The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 65 and have been diabetic for approx. 15 years. I've cheated far too long, but now that my glucose level is extremely high at times, I'm trying to behave myself. Diabetes is a cruel disease, especially for people like me who love sweets.

Anybody buy sugar-free candy and still have their sugar go up?

Since I was put on prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), my sugar has gone sky-high (300-400, sometimes HIGHER). My doctor is going to adjust my meds right after I get my next blood work done to see if the prednisone has brought my inflammation rate down from the PMR. Anyone here on prednisone, and if so, has it elevated your sugar?

I'm on 34 units of Lantus Solostar 2/day, 1000 mg of Metformin 2/d and Starlix 3/day. Wonder if a pump would help me; haven't looked into that yet. I worry myself sick; I'm 65 and love life and hope to be able to stick around for a while! I don't smoke (quit about 7 years ago). Had 2 strokes, thank God not full ones, quit smoking cold turkey after first one and again, thankfully, I healed very well except for slight weakness in left hand, but I'm right-handed. Have mild COPD, well-controlled. Very happily married, have one 33-year old son who just got married (he and his wife are both psychologists), and don't forget the dog! We have a RED Golden Retriever named Dawn Jacquelyn and she's the best, most beautiful creature ever (I know this for a fact :) I love people and look forward to meeting you folks.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Rosa!

Have a look around, lots of great folks here.

are you T1 or T2?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well hey, Rosa! I think you're gonna fit right in here too! :D :D :D

Welcome to DF, and thank you for joining us. Do come around often . . . we're nothing if not chatty! heheh! ;)

:welcome:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome! You will gain a ton of support and knowledge if you stick around. We are glad you're here. Hope you come back often!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Rosa, welcome! I have two friends who have used prednisone for several years, one for arthritis and the other for asthma. They use very large amounts of insulin, much more than you are using. I think your insulin dosages will have to be increased a lot to give you a more stable control of your blood sugar. I hope your doctors realize this and will advise you appropriately.

Is your diabetes type 1, or type 2?

Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Rosa Just my penny worth, what ever you put in your mouth will eventually turn to blood sugar. Now the trick is to learn what spikes you more than the other, this forum is just loaded with practical tips.
Looking forward in reading more about your + results
Pine
:playball:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Rosa, welcome! I have two friends who have used prednisone for several years, one for arthritis and the other for asthma. They use very large amounts of insulin, much more than you are using. I think your insulin dosages will have to be increased a lot to give you a more stable control of your blood sugar. I hope your doctors realize this and will advise you appropriately.

Richard
Hi and thanks for your nice reply. I'm Type 2. It's wonderful that you've done so well in spite of being diabetic for all these years; I congratulate you! You'll be one of my inspirations. I see my doctor soon (I need to get more blood word done) and I'll let you know how he adjusts my meds. Hope you have a great day!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Rosa Just my penny worth, what ever you put in your mouth will eventually turn to blood sugar. Now the trick is to learn what spikes you more than the other, this forum is just loaded with practical tips.
Looking forward in reading more about your + results
Pine
:playball:
Hi, nice to meet you :) I look forward to the "practical tips". My main problem is I love sweets - and I'm finding many of the so-called sugar-free candies are not safe. Any ideas?

Hope your day is great!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Rosa and welcome to the forum. I think you will feel comfortable here and we have many members who will help you out as much as possible. I have taken prednisone many times and it really does a number on your blood glucose. You may need to increase your insulin while on prednisone, talk with your doctor. Good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Rosa and welcome to the forum. I think you will feel comfortable here and we have many members who will help you out as much as possible. I have taken prednisone many times and it really does a number on your blood glucose. You may need to increase your insulin while on prednisone, talk with your doctor. Good luck.
Thanks so much for your reply. Prednisone is certainly a double-edged sword. It helps me in so many ways but has bad side effects, as you obviously know. I love this forum. Hope to speak with you again :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Richard
I just had to reply to you again -- you're amazing! And lucky, sir. You must be doing all the right things and I admit I envy you, but with no jealousy, honest. I love people (in general) and I'll be reading all your posts. I hope I can be like you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, nice to meet you :) I look forward to the "practical tips". My main problem is I love sweets - and I'm finding many of the so-called sugar-free candies are not safe. Any ideas?

Hope your day is great!
I am addicted to chocolates. This is how I deal with my addiction I swim every other day (1km+) then afterward my Bg tends to come down fast and I waited till it really hits the bottom. Instead of having a good healthy meal I indulge in PLEASURE!!!
This is not advice I recommend you should follow - there are more healthy ways of doing your sweet thing!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am addicted to chocolates. This is how I deal with my addiction I swim every other day (1km+) then afterward my Bg tends to come down fast and I waited till it really hits the bottom. Instead of having a good healthy meal I indulge in PLEASURE!!!
This is not advice I recommend you should follow - there are more healthy ways of doing your sweet thing!
Chocolate is also my downfall. And the sugar-free stuff just doesn't taste right....

Thanks for your input :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chocolate is also my downfall. And the sugar-free stuff just doesn't taste right....

Thanks for your input :)
Most people can control themselves by only eating one or two block but sadly I just don't have that kind of power. And I am not sure it that is the right was of enjoying it. That is way I always like to share or have my dog with me when I eat it.
....I think I can hear a choc calling.

Till next time

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most people can control themselves by only eating one or two block but sadly I just don't have that kind of power. And I am not sure it that is the right was of enjoying it. That is way I always like to share or have my dog with me when I eat it.
....I think I can hear a choc calling.

Till next time
Oh dear, chocolate can be deadly for dogs; they're never supposed to have it.

Dogs are the greatest creatures on the planet in my opinion. We have a beautiful, 10-yr old red Golden Retriever and we treat her like a child.

Please look up info on chocolate and dogs; I'm sure you want what's best for your pet. From now on, please share your chocolate with me - bring insulin!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi Rosa, welcome..:) there's no such thing as sugarfree anywhere, even if sugar is deleted other substances which go in to those have hidden sugars which in turn elevate sugars and generally they have high calories inspite of not having sugar. so we should aim for calorie count and portion count to along with physical activity to bring our B/G down. This is a nice place and I am learning a lot inspite of being a 20 years type 2 diabetic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Rosa
I am a Type 2 newbie and it´s amazing how you can get so many knowledge with these lovely people here.

Anyway, I really don´t like candys and chocolates, so it´s easy for me. On the other hand I was a kind of pasta addicted, but I concluded this month that my life and health is much more important than a food that will hurt me. Of couse sometimes I am tempted but my bigger ally is my BG monitor. I see my average records and decide I will not lost the last good results because a simple meal. :)

BTW, I forgot to say in my introduction that my English can be a bit "confuse". ;)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Hi Rosa
I am a Type 2 newbie and it´s amazing how you can get so many knowledge with these lovely people here.

Anyway, I really don´t like candys and chocolates, so it´s easy for me. On the other hand I was a kind of pasta addicted, but I concluded this month that my life and health is much more important than a food that will hurt me. Of couse sometimes I am tempted but my bigger ally is my BG monitor. I see my average records and decide I will not lost the last good results because a simple meal. :)

BTW, I forgot to say in my introduction that my English can be a bit "confuse". ;)
Keep up the good fight Fabio!

by the way, your english is just fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts