The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to make the font on Internet pages just a bit bigger and more comfortable to read. I have a new computer as my old one just quit. The new one is HP running Windows 7. I'm frustrated and every time I sit down and try to figure this thing out, my blood sugars go sky high from stress. Thanks for your help.

Strawberry

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My computer is getting a little long-in-the-tooth, but if I hold down the control key and scroll the mouse wheel forward, it enlarges the font. Good luck - I know how aggravating it is trying to read teeny tiny text!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Did you try CTRL & "+" yet? That expands most web browsers fonts, etc...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have a Mac laptop. If I touch the pad and move my fingers towards the outside of the pad the screen gets larger. To make it smaller move fingers on both sides towards center of touch pad. It may be different on yours, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Computer administrator here. What Shanny said is spot on. Its called "control & Scroll". It makes the font larger or smaller in IE depending on if you scroll up or down while holding the control key.

You can also change the computer resolution to 1024x768 which is what I set it to for people that have a hard time seeing small font. 1024x768 is what most sites are optimized for. New computers sometimes default to a high resolution for some people. Especially some of the newer computers with wide screens.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Computer administrator here. What Shanny said is spot on. Its called "control & Scroll".
Bah. Mice and scroll wheels are for the weak. :D Keyboard all the way for me.

Can you tell I'm an old DOS guy? I fought Windows all the way, lol. (Yes, I finally adopted it, but would still rather work in a command prompt and use the keyboard (I use the TAB key more than anyone alive) to select things...

Reactions: Wink

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Computer administrator here. What Shanny said is spot on. Its called "control & Scroll". It makes the font larger or smaller in IE depending on if you scroll up or down while holding the control key.
Thanks, Carbo! And for the record, "control & scroll" works for Firefox too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...And for the record, "control & scroll" works for Firefox too.
... and so does CTRL & "+" (or CTRL & "-")

FIGHT THE POWER! :hippie:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much, each one of you. My old computer was more than 10 years old and I didn't really want to part with it for sentimental reasons. But it was getting slower and slower and just couldn't keep up anymore. It would take me forever to download even the most simple of items. Now that I have the new one, I find myself missing the old one a LOT. At least I could see the words on that one.

My brother, who is in his mid 40's is also a keyboard control person. He told me back in the late 80's when he first took a computer class the instructor wouldn't allow the students to use anything but the keyboard.

I learned much from all of you and I do so appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts