The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time, no talk! Bad news - I think I've wrecked my wonderful A1C of 6.2 today. I'm in the middle of moving and haven't had time to go food shopping, and I couldn't take it tonight - I ran out and got 2 slices of pizza, for which I am demonizing myself for right now. I'm keeping an eye on my BG - it was 98 before I ate the pizza, so I'll be testing over the next few hours to see what kind of damage I've done. I'm hoping it's not too much. Someone say something positive, please! Tell me I'm not going to diabetic hell.

Though I have to say, even though the pizza isn't good for me, it felt sooooo good to be bad. The countdown begins.....:Cry:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thou art abvolved, forgiven, fa-gedda-boud-dit, etc. Read thou this thread and take comfort therein:

Can't Take it Any More

Wishing you a smooooooth move!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Oh lord, 220. Learned my lesson BIG TIME!
What I do in these cases is go walking/cycling/something roughly 45min to 1hr AFTER the meal, and keep it up for another 2 to 3 hours...

That will often slowly burn off the glucose as it enters your bloodstream.

Of course, it's not easy getting off your butt after eating pizza... At least that's what I find... but I do it. =)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I do in these cases is go walking/cycling/something roughly 45min to 1hr AFTER the meal, and keep it up for another 2 to 3 hours...

That will often slowly burn off the glucose as it enters your bloodstream.

Of course, it's not easy getting off your butt after eating pizza... At least that's what I find... but I do it. =)
It's WAY easier just to NOT eat the pizza anymore! :D

·
Registered
5,399 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I learned that the hard way, too. :eek:
I don't take insulin and I'm not interested in working out for 3 hours, so I'm hoping it will just go down on it's own in a couple of hours. Lesson learned, though - had my fun, tomorrow it's back to cheese and nuts and Atkins shakes! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't take insulin and I'm not interested in working out for 3 hours, so I'm hoping it will just go down on it's own in a couple of hours. Lesson learned, though - had my fun, tomorrow it's back to cheese and nuts and Atkins shakes! :rolleyes:
For some nonsensical reason, insulin makes it possible for me to eat something, but not carbs. Often, I just get hit hard with a delayed spike. And it's double-fattening to boot.

Makes no sense at all. But there it is.

Three-hour workouts just don't fit into my corner of the time-space continuum.

So I guess we're in close to the same boat. Same harbor, anyway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some nonsensical reason, insulin makes it possible for me to eat something, but not carbs. Often, I just get hit hard with a delayed spike. And it's double-fattening to boot.

Makes no sense at all. But there it is.

Three-hour workouts just don't fit into my corner of the time-space continuum.

So I guess we're in close to the same boat. Same harbor, anyway.
You know what's weird, a couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd test out my favorite piece of birthday cake - Italian cream with white frosting and covered in almonds - and see what it would do. No spike whatsoever. So I had a second slice - no spike. I don't know if maybe it was the almonds combating the cake carbs, but I guess it led me to falsely believe I could cheat again. Obviously, Pete Za found out and said, 'Hold it there, bub - we got you now!' :p

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
You know what's weird, a couple of weeks ago, I figured I'd test out my favorite piece of birthday cake - Italian cream with white frosting and covered in almonds - and see what it would do. No spike whatsoever. So I had a second slice - no spike. I don't know if maybe it was the almonds combating the cake carbs, but I guess it led me to falsely believe I could cheat again. Obviously, Pete Za found out and said, 'Hold it there, bub - we got you now!' :p
Maybe the frosting and cream had a nice amount of fat, too! Very glad it worked for you.

Occasionally I've gotten away with something that shouldn't work. But if I do it too often, my BGLs take revenge for a week ... or two.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe the frosting and cream had a nice amount of fat, too! Very glad it worked for you.

Occasionally I've gotten away with something that shouldn't work. But if I do it too often, my BGLs take revenge for a week ... or two.

And then another time I had a banana with a big dose of peanut butter and that sent me sky high. Just no rhyme or reason to this stuff!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh lord, 220. Learned my lesson BIG TIME!
Kinda confirms my idea that my eating a pizza for lunch every day was a real problem. On the other hand it was an easy one to correct. Where I work when you do well at something they give you candy, donuts, or throw you a pizza party. Not sure what happened to employee wellness.

·
Registered
741 Posts
So nice to know we're all human lol...I make this awesome cheesecake and it IS low carb but I can't eat it...totally baffling...all the ingredients separately don't spike me but all together wooohoooo...

·
Registered
322 Posts
every once in a while i will cheat. yes i will admit it. i do cheat every so often. most of the time i keep my numbers under 105 even post meals. so just to keep my self sane i will have a couple of pieces of pizza or something i know i should not have, and then i refuse to test my self afterwards. i told my wife i am just better off not knowing.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
d33na said:
So nice to know we're all human lol...I make this awesome cheesecake and it IS low carb but I can't eat it...totally baffling...all the ingredients separately don't spike me but all together wooohoooo...
You raise an interesting question that has been plaguing my mind ever since I was diagnosed and started learning about low carb and BG control. As you say, the ingredients in your cheesecake on their own don't spike you but you do experience a spike when they're combined into the cake. So I was wondering if there might be certain combinations of foods that, through some chemical process or another, become 'gluconated' ( I made that one up, :). ). In other words, two or more ingredients or foods, on their own do nothing but are subject to some chemical process (before ingestion) that changes its composition to something which would spike us.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
In other words, two or more ingredients or foods, on their own do nothing but are subject to some chemical process (before ingestion) that changes its composition to something which would spike us.
Duuuddde! Whisper when you say this. Test strip manufacturers may have their ear to the ground!

·
Registered
741 Posts
good word dude....lol could also be when i eat it...and um lol how much

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got here, but everyone has a day that plans don't work out the way we hoped. Don't kick yourself too hard. I am learning what different things do to my body and just chalk it up to a learning experience. Tomorrow is a new day.

blessings

1 - 19 of 19 Posts