The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Zack, I am 51 years old and was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 2 years ago. For most of the past two years I have taken my metformin, lisinopril, and simvastatin pretty religiously. About four months ago I stopped taking them. I have no health insurance so I was paying cash for my doctor visits. It got pretty expensive because he wanted a lot of tests done to see how my meds were affecting my kidney and liver functions. Living paycheck to paycheck as a restaurant manager I finally just stopped going when I ran out of my scripts. I know this was a stupid idea and I've made an appointment to see the doctor. I'm sure there are many people in my situation (make too much money for welfare but not enough to pay for it myself). Anyway, I came across this forum and there seems to be a lot of nice people on here sharing info. Since I was diagnosed noone in my family (including me) mention my diabetes. It's weird but the one person I can talk to (an aunt) feels that by threatening me with amputation stories, I will finally lose weight and "get on the right track". I weigh about 300 lbs and I'm 6'1" and work about 55 hours a week. Even though I'm a hard worker I really don't get a lot of exercise in my job. Lately, I've noticed some numbness in my feet and I know it's not good and I worry constantly about the future and where this might lead. So, I've decided that I want to fight this disease - I realize it's a progressive disease but I know I can affect it's progression. This forum is a good start for learning and resources. I'm not used to "spilling my guts" but I'm glad this space on the internet is here and I'm looking for friends to make this journey with. Thanks Zack

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi and welcome

one thing you can do is cut the number of carbs you eat. your body converts carbohydrates to sugar. All carbs, whole grain = sugar most fruit = sugar.

its tuff working that much to find time to exersize. Just walking is exersize.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Zack! You found the right place to get support! We are all here to help each other, share stories and battle this disease together.

While you may have trouble finding time to exercise, one thing you can do is control your diet. Can you tell us what kind of diet you are on? Perhaps we can offer some suggestions to start getting your blood glucose levels down.

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Zack. Since you have had diabetes for a couple of years, I assume you know that carbs are the diabetic's #1 enemy. We all know it is difficult cutting way down on carbs, but there are some things you can do to make eating low carb a lot less painful because there is a low-carb substitute for most of the high carb food we use to eat, even for some of the junk food.

When you get a chance, take a look at the recipe section here and if there are some carby foods you feel you can't live without, let us know which ones and we'll give you suggestions as to what to substitute.

You can also lose weight on a low carb diet, so the news isn't all bad. Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Zach. One thing's for sure - we're the polar opposite of your family: we talk about diabetes :)

You didn't say anything about your numbers or how you managed your diabetes while you were still taking metformin. My guess is you're learning a lot now that will help you manage it even better than before.

I dropped my carbs to 50 or under/day and have been dropping weight without trying. Months before getting diagnosed, I went through my closets and got rid of boxes (and boxes) of great clothes I had given up ever fitting back into. Man I wish I could get half of them back!

You're in for some challenges, but also get ready to reap some tremendous rewards.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Zack and welcome to the forum :fish2:
I am sure you'll find lots of information here. Seeing the doc again is good, right now I can't find the post some one made regarding discounted Lab tests. Perhaps they will re-post :)
You may know already that WalMart has a $4 script program and Metformin and the BP med are on the list $4 Prescription Program - Walmart.com They also have ReliOn brand BG test meters with better priced test strips, the users report good results. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Zack Welcome to DF. I think you will find lots of support here. Both my husband and I both have D and I take it more seriously than he does. I think the important thing is now you are getting back on the wagon. Ask your doctor for genertic meds like Metformin. They are usually $4 a month. Actually our local store, Giant Eagle gives 5 diabetes meds for free. I know it is hard to exercise especially when you are working as hard as you do. Try to incorperate a few minutes of exercise throughout the day. Try parking further from your restaurant so you have to walk, some people bike to work. Also by limiting your carbs as said above you will be able to lower your bg numbers. I know working around food doesn't make it easy but using your meter find the foods that don't make you spike. My go to meal is Bacon and scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach or a bunless bacon cheeseburger. So you can still eat great just dump the carb portions. There are also a lot of lower carb bread options out there so you can still enjoy some carbs that don't spike you. I found a bread today that had 10 carbs for 2 slices, not bad.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi, Zack . . . c'mon in & meet your best cheerleaders - you gonna fight, we're gonna cheer you to the last bell! :D Because we've gone those rounds and some of us still have many rounds to go, but we're all winning the war one battle at a time.

Everything you've read here is true . . . even as Gizmo & Moon are saying if you drop your carbs, you can lose weight without trying - they did it, I did it, jwags did it - prob'ly most of the people on this forum have lost weight with a low carb way of eating - and get this: Most of us are eating high fat along with our low carb. It makes low-carbing a very successful & satisfying way of eating - something we can sustain for a lifetime. As jwags says, bacon/eggs is one of our easiest go-to meals. Whipping up a 2-egg omelet & filling it with all your favorite cheese, meats, veggies like asparagus, spinach, etc., - so fast/easy & satisfying!

Metformin helps the weight loss too, so get a generic script for it & find one of those pharmacies for $4 or free. Metformin is the only diabetes med I use & I take a high dose (2250mg is the max dose - I take 2000mg) - it curbs my appetite.

Come get acquainted & let's get to work! :wave:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: from me too!

I echo what the others have said - Low-Carb is the way to go! I lost about 75lbs in only a few months doing low-carb and lots of exercise. At the same time I got my blood sugar under much better control!

There's tons of advice and help here! Do as Shanny said and get yourself a prescription for Metformin - it's one of the best drugs for any Type II diabetic and does help with weight loss, and it's cheap-like-borscht.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Zack you can check for the local health clinic or other low cost clinics in your area. Many of them will put you on a sliding scale if you're working but the cost for the Dr. visits and meds are usually very low and affordable if not free. If not for these places in my community I'd never be able to afford my meds and supplies.
You may be surprised at what's available with a little looking.
Hang in there and welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts