The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

well i have something to ask which really bothers me , my father has diabetes i am not sure which type but since he was diagnoised , the doctors tried the pills with him but no results , they tries insulin and it kept it very well , he must always take insulinbefore any meal i am not sure which type is this
now my question will i get diabetes also ? none of my grand fathers or g.mothers had it , during their lifetime he got it at the age of 40 , my mother is not diabetic also , she just had diabetes when she was pregnant in me ( well she told me ) but then it became all normal once she gave me birth
please i really need your help in that question
i am 21 years old ,my father has been diagnoised 20 years old he is 60 now and he always need insulin .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Hello Dido, I see your concern as Diabetes do run in the family and so there for hereditary. I would ask a doctor. Your Father is a Type 1 and he is very dependent on insulin!!! Knowing this is a big value to your Father as you can able to help him if he snuffer's a low and give him a sweet like sugar induced OJ or similar and stay with him till he feels better. There is the other thing that many people think that a Diabetic is not allowed sugar. That's so wrong!!! as he can manage the amount buy counting it and know when to stop. Always see that there is nothing to get in the way of getting his insulin!!

I hope this helps. ;):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Dido, I see your concern as Diabetes do run in the family and so there for hereditary. I would ask a doctor. Your Father is a Type 1 and he is very dependent on insulin!!! Knowing this is a big value to your Father as you can able to help him if he snuffer's a low and give him a sweet like sugar induced OJ or similar and stay with him till he feels better. There is the other thing that many people think that a Diabetic is not allowed sugar. That's so wrong!!! as he can manage the amount buy counting it and know when to stop. Always see that there is nothing to get in the way of getting his insulin!!

I hope this helps. ;):)
Thank you so much, Anthil but my father has chosoed another way to fight diabetes , he doesnt take insulin , about 2 years ago he stopped it , well he is a grumpy man so it is hard to convince him , he feels just a little bad without the insulin but he still can survive so he fights .
but does he being diabetic means i will be diabetic too ? though neither his parents or my mother's parents had diabetes i mean is it a must to have it after him?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Thank you so much, Anthil but my father has chosoed another way to fight diabetes , he doesn't take insulin , about 2 years ago he stopped it , well he is a grumpy man so it is hard to convince him , he feels just a little bad without the insulin but he still can survive so he fights .
but does he being diabetic means i will be diabetic too ? though neither his parents or my mother's parents had diabetes i mean is it a must to have it after him?
No. There is no guarantee that just because your dad has it, you will get it too. I would take it as a wakeup call, and do whatever I could to make sure I stayed healthy, got lots of exercise, and kept my weight down, while making sure I avoided junk food, and for pete's sake, don't eat anything that is made with high fructose corn syrup. If you see that on the nutrition label, run away from it. I don't think that means you cannot eat ice cream or candy bars, but neither of them is very healthy for you, so moderation in all things seems the smart way to go.

There are many ways that diabetes shows up, and no one knows for sure what exactly the triggers are. I guess there are many possibilities, so take my unsolicited advice, and learn to live a lifestyle of a T2 diabetic, as well as you can. That lifestyle is one of diet and exercise, and you can never go wrong taking better care of yourself.

You DON'T want this disease :) and if you are from a family that has it, you may have a genetic disposition for it, but that does not mean it will occur.

The truth is, many people get it, don't bother with it, and do okay anyway. Its just that its always better to try and take care of it, rather than roll the dice that it won't do you in over the long term.

Your mom's gestational diabetes is not something you would inherit.

Perhaps you would feel better about it, if you monitored your glucose levels just once in a while? The Relion meter at Wally World is like $10, and strips are a bit expensive, but I am not suggesting that you buy 100 of them, and test constantly. Maybe just when you eat one of those fantastic Thanksgiving dinners, you test before, and then two hours later, and see what kind of numbers you have. Odds are, you will be fine, and that will help you with your peace of mind, but forgive the lecture from an old hand at overeating, and too much junk food. Learn to say "that's enough for me" instead of overindulging. Diabetes or not, you will feel better, and live a better life.

Good luck. Information is never a bad thing, so good for you for being aware, and now you can keep an eye out for it.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,024 Posts
The information you have given us about your father seems to indicate he is a Type 1 diabetic. Assuming this is true, the following information will help answer your question. According to the Islets Of Hope website the children of a Type 1 father have a 1 in 17 chance of becoming Type 1. That is about a 6% chance of becoming a Type 1 diabetic, and a 94% chance that you will NOT become a diabetic. The odds are definitely in your favor if he is Type 1.

If your father has Type 2 diabetes then, since he was diagnosed before age 50, you would have a 1 in 7 chance of becoming Type 2. That would mean you would have a 14% chance of having Type 2 and an 86% chance of NOT having Type 2. The odds are still in you favor but not quite as much as with Type 1.

If your father is Type 1, then he will not survive very long without insulin. He should see an endocrinologist (diabetes specialist) and learn what type he is. If he is Type 2 then his chance of surviving without insulin is much better. Type 2 diabetics typically control their diabetes with exercise, diet and medication. When that no longer works, insulin becomes necessary. Whichever type he is, he should be following a very low carbohydrate diet and exercising every day.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really thank You for all of this information i am not overweight , i am trying to eat what doctors told my Dad's to eat so he will feel much better while eating them and wont feel he is eating something less than we are eating .. i love vegetables , saladt usualy , i can NOT eat anything contains sugar ( thanks God) most of my teeth are horrible and will feel like hell if they tasted any sugars , well i prefer that to go to a dentist i hate the pain and cant go for it , plus i am not too much fan of sugars ...i love dark bread , meat , chicken , i am not eating too much i am active ( due to my work which requires me to move alot) i am doing sports i go suualy to the gym when not too busy but i keep my sporting time always not less than 3 hours a week well this week i havent had any sports yet ... and i have tested my blood sugar while fasting 11 hours it was 82 .. and i tested oit at night after having a big load of sugars with one hourwhich actualy was icecream and it was 111 i think they are normal measures i just think
Well actualy i do believe that diabetics's food IS the healthy food which we all should eat
i have read before that white sugars is the main food of cancer cells
i have read before that this white sugar is sometimes called the white poison
thata ctually our bodies does NOT nead sugars , actually we are just used to it ... i drink my coffee without any sugars and i am not diabetic and i love it that way ... sugar always mess the taste with me
really i knew alot of important information on this forum , and i could see your warm feeligns towards each member , you are really a one strong family .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I would needen't worry Dido, Take me for instance as I am the only type 1 in my family and I have had this now for 38 Years and I have not herd of anyone in my family contracted this disease. So it's hereditary and selective too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hello-

If your father has been diabetiv for 20 years and has had to take insulin from the very beginning it is likely he has type 1, commonly referred to as juvenile onset diabetes. If I were you I would not be worried. You have a very low chance of developing type 1 diabetes. It is fairly uncommon. And, if by some chance you did, you would be fine. I am 41 years old and I've had it for over 30 years. I do just fine. So quit worrying. Worrying never helps anything. You will be just fine either way
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top