insulin and sometimes pumps out too much flooding your system and crashing your bgs. This could be giving your head that wierd feeling. With the bgs you posted you are definitely treading in diabetic waters. I would call your doctor and ask for an HbA1c test, a fasting blood test and possibly an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. The result of these will tell you if you have diabetes and you can begin treatment.

O

·
0 Posts
Hi - I don't take any meds and am reaching out on the subject for the first time. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but it runs in my family and based on my previous post outlining my glucose levels I am wondering if I have a problem and if I do what is the problem I have. Looking for answers!
Thank you.
It's good you're noticing that you may have a problem and reaching out for help Sweet. Everyone here is happy to help with advice & sharing experiences... although if you haven't seen a doc as yet, that's your No.1 priority. The hb1ac test has to be done by your doc and that will tell them what your blood glucose average is for the past 60 days. When I got diagnosed myself I was told that if you're over 8 (I think that's 130 your reading?) on this test then you get sent off for further testing from an endocronoligist to check what your pancreas is doing, etc. It may sound daunting to you, but it's the best thing to get the proper tests done... you may be told you're "pre-diabetic" too if level below 8 on that first test (I think that's 130 or something your readings). But then again I'm in different country so I don't know what the rules that docs follow for diagnosis where you live... it could be a lower reading number where they say you're diabetic or pre-diabetic? Before you have your tests it's probably wise to continue with your current diet/exercise regime. Once you have results you may find you have to make changes, etc. Let us all know how you go. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In the US they usually consider high 5's -6.5 prediabetic and over 6.5 fully diabetic. My doctor recommends I stay under 6.0

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
My glucose levels seem to vary wildly. For the past 5 days my morning reads have been 137, 123,126, 136 and 97. I have also taken three evening reads. The first two were around 8:30 or 9:00 after a 2 or 3 hour fast and the results were: 91 and 101. Another evening read was taken at 11:30 pm after a few alcoholic drinks and a big hamburger patty with no bum and steamed vegetables. I am male and 49. I feel like I have had blood sugar issues all my life. There are times when if I don’t eat my head feels like it is caving in and I can’t think straight. What is happening? Signed Sweet in LA.
What made you decide to test in the first place? Your readings are high enough to be considered diabetic, but only your doctor can make the diagnosis. Have you ever tested your blood sugar when you feel like your head is caving in? Your blood sugar may be low. See a doctor and
let him run some tests to see if you have diabetes. Let us know how things turn out. BTW, :welcome: to the forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts