The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have struggled for some time with losing weight. I went approximately about three months and lost only a couple of pounds but all of a sudden I started losing a few. The loss I contributed to cutting back on carbs. I thought the best thing to go along with controlling Blood Sugar was to eliminate carbs as much as I could. The weight continued to drop and I eliminated more carbs. But it eventually caught up to me as the last three days I felt like crap. I was constantly hungry, tired and had no energy. The hunger was tough on me so I started eating more, things with no carbs. This did not satisfy my hunger at all. I weighed myself last night and this morning and I am now 5 pounds heavier than I was a week ago. Even with cutting the carbs the way I did my BS did not ever really drop any. Last night after weighing myself I decided to get back on the carb schedule I was on before eating 3 to 5 units per meal. This afternoon already I am feeling much better and don't have this feeling that I need to eat something.

·
Registered
33 Posts
everyone needs carbs for energy. I know it sounds like cheating and its something to be proud of to have an a1c of 5.3 without any insulin. But imagine all the suffering you are going through could be solved with just a small bit of insulin. I don't know exactly how your BS is affected with carbs but I have cut out quite a bit of carbs from my diet and I really can't imagine banishing them completely. Your dedication is amazing, but all this hard work is to live longer right? Might as well make are remaining years as enjoyable as possible!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am known to have Liver Dumps based on my own testing. Could I have lower levels if I didn't have the liver dumps, I don't know. Prior though with 3 - 5 carb units per meal and no insulin I really never went over 120 anyway. I think some place along the line I wanted to see lower levels. With the amount of exercise I do I think I could still stay under 120 with no insulin. I am going to watch it close. My doctor told me some time ago not to worry about insulin until I hit 140 for two consecutive readings.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
ive not experienced this, at least not yet.

i still have little desire to eat food, but must eat three times a day

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I haven't gone extremely low-carb, I just get them from mostly veggies and low-GI/GL sources.

I certainly eat lower-carb than most people, but I still usually get in the neighbourhood of 90-120g a day, depending on the day.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Feeling like crap when you go below a certain level of carbs is called carb withdrawl. You do not need carbs for energy but your body wants carbs because they are easier to convert and it's what your body is used to. Once you get past the withdrawl and teach your body to process protein and fats for your needs it's suprising how little "hunger" you feel. I had the carb craving hunger and withdrawl for about 3 days - I've heard that for some people it lasts a little longer. After that.. no problems, I have as much energy as I ever did living on carbs. :)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Feeling like crap when you go below a certain level of carbs is called carb withdrawl. You do not need carbs for energy but your body wants carbs because they are easier to convert and it's what your body is used to. Once you get past the withdrawl and teach your body to process protein and fats for your needs it's suprising how little "hunger" you feel. I had the carb craving hunger and withdrawl for about 3 days - I've heard that for some people it lasts a little longer. After that.. no problems, I have as much energy as I ever did living on carbs. :)
i agree with this. i cannot even remember the last time i had more then a handful of carbs in one day (and those carbs were from veggies)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Although I eat pretty low-carb, I doubt I've ever dropped quite that low . . . mine get counted after I eat them & I may get down to 40g/daily now & again, but rarely below. But I do agree with Vicky & Eric, in that our bodies can render any need "fuel" from protein & fats . . . carbs are not a necessity, regardless of how many doctors, dietitians & diet "gurus" insist they are. Carbs are just the quick & easy way . . . :rolleyes: (I do concede however, that the highest-fiber carbs facilitate a very important process in our bodies - especially for us old folks! :D)

·
Registered
33 Posts
do you take supplements like chromium and cinnamon? I can honestly say I see a difference when I take them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
To Carb, or Not to Carb: That is the Question?

I just wanted to say that I understand the OP's frustration with weight loss and GAIN! It is a no win situation when it comes to living with diabetes. The insulin is part of the problem, and the rest is whether we want to feel like we've been hit by a semi every day, or have a little "pep-in-our-step!"

I gave up carb counting, and I'm a lot happier. I guess the freedom to not be under the constraints of counting every single carb I put in my body has it good and bad points. Right now I'm holding my own with the war against diabetes, and that is what matters.

Of course, everyone on this forum is different, and you must find the best route to get you to your life destination, and be at peace with the results. I will say, that it is imperative that a diabetic keeps their weight under tight control, just like it is imperative that you keep you BG under tight control.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I Do, But I Don't . . .

. . . I don't get it perfect every time. I have tried using the scales, Shanny, and for whatever reason, they don't always come out right, because I will have high and low spikes. I have simplified my counting, and by looking at what everything is worth (carb numbers), I take what I think will be enough in insulin. Sometimes I get it right on, and other times, it is off. I just quit trying to make the numbers add up, and I am doing quite well.

I keep an accurate log of every meal I eat, my BG numbers prior to the meal, and the amount of insulin needed, and because I eat the same thing (most of the time) it works out pretty much the same each meal. It works for me, and I suppose it works for a lot of others. I just got tired of measuring out everything I was going to eat and adding up how many units of insulin I'd need. I was making as many mistakes that way as I do this way, and I'm less stressed. :loco:

Actually, I'm doing better this way, than the strict monitoring way.

I may have to go back to the other method some day, but, for now I'm fine. My last A1C (two weeks ago was 6.5. my seven day average is currently at 114. My 14 day average is 121, and my 30 day average is 125. That seems to be good enough right now, and my docs are happy with what I'm doing.

Every time I request a scale of my nurse (or doctor) they tell me to look at the calories, and keep them the same per meal, which makes my units of insulin very much the same each meal.

Thanks for asking. I tried to get by on less than 100 carbs a day, and it drove me crazy, and I felt like I wasn't getting enough food. Now I feel like I'm back in control, somewhat.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have always kept my carb count under 5 units per day except for the days I have worked out. On the days I worked out I increased with fast acting protein products. I believe I hit trouble wwhen I went lower along with the excessive work outs. Keep in mind I am going for an hour and keeping my heart rate at an average of 75% and burning around 800 calories in that hour. I don't think one can get enough energy through protein in this case. My experience is liver dumps if I don't eat carbs around workouts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts