The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month I've been out of town for the holidays and I've been feeling nauseated after eating dinner. The people I was visiting suggested that I take my blood sugar after one meal and the meter read 370, twice. The past two days my fasting blood sugar (overnight) has been around 250 and an hour after dinner is 280-340.. I haven't been diagnosed with diabetes but I'm visiting family for the holidays and I can't see one for at least a week.. I'm not really sure what I should do in the meantime. I tried watching what I ate today and it's still 276 after I had dinner (which was just two eggs and half of a small read potato). I've been eating salads and small amounts of food. I've been drinking three or four bottles of water a day.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am just curious, have you had elevated blood sugars in the past so you had a meter? Could you give us a bit more background? Personally, I think the best thing you can do until you get to the doctor is eat low carb and keep drinking the water. I would stay away from the potatoes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm visiting with my boyfriends parents out of town. My boyfriend and his father have type one diabetes and plenty of strips and test machines. I know about diabetes from my father and grandmother though, they were type two.

I've never had any problems with blood sugar in the past. Being raised with the knowledge of diabetes, everytime I felt bad after a meal it was always suggested I tested my sugar levels. This is the first time I've ever seen it above 95..

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Until you can see your doctor, if I were you I would do as Jojeti suggests - strip my meals of all carbohydrate . . . anything made with cereal grains (corn, wheat, rice, oats, barley, etc) which means bread, pasta, chips, tortillas, etc. I would also back off on milk, as well as starchy vegetables like potatoes, peas/beans, and the like. This may not be how the other diabetics you're with manage theirs, but I assure you it the best way to reduce your blood sugar quickly.

Then, lest you begin to feel weak and lethargic, I would increase the natural fats in your meals to compensate for the removal of the carbs.

And while you're waiting, you could be reading up on diabetes here. There's a lot to be learned about this disorder, and it's pretty well covered in laymens' language.

The catch-22 with diabetes is that if you don't eat, or eat very little as you started doing this week, your blood sugar will still rise. So you need to continue eating enough, just don't eat carbs. The salads are fine, but check the labels on the dressings, because those can be loaded with carbs too, especially if you like sweet dressings. If your preferences run more to ranch & bleu cheese, go for it - those don't normally have many carbs. Protein in small portions is all right too . . . and plenty of fats to stave off hungry and give you energy.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
This may sound Blount, but you are probably one bad meal (high carb) from getting really sick. I know it's the holidays and high carb food choices are all around you, you got to cut them out right now. Meat, veggies, only till you see a doc. Don't under eat either, if you eat a salad be sure to have some protein with it.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All right, Thanks for this information. That's exactly what I'm trying to prevent. (becoming really sick) My first reaction was to eat less because of how nauseous I felt while my sugar was in the 300 range. I'll definitely pick it up and just eat meats and veggies. (not peas or potatoes or corn.. ^_^; )

As for the meats, does it make a huge difference in what type of meat?

·
Registered
554 Posts
All right, Thanks for this information. That's exactly what I'm trying to prevent. (becoming really sick) My first reaction was to eat less because of how nauseous I felt while my sugar was in the 300 range. I'll definitely pick it up and just eat meats and veggies. (not peas or potatoes or corn.. ^_^; )

As for the meats, does it make a huge difference in what type of meat?
I find the fattier meats work best for me when eating low carb otherwise I get hungry quicker. I have noticed especially if I eat just chicken breast (no skin) that it doesn't last long enough until my next meal. I do better with the dark meat and beef. If I do have chicken breast or lean pork, I do better if I have a fatty sauce with it.

Reactions: Mar2a and Shanny

·
Registered
80 Posts
You need to go to an urgent care clinic. If you are not diagnosed it is not safe to suggest insulin or medication. The sooner u see a doc the better. In the meantime watch carbs and drink lots of water 😀 I sympathize I have been in situations with high blood sugar when my insulin wasn't enough and I was away from home. Maybe you can see a. Family members doctor

·
Registered
640 Posts
You don't say where you're visiting, but if you're in the US, you can always pick up a very cheap meter and a small supply of strips at a Walmart or Target. Testing 1 hour after your first bite of a meal tells you how badly the meal affects you. Testing at the 2-hour mark tells you how well your body is recovering from the high.

As Shanny suggested, go to the Blood Sugar 101 site. There's a lot of information there, explained clearly, that can help you and ease your fears.

And do come back and let us know how you're doing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, please take the advice of the forum. And with those regular numbers you may possibly need to be put on insulin. Don't let them stay up that long or you might go DKA which is a horrible situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I felt much better. I had a couple salads, a hot dog, some chicken and broccoli, a little more chicken in a salad. And my reading an hour after dinner was 257 which is better than 280-350 but I wish it would go a little lower..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Reading nutrition labels is important. For example, I'll bet the hot dog you ate had sugar in it, as do many salad dressings.

Getting BG under control with diet & exercise takes quite a while (weeks to months), and meds are typically needed as adjunct. The biggest problem, I think, is changing life-long eating habits, so that we no longer 'treat' ourselves to just one (or two) muffin or hot dog or ... whatever. This is NOT helped by all the temptations that are thrown at us incessantly -- at work, at home, driving by all those fast food joints etc.

Congrats on starting on your way to a healthier life. Do your best, get good medical help, measure often & be gentle with yourself through the process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At my doctor appointment on friday I gave my doctor over a week-long log of fasting blood sugar levels and she took blood to do the a1c and various other tests. She called me monday with the results saying my a1c is 8.0, my kidneys CO2 level is high due to my high blood sugar levels and I'm in hydrothyroidism. (A little history here is that I had hyperthyroidism due to thyroid cancer that was taken care of 3 years ago and now I'm taking thyroid medication to keep my levels slightly above normal. The TSH blood levels were too low, even though I've seen my endocrinologist two months ago and they were fine.)

On top of all of this my doctor wants to see me in a week and she wants me to continue logging my fasting blood sugars.

What I don't understand is that I already gave her a log and I've been keeping it through-out the weekend and she still wants me to go another week without medication to help keep my blood sugar levels. Is there a rational explaination for this or should I just go to the hospital to get faster help? I feel really terrible. My sugar levels still haven't gone below 200 that I know of (I test after eating and fasting) and I feel nauseated all the time.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
At my doctor appointment on friday I gave my doctor over a week-long log of fasting blood sugar levels and she took blood to do the a1c and various other tests. She called me monday with the results saying my a1c is 8.0, my kidneys CO2 level is high due to my high blood sugar levels and I'm in hydrothyroidism. (A little history here is that I had hyperthyroidism due to thyroid cancer that was taken care of 3 years ago and now I'm taking thyroid medication to keep my levels slightly above normal. The TSH blood levels were too low, even though I've seen my endocrinologist two months ago and they were fine.)

On top of all of this my doctor wants to see me in a week and she wants me to continue logging my fasting blood sugars.

What I don't understand is that I already gave her a log and I've been keeping it through-out the weekend and she still wants me to go another week without medication to help keep my blood sugar levels. Is there a rational explaination for this or should I just go to the hospital to get faster help? I feel really terrible. My sugar levels still haven't gone below 200 that I know of (I test after eating and fasting) and I feel nauseated all the time.
It's called money, the more times you see your doc the more they get paid. Your going to have to pressure them. The A1C alone should have been enough to put you on MET. I was told by our doc that once your on thyroid meds the TSH thyroid test is meaningless, you now have to gauge your meds on free and total T3, T4.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, I just searched for the blood test order form from my endocrinologist and she actually tested TSH+Free T4. That's what the order sheet says.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts