The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went through a similar phaze, I was diagnosed aged 2 so my parents looked after me untill I was about 11 or 12 I was ok untill about 14 when I just didnt want to know about it anymore, I stopped looking after myself completly and drove my poor parents to distraction, they were constantly chasing me, trying to get me to look after myself but the more they chased the more I rebelled, it was only when I left home for college that I started to realise that I felt terrible all the time and it was my own doing and that I was the only person who could change that. It sounds to me that your daughter is having trouble accepting the fact that she does have diabetes and unfortunatly the more you chase her the furher she will run, I found that when I had no one chasing me anymore I realised that I was the one in charge, however this definatly wasnt an overnight transformation, it took almost 3 years for me to fully come to terms with it and get myself back on track, I know that sounds like a long time, but itsa a life long illness so its important to take that time to deal with the issues involved with it on your own terms. I know it must be really hard as a parent to watch your child play roulet with her health but the best thing you can do for her is be ther to offer her your support not enforce it. Try and not bring up diabetes directly too much, I found that everyone used to ask me how my diabetes was instead of How I was and it made me feel like a walking illness, try and let your daughter bring it up in conversation herself.
Teenagers tend to think they know it all, so telling here how she should do things will not help, instead ask here how she thinks she should deal with issues ie. if she says she is feeling low. dont tell here to eat something or offer to get her something, ask her what shes thinks she should do, it will encourage her to start thinking about it and learn to deal with it herself.
the best advice I can give based on my personal experienc is to let her learn by her own mistakes, if she is constantly making herself feel ill, she is not goin to enjoy it and have to start lookin after herself sooner or later, but that will only happen if you stand back and let her experience it for herself. trust me once you learn what its like to feel bad and how easy it is to make yourself feel good again, she will never go back.
Hope this helps!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.