The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been Type 1 since 2003 and I should have figured this out by now. For some reason when I have a hypo or low(<70) and I treat it by using glucose tabs or glucose gel - I have this awful feeling of panic that over takes me. All the professional advice says to take "X" number of glucose tabs to correct the low and then wait 15 to 30 min and check your BG again. In the meantime my BG falls even lower and I panic because in the past I've had some lows that went to 38 (2.1). Why does it seem to take forever for my BG to respond to the glucose tablets or gel that I take for a correction? Am I not doing the right thing? Or should I be trying something else to bring the BG up without over-correcting? :confused:

G

·
Strawberry, I feel your stress. I know it well, I have had lows in the 20s and taken loads of sugars and complex carbs to bring back up sometimes up to two hours to keep stable above 70s. don't know why but happens sometimes.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think it is natural to be worried when the BG is really low. But when you learn to trust that the BG will go up again when you have eaten something with carbohydrates, it will become easier.
In my body it feels just the same if the BG is going quick up or down, I cant feel the difference before my BG is 1,7- 1,9.
I check when i`m not sure whats going on. If it is 3 or lower, I drink about 1/4 cup with orange juice, and I will take one fruit, usually a kiwi.
When I am finished with this I wait 15 minuts, and check my BG again.
If it is lower I take about 20 gram with dark chocolate or a little bit more fruit.
I then wait 15 minuts and check my BG again.
If it is lower I eat a little more chocolate or fruit, but if it has started to rise again, I eat something fat, maybe nuts or something else tempting me (I usually dont feel to eat or drink when my BG goes quick up and down; I feel sick).
In our family I am the only one who is relaxed even if my BG is really low; my family takes care of the fear for me.......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strawberry, I feel your stress. I know it well, I have had lows in the 20s and taken loads of sugars and complex carbs to bring back up sometimes up to two hours to keep stable above 70s. don't know why but happens sometimes.
twplunk - Do you always take loads of sugars and complex carbs to bring up a low blood sugar? I've been reading online and trying to figure out the reason why my blood sugar seems to do a 'double-dip' into low numbers? I'm thinking maybe I need both the sugar and the complex carb.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is natural to be worried when the BG is really low. But when you learn to trust that the BG will go up again when you have eaten something with carbohydrates, it will become easier.
In my body it feels just the same if the BG is going quick up or down, I cant feel the difference before my BG is 1,7- 1,9.
I check when i`m not sure whats going on. If it is 3 or lower, I drink about 1/4 cup with orange juice, and I will take one fruit, usually a kiwi.
When I am finished with this I wait 15 minuts, and check my BG again.
If it is lower I take about 20 gram with dark chocolate or a little bit more fruit.
I then wait 15 minuts and check my BG again.
If it is lower I eat a little more chocolate or fruit, but if it has started to rise again, I eat something fat, maybe nuts or something else tempting me (I usually dont feel to eat or drink when my BG goes quick up and down; I feel sick).
In our family I am the only one who is relaxed even if my BG is really low; my family takes care of the fear for me.......:rolleyes:
I treat my low BG just about the same as you...but I have forgotten to eat something fat or a little fruit if it is lower after I check. I am also like you - I often feel sick and not hungry when my BG is very low. My children are grown now and my husband works nights at his job ... so I'm the only one who worries and has fear. :(

G

·
twplunk - Do you always take loads of sugars and complex carbs to bring up a low blood sugar? I've been reading online and trying to figure out the reason why my blood sugar seems to do a 'double-dip' into low numbers? I'm thinking maybe I need both the sugar and the complex carb.
Not always loads of sugars but normally have to follow quick adjustments with something that will last a while or numbers will just go back down. Meds (for me anyway, can't speak for everyone) tend to fight numbers back down if only simple carbs are taken, kind of like a yoyo.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you watch your cgms screen and see it start to dip you need to do 2 things. A finger stick to see how fast you are dropping and then treat it. The faster it is dropping the more it takes. Remember it is easier to bored a train in the station versious rolling down the tracks. If you have runaway you stop it then get it where you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If you watch your cgms screen and see it start to dip you need to do 2 things. A finger stick to see how fast you are dropping and then treat it. The faster it is dropping the more it takes. Remember it is easier to bored a train in the station versious rolling down the tracks. If you have runaway you stop it then get it where you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes
Adjitater, I assume you are referring to an insulin pump or constant bg reading meter when you say cgms screen? Since most Type 2's don't have these, I usually begin to feel very anxious, hyper, and my body starts shaking when I am having a low. However, with that said, it is not a gradual thing for me; I do not begin feeling like this until I'm rather low (like in the 50's) and then I panic because I don't like the feeling and I want to feel okay right now! I begin shoving sugary stuff in my system and end up throwing myself into a high number. Of course I feel better, but I usually feel wiped out when this happens. I now have gotten glucose tablets and gel that I keep with me all the time (the last low hit while I was driving and I had nothing with me at the time. Luckily I was close to home, but I was afraid I would pass out). I also now know not to get in my car to drive without checking my bg's.

·
Registered
741 Posts
best thing I ever did was get glucose tablets...like most I panicked when the numbers drop...then I cannot think clearly...the glucose tablets take away the panic

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 9 of 9 Posts