The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doc says to go on a diabetes diet while I wait to see the endocrinologist.

What do your diets look like?

high fat/low carb seems to help a lot but I still feel it needs tweaked a bit.

Sometimes I do a high fat low carb meal and feel like a million bucks and sometimes I eat one and feel crappy, I can't figure out the difference in the scenarios.

I have to be missing specifics somewhere, is there a number of carbs/protein/fat you try to stay at? I can't figure out why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Any tips would be awesome, thanks!

G

·
Doc says to go on a diabetes diet while I wait to see the endocrinologist.

What do your diets look like?

high fat/low carb seems to help a lot but I still feel it needs tweaked a bit.

Sometimes I do a high fat low carb meal and feel like a million bucks and sometimes I eat one and feel crappy, I can't figure out the difference in the scenarios.
Yep, you've got diabetes! That's what it does to us. And what works for me wouldn't necessarily work for you, or even for me on another day.

The only way you can tell what works for you is to prepare a meal, test before you eat it, and test at 1 hour and 2 hours afterwards. If your blood sugar spikes up into the diabetic range and doesn't come back to near the pre-meal test result, then something in that meal has too much carbohydrate in it. Either stop eating it, or eat a lot less.

There are lots of recipes here, so try some of those that look tasty to you and test, test, test.

What I've done is to remove all carbohydrates from my diet with the exception of leafy vegetables and a particular type of grape tomato that is sweet and crunchy and satisfies my long-term need for tomatoes. But I can't eat too many of them. :(

About the only prepared stuff I eat these days is Paul Newman's Caesar salad dressing, full fat Italian salad dressing, and a French onion dip that I discovered just a few days ago. I make everything else from scratch.

It can all be frustrating and disappointing, so I've decided to treat it as an adventure in eating new ingredients, and try things I've never tried before. :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hypoglycemia is actually the first symptom of Diabetes. It means your endocrine system is not working properly. Many of us suffered from hypoglycemia for many years before full blown Diabetes. It is good you are taking it seriously,now. What usually happens in the early stages is that you still produce Insulin but your cells don't accept the insulin, so your pancreas keeps cranking out more. So you actually have way too much insulin floating around your system. There is no one Diabetic Diet that will help everyone. I eat a diet that is very low carb and high fat. I eat about 10-15 carbs per meal or less. The important part is the FAT. Many doctors will tell you FAT is bad but our bgs love it. As long as you are not eating high carb the FAT will not bother you. I have lost 30 pounds on a LC/HF diet. I tend to eat things like Bacon and Eggs, Steak and mushrooms, lots of salads, lots of baked goods made with almond meal or almond flour. I don't eat any bread but eat WASA Rye crackers and GG Brancrisp crackers. I also make my own crackers with Almond meal. When you eat low carb your body doesn't need a lot of insulin to process your meals so your bgs stay in a stable range- no highs and no lows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts