The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i went to my dr. appointment my blood sugar was 328 , but I had eaten everything under the sun that morning. Since then I've ran 3.5 miles everyday. Now my blood sugar this morning was 120 before I had eaten ,and 128 two hours after I had eaten dinner. My question is do you think I need a second opinion? I just don't think that I was my test was accurate.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'd say it's on the money . . . a non-diabetic person might spike up over 100 after a large carby intake, maybe even 110, but they're never going up to 328. Because you've taken steps to lower your levels, it is working and they are dropping, but you are still diabetic. Save the money for a second opinion & buy test strips with it.

Glad to have you aboard, KC. Make yourself at home & ask anything else you want to know! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi kculp - welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry about your recent diagnosis, but don't think you need a second opinion. A non-diabetic will not reach a blood glucose level of 328, even if they eat plenty of pizza and sweets. A normal fasting is <100. You might want to check out Blood Sugar 101 - and click on "What is a normal blood sugar" - then browse around the site. It's full of great information on diabetes, backed up by studies, and written in clear language.

The good news is that diabetes is very manageable, and many of us find we're healthier now that we know we have diabetes and are taking care of ourselves than we have been in a long time. There's a reward to be found in all this, though it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

Glad you're here - and as for all those questions you must have, the ones we all had, feel free to ask away.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I believe the lovely ladies above have said it all.

I'm a Type 2 and have been since March but I have never had a reading over 250 so your result is pretty straightforward diabetic. Buy a meter and some strips.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was afraid that would be my answer.. I'm really happy for the encouraging post. I'm so scared of being diabetic, when I first got the news it was almost like a death sentence immediately. Its good to chat with people who are diabetic, and reading the threads has helped me to see that it is manageable. I've changed my diet completely and I'm exercising everyday.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Although the 328 reading would be unusual for a normal person, it would not be impossible. Years ago my brother registered over 300 on a blood test physical in the air force after eating a stack of pancakes. He is now 78 and has never had another high reading. Most Doctors would base a diagnosis on fasting bg testing or glucose tolerance tests.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Although the 328 reading would be unusual for a normal person, it would not be impossible. Years ago my brother registered over 300 on a blood test physical in the air force after eating a stack of pancakes. He is now 78 and has never had another high reading. Most Doctors would base a diagnosis on fasting bg testing or glucose tolerance tests.
I'd have to say that was a malfunction of the test procedure or equipment, or else contaminated with pancake syrup. Did they retest him to see if it was a true reading?

Fasting readings are a poor diagnostic tool because they are often the last place elevated levels present. Postprandial readings are the best early warning alert, and as you say, the OGTT; it's pretty undeniable.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Thanks, I was afraid that would be my answer.. I'm really happy for the encouraging post. I'm so scared of being diabetic, when I first got the news it was almost like a death sentence immediately. Its good to chat with people who are diabetic, and reading the threads has helped me to see that it is manageable. I've changed my diet completely and I'm exercising everyday.
Welcome to the forum KC. Fret not, D is manageable with a little effort. If you caught it early on that makes it easier. It is certainly not a death sentence. Read a lot and learn - experiment - implement. That is the formula that will help you the most. Good Luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did your Dr do an A1c test to verify the diagnosis? The A1c will give you an idea of the average BG readings for the last 90 days. Having diabetes will just make you eat and exercise the way you should have all along, a bit of extra incentive. With the proper diet and exercise you may feel better than you have in years.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
When i went to my dr. appointment my blood sugar was 328 , but I had eaten everything under the sun that morning. Since then I've ran 3.5 miles everyday. Now my blood sugar this morning was 120 before I had eaten ,and 128 two hours after I had eaten dinner. My question is do you think I need a second opinion? I just don't think that I was my test was accurate.
Hello and welcome to the club - and sorry, but I agree with Shanny and the others. That 328 says either you are diabetic or the doctor had some very contaminated test equipment.

Again, it's not a nice condition but it can be managed with a bit of discipline. Use Blood Sugar 101 as a basic education service. It is packed with useful advice. Use this forum to ask questions, even if it's only to ask "where do I find information on...?" Someone here will have an idea.

As Shanny says, you need a blood glucose meter and the test strips to go with it. You also need a log book so you can track your diet and what foods in particular give you nasty spikes.

Start today - cut back on the carbohydrates. Bread, Pasta, Rice and Potatoes are now in your forbidden fruits list.

Welcome to the club and keep positive.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Nachman, my Dr. only had the nurse to prick my finger, and the reading was 328. They took blood also but didn't tell me what they were doing. I appreciate all of the feedback! It has really helped to ease my mind. I took my blood sugar test before breakfast this morning and it was 98. I guess the dieting and exercising is working. You guys just don't know how much you have helped me. Thank you so very much

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am sorry that you have had high results, try not to worry but rather take action to be as healthy as possible. It is unlikely that your results are incorrect, but you never know?!? Every now and again - I think they must of got my results wrong. All my daily figures are now so low, I have never been overweight but as soon as I eat sugars...bam, thats it. BG goes to 15/16 even after a couple of sweets.

Instead I have become super cautious in monitoring, eating well and getting my life into balance. It's a daily challenge but it's so worthwhile...almost a delightful rewarding challenge.

Look after yourself, you are worth it!

Reactions: aimster1mo

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
They probably were taking an HbA1c test which will give you a 3 month average of bgs. Many D's are dx'd with high bgs but as they start to control diet and add exercise, their pancreas gets a rest and their numbers do drop. The average non diabetic has a bg of 70-110 most of the day. You have made great progress in a short while. Whatever you are doing is working so keep it up. Many of us are able to reverse the symptoms of diabetes and stay healthy but we are still Diabetic. On a good day my fastings are in the 90's and after meal bgs are in the low 100's. But I know I still have diabetes and if I overeat carbs, watch out my bgs spike like crazy.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sally? Have you been tested for LADA? If your doc hasn't ordered a c-peptide or the GAD antibodies test, I'd sure ask them to do them. Your experience sounds so much like my brother-in-law who got painfully thin & battled for quite some time to control blood sugar until they finally figured out he was NOT type 2 - he is 1.5/LADA. He now uses insulin, he's regained some of the weight, and management is so much easier for him.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Shanny said:
Sally? Have you been tested for LADA? If your doc hasn't ordered a c-peptide or the GAD antibodies test, I'd sure ask them to do them. Your experience sounds so much like my brother-in-law who got painfully thin & battled for quite some time to control blood sugar until they finally figured out he was NOT type 2 - he is 1.5/LADA. He now uses insulin, he's regained some of the weight, and management is so much easier for him.
Thanks Shanny. No I have not been tested for LADA, but it has crossed my mind from time to time. I am due to visit my GP and feel that something is not quite right yet. My Dx does seems to be particularly hard to keep on top of...thank you for pointing this out, I do appreciate it!

Reactions: Oneman2watch

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
I used to think I was not a diabetic and think hey my levels are always low but as soon as I stop taking the meds about 2 or 3 days my levels would go to about 140 that's when I knew......yes I'm a diabetic

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 17 of 17 Posts