The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. A few days ago after feeling sick for so long and at the end of my tether, my first lot of blood tests came back with a fasting BGL of 169. In addition my cholesterol was 9. I'm 48, female and only 3 years ago had been Dx'd with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) so the possibility of diabetes on top of AS has blown my mind.

I have my initial appt with the GP in 2 days but he did suggest a BGL monitor which I brought two days ago.

My levels have been as follows:
8pm 248
8am 237
2pm 205
8pm 223
12am 194
9am 183
3pm 230
7pm 183
10pm 149
12am 203

My knowledge of diabetes is non existent, although I'm reading up fast. From what I can gather this is not good news. Even if there's a variable with the machine, these don't seem to be good levels.

At the moment I'm feeling like I have a lead weight around my neck and even the smallest tasks and minor exertion just plain hurt and make me want to crawl into bed. I'm not giving into it though and have managed to keep working even though every ounce of effort is going into my working day and I fall in a heap when I get home..lol

Am I right in thinking this doesn't look good? Any thoughts, suggestions or even a hug would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Hi, I do not remember if AS is autoimmune, but if so, get antibody testing for Diabetes.

Is AS treated with steroid drugs? If so, that might be a partial explanation for your high numbers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, I do not remember if AS is autoimmune, but if so, get antibody testing for Diabetes.

Is AS treated with steroid drugs? If so, that might be a partial explanation for your high numbers.
Hey foxl. Yes AS is an auto immune disease. I am not taking any steroid treatment at all. I'm resisting that all the way until I can't get out of bed anymore. Fortunately for the most part, I'm in remission with it, only my Cervical spine and ribs are playing up right now.

Yep the more I'm reading here, the more I can see these numbers are high.

TY for your reply.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think we were all shocked with our dx. I was dx'd 4 years ago with similar numbers ( 240 fasting). It took me almost 3 years of lots of trial and error and change in diet to a very low carb/high fat to finally lower my bgs. Dieticians and doctors will not tell you about Low carb but for diabetics it is the most effective way to get normal bgs. I would suggest you find out as much as possible about diabetes. One good source is
Blood Sugar 101. There are several books that are excellent
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site and www.gretchenbecker.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. I think we were all shocked with our dx. I was dx'd 4 years ago with similar numbers ( 240 fasting). It took me almost 3 years of lots of trial and error and change in diet to a very low carb/high fat to finally lower my bgs. Dieticians and doctors will not tell you about Low carb but for diabetics it is the most effective way to get normal bgs. I would suggest you find out as much as possible about diabetes. One good source is
Blood Sugar 101. There are several books that are excellent
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site and Gretchen Becker - Home
Thanks so much jwags. Now I've got lots of reading to do. Yes from what I'm reading, low carb is the way to go and have decided to listen to the advice on here from people who are living it rather than people who have studied it. My goal is a low carb diet but will live in hope that someone invents no carb bread.

Take care and TY again.

Reactions: jwags

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Once you get over your carb addiction,you won't miss bread.

G

·
hi Coconut... I still eat bread myself, but I stick to grain breads like soy & linseed, etc... the more grains the better. You can also buy spelt bread which is a low GI option, plus the sourdough usually is a good option too. I just don't eat bread everyday though. I do eat pasta and basmati rice most of the time for lunch/dinner. I just have a smaller serving of it and pump up dishes with vegies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once you get over your carb addiction,you won't miss bread.
MISS IT??? I think I'm smelling it in my sleep. lol

No seriously, I was only eating 2 slices per day of whole grain but knowing I can't eat it now, I seem to think of it more. All cakes, pastries, rice, pasta and biscuits I can do without but a slice of bread, that's what I'll miss most.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
MISS IT??? I think I'm smelling it in my sleep. lol

No seriously, I was only eating 2 slices per day of whole grain but knowing I can't eat it now, I seem to think of it more. All cakes, pastries, rice, pasta and biscuits I can do without but a slice of bread, that's what I'll miss most.
Same with me, Coco . . . but I finally did get over it. Doubt if I could knead down a big batch without falling off the wagon, but as long as I don't tempt myself with my own homemade bread, I'm not terribly tempted by commercial stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same with me, Coco . . . but I finally did get over it. Doubt if I could knead down a big batch without falling off the wagon, but as long as I don't tempt myself with my own homemade bread, I'm not terribly tempted by commercial stuff.
Already I feel better knowing someone else gets tempted. Right now I'm day dreaming about a tub of peanut butter and chocolate ice cream. Honestly, I would have ice cream once a year or so before my DX. Now I can't eat it and its all I'm thinking about. The mind can be a cruel, cruel thing lol.

Reactions: Rosa

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Right now I'm day dreaming about a tub of peanut butter and chocolate ice cream.
Don't know if you can get it in Australia, but here in the U.S. Breyers makes Carb Smart chocolate ice cream with 9 net carbs per half cup. It tastes so smooth and wonderful. Hope you can find it in your neck of the woods. If not, let me know and I'll eat an extra serving in your honor. :lol:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I buy the Carb Smart bars, they are chocolate covered and 4 net carbs and rarely spike me. There are ways to make low carb bread but it doesn't rise like normal bread. Those sites I gave you have some different bread options that you can make in the microwave. Another good trick is to go to gluten free sites, they have some good recipes just sub out the sugar. They usually use almond meal or coconut flour. Living with diabetes doesn't mean you have to give up all your favorite foods. You just need to figure out how to make them lower carb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know if you can get it in Australia, but here in the U.S. Breyers makes Carb Smart chocolate ice cream with 9 net carbs per half cup. It tastes so smooth and wonderful. Hope you can find it in your neck of the woods. If not, let me know and I'll eat an extra serving in your honor. :lol:
That's it...I'm coming over to the U.S. for that ice cream. haha

No Gizmo, you have an extra serving for me and enjoy every lick. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I buy the Carb Smart bars, they are chocolate covered and 4 net carbs and rarely spike me. There are ways to make low carb bread but it doesn't rise like normal bread. Those sites I gave you have some different bread options that you can make in the microwave. Another good trick is to go to gluten free sites, they have some good recipes just sub out the sugar. They usually use almond meal or coconut flour. Living with diabetes doesn't mean you have to give up all your favorite foods. You just need to figure out how to make them lower carb.
And that's why I love this site jwags. I get to benefit from the efforts and innovation of you all, particularly with the recipes.

To be honest, I usually don't get home from work until around 7pm so all the work you guys put in to perfecting the diabetic diet benefits me like you'll never know. So thank you.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh really? I'll have to look for that one.
Good Ice Cream is one of my absolute favs but have pretty much given it up. Now I can have it again? Yea!!!! You just made my day!
:hippie:

·
Registered
35 Posts
that doesn't look good at all!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Emily. Would you like to go over to the Introduce Yourself board to start your own thread & tell us about yourself & how you manage your diabetes? We look forward to getting better acquainted with you. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Getting dx with anything is hard but when there is more than one thing wrong i know how that feels. my best advice is to try and always remember that there are others out there and you are not alone. i just came to this site and am so glad that there are so many people out there like me. good luck.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hiya Coconut *waves from Perth*...this is certainly the best place I've found to get support and information...welcome

1 - 20 of 20 Posts