The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right you guys. Let me know when you get tired of my posts. Today I went to the doctor for a three month check up after starting Byetta. Besides the good blood work I had which I posted on a previous thread, today I found out I also lost 29 lbs. I am so glad to see I am on the right track with my diabetes. Let's celebrate by all having hot fudge sundaes! *sigh* Only kidding. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
All right you guys. Let me know when you get tired of my posts. Today I went to the doctor for a three month check up after starting Byetta. Besides the good blood work I had which I posted on a previous thread, today I found out I also lost 29 lbs. I am so glad to see I am on the right track with my diabetes. Let's celebrate by all having hot fudge sundaes! *sigh* Only kidding. :(

That is awesome Keep up the great work

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wonderful Ruby! How long did it take you to lose that weight? It took me a year in 2004 to lose 26 pounds. You can brag all you want. I never get tired of hearing upbeat posts from my friends!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richard, I lost those 29 pounds since early November when I started Byetta. One of Byetta's side affects is 'weight loss'. But it's a good side affect. I truly get full faster and can not eat as much as I used to. That has certainly helped me with my portion control. Also, since the metformin alone wasn't keeping my A1C low enough and the doctor put me on Byetta, I figured I better start taking this diabetes thing seriously. I was diagnosed in March of 2007. My fasting glucose was 126 and my A1C was 6.7%. I didn't think those numbers were all that bad. I work in a hospital lab and we see glucoses in the 300's and even into the 800-900 range. And we see A1C's in the 11's tp 14 range. So I didn't think my numbers were all that bad. I hadn't been making good food choices and was eating regular spaghetti until I was full, pizza, MacDonald's, Subway, even candies, cakes, etc. Then my A1C went to 6.9% and fasting was 145 at my next appointment. My Dr. suggested the Byetta and I told him 'No, I'll watch what I eat'. I did a little better and was still quite heavy. Next appointment I had an A1C of 6.5% and said I was finally willing to try Byetta. The improvement has been grand and I also had an 'attitude adjustment'. I now realize this isn't a passing thing and I MUST take care of myself. The doctor can only do so much. He can't follow me around and monitor my food intake. My goal is to get healthy enough and in control enough that my numbers prove I am doing better and get off the Byetta and control my diabetes with metformin alone, or even with diet and exercise alone. Thanks to all you wonderful people here who are so encouraging, supportive and smart enough to answer all my questions. My successes are your successes, too. And vice versa!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Aww rubystar ;), I have always like you, As you are such a gun at this loosing weight thang. :D As I can only envy you.

You go girl!!!

Just some encouragement as I would like to give some flowers to you. :eek:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Yes Ruby I agree with Peter! You set a very good example for all the other members and for those who visit this site. I am betting that you will lose that weight and fulfill your goals in the year(s) ahead. Nice going!

Richard

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much, Peter and Richard. But let me just say I feel like a "cheater" because the Byetta really helps most people lose weight. But I'm not complaining, I'll take it any way I can get it.
BYETTA (exenatide) injection | What to Expect

Peter, thank you for the flowers and kind words. You are all so very nice on this forum. Nice, smart, friendly, compassionate, encouraging, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Woo Woo! That's awesome Ruby! You're going in the right direction. I think you have a good handle on this and are making great strides. Look in the mirror today and say, yeah I'm doing a great job. Be proud of yourself. You deserve it. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts