The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a 64-year old male, and I was diagnosed with diabetes in 1998. The first few doctors I had were basically no help at all. My latest doctor is terrific, he's much more up to date on the latest research. He told me the most important thing is to bring my BG numbers down by going on a low carb diet. It took a couple of years to make all the changes, but as of last September my A1C was down to 6.4 (it had been 8.0 at one point).

My next goal is to start losing weight. I'm comfortable enough with my low carb diet that I'm not too worried about carbs. Yes, I occasionally do "controlled cheating." But now I've started writing down every bite of food I put in my mouth, by weight, number of calories and number of carbs. This way I can't kid myself about what I'm actually eating. So if I want to have one of those little Ben and Jerry's mini-sized ice cream cups, I just write it down. Or a hard candy. Needless to say I also check my BG, although I'm not doing it as often as I should. I have a tendency to forget the post-prandial.

Since I started this new plan of writing everything down, I figure I'm losing about a pound a week, which is as fast as I want to go. I've been testing my BG when I wake up in the morning, and often it's in the 60's, which I worry is a little too low.

My daily intake of calories is somewhere between 2000 and 2500. This may sound like a lot, but I weigh about 263. So I think for the time being I can consume that many calories and still lose weight. If I stop losing weight, I'll have to reduce the number of calories.

Sorry if this is a little disorganized, but it's my first post and I guess I have a lot to say. Glad to be here and have other diabetics to talk to.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on bringing your numbers down. Sure, meds help, but without managing our diet, all the meds in the world can't keep us out of trouble.

The kudos go to you, not the meds!

Glad you're here.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Welcome to the forum I am pretty new myself but I do love this forum. My hubby was DX type 2 on Nov 30. Right away I got online and found this forum. His A1C was a 12.6 or 12.3 his previous 3 month BG average was well over 300. Right away I cut his carbs and all sugar. Proud now to say his average BG for the past week is about 110. He is taking Metformin 500mg twice a day for the last 3 days was on Glyburide 500 twice a day before that. We have no idea how long he has had D but very blurry vision and thirst is when he went to the Dr. So far I am a firm believer in the LCHF. Again welcome and im sure you will learn a lot here like I did :)

Sent from my iPad using Diabetes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm glad you found a great doctor who recomends low carbs. I have been below my goal weight for 2 years now thanks to low carb. I have also lowered my HbA1c from almost 11 to the low 5's. The longer I do LC the easier it is to do. I just got back from a week at my sisters where I ate more than my usual 10 carbs per meal. My bgs showed it. As far as your bgs going too low, you may want to talk to your doctor about reducing Lantus since you are low carbing and losing weight. I am only on metformin and I rarely go below 80.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts