The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to ask for your help with a non-diabetic problem, but this is my second home and I hope someone can help me out. I have been diagnosed with OSA-sleep apnea and I got my nasal mask and CPAP machine today. The respiratory therapist helped me to figure out how to use all of the crap. I am totally overwhelmed right now. I also found out today that I stop breathing 24 times per minute and my breathing is very shallow at times, plus my pulse ox is low. I have a port to add my oxygen to the CPAP machine. I really don't know if I am going to be able to sleep like this. I had a nightmare come true. I am still trying to get my strength back since I had 2 hospital stays where I was really sick. I feel like I just want to throw in the towel and let things happen naturally. I thought about just stop using my oxygen and let things just happen. I don't want to sleep with the CPAP machine and just want to continue to sleep without it regardless of my need for it. I probably sound crazy and there have been times when I felt crazy. I am tired of being sick and I still have no answers about what is causing the bouts of pneumonia. I have yet to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
((((Breeze)))) I know this is the last straw - like it's insult added to injury . . . I hope you'll acclimate quickly to the mask, or maybe they could try the nose pillows, if the mask is too confining. Your BG is stable, and I think when you begin to get decent rest, you'll gain strength much faster. Just please hang on & give it a chance, my friend . . . we've been pulling for you all summer and we still are.

love and prayers . . .

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
((((Breeze)))) I know this is the last straw - like it's insult added to injury . . . I hope you'll acclimate quickly to the mask, or maybe they could try the nose pillows, if the mask is too confining. Your BG is stable, and I think when you begin to get decent rest, you'll gain strength much faster. Just please hang on & give it a chance, my friend . . . we've been pulling for you all summer and we still are.

love and prayers . . .
Thanks Shanny! I need your prayers!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wish I had some magic words to make this easier for you but I don't think I have them.
Sometimes when I feel like I just want to give up on something, I think of all the tough things I've already been through in my life and I figure.. yeah, I can make it through this one too.
You can too. It's tough.. but you're tougher!
I think Shanny is right.. if you can get some real sleep I think you'll feel lots stronger.
Take Care

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
You're in my thoughts Breezy, hang in there

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
((((((Breeze)))))) I know it seems hopeless...but you can do this. Look at what you have come through already. You have much love and prayers coming at you from all over hon..just hang in there!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hang in there Breezeonby. I read somewhere where someone made a shelf behind the headboard on their bed to put the CPAP machine so they were not fighing the hose. Maybe others will come along and tell how they set up the equipment and what works for them. My Mom is on oxygen as well for pulmonary hypertension. I know it must be overwhelming right now but you have all of us here praying for you and pulling for you.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It definitely helps to have the hose feeding in from above & behind. I can get by with setting the machine on the nightstand and then feeding the hose back & hooking it over the headboard.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You are in my prayers as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
breezeonby,

I can't tell you I know what you are going through but I can tell you that using a CPAP might make you feel a whole lot better once you become used to it. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea last year. When the doctor told me I stopped breathing 136 times in less than 2 hours I thought he was joking. Turns out, he wasn't.

Being naive I had no idea what to expect when I started the cpap. But for once I tried maintaining an open mind. I was surprised when I did start to sleep better and to eventually feel better physically. Stay strong and don't give up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I do know how you feel. I too have thought about just saying to heck with it and quit taking all the stuff they keep telling me ned to take. But then I think what do expect when you take 6 hormone replacements and other stuff for other conditions. Take care you will see an end soon.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Here's a weird development in my CPAP saga . . . my new mask doesn't hold my mouth closed like the old one did, but it's a much better mask as far as comfort, holding a good seal, etc. The new development relates to the bad disc in my neck - if I'm really feeling it, I sleep wearing my cervical collar, which helps hold my mouth closed too (yes, I prob'ly look like a Star Wars storm trooper :rolleyes:). This morning when I awakened in a cozy bed in a very chilly room (head under the covers, I might add), I was struck by how safe, secure and snug I felt! Granted, I'm not in the slightest claustrophobic, so wakening in such a dark confined position was nothing but positive . . . I had to force myself to get outta bed!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks For Your Support

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for all of your support. This forum means the world to me and I know if I have a problem, this is the place that I can count on. I wish that I could meet some of the members here. I have one very special lady that means the world to me, Shanny. I have a special place in my heart for her. Once again, thanks for helping me out when I needed help!

Becky

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i agree wholeheartedly Breezy!

This board is amazing and in particular, Shanny is awesomeness!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a weird development in my CPAP saga . . . my new mask doesn't hold my mouth closed like the old one did, but it's a much better mask as far as comfort, holding a good seal, etc. The new development relates to the bad disc in my neck - if I'm really feeling it, I sleep wearing my cervical collar, which helps hold my mouth closed too (yes, I prob'ly look like a Star Wars storm trooper :rolleyes:). This morning when I awakened in a cozy bed in a very chilly room (head under the covers, I might add), I was struck by how safe, secure and snug I felt! Granted, I'm not in the slightest claustrophobic, so wakening in such a dark confined position was nothing but positive . . . I had to force myself to get outta bed!
The first night on the machine, I woke up with the mask laying on the floor....who knows how long the mask was on. Last night I had the mask on wrong, no wonder I have a sore chin! Hmm....I guess I should have had more training! :eek:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can you find a name & model number on it? Maybe it's one I'd recognize if you tell me.
OK, it is a Respironics, REMstar Pro C-Flex 4, the mask is by Fisher & Paykel, FlexiFit405 Nasal Mask. It has a humidifier on it. What does it mean when it is set on "9"? You press a button to turn it on and you can press another smaller button to turn the air power back to 4 and then it works its way up to 9 in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Mine is an old Remstar, and until a few weeks ago I was using the Fisher/Paykel Flexifit 431 - it's a full face mask - the one that fits under my chin & holds my mouth closed. But when they upped my setting from 10 to 15, it didn't work as well, so since the tech had given me a nasal mask too, I tried it & I like it: Resmed Ultra Mirage II, or something like that. I'd never used just a nasal mask before.

I think I was started out at the 9 setting, then raised to 10, and finally this month, to 15. I don't understand the physics of it, but was told that the settings are how much pressure it takes to raise a column of water a certain number of centimeters.

p.s. Oh yeah! That ramping up button is very nice . . . I use it every time I strap in! :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts