The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been told to eat ice cream in the evening to get a low reading in the morning?
I've been experimenting with it and it really works. I was having morning #'s around 200 and now with my evening ice cream I am seeing #'s in the 130's.
I am type 2 and on glyburide.
Also, twice this week I skipped dinner but still had my evening ice cream snack and the next morning it was 120...
PS I am following Jorge Cruise Belly Fat Cure, low sugar and low carbs and it really works! :)

Sorry brand new, will need to get a signature. :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Crystal Ann! :welcome:

You'll find lots of good info and support here.

Never heard of the Belly Fat Cure. (Looking down.) Yup -- must check it out!

I'm extremely carb- and sugar-sensitive, so I'm a little scared of ice cream. Plus I'm not that fond of the stuff. (Weird, yes.) But a lot of folks here swear by CarbSmart ice cream.

I like a glass of red wine and/or some cheese before bed. The wine helps me keep low (my system loves highs), the cheese helps me keep levels steady. Plus I love the stuff!

Look forward to getting to know you better!

Reactions: skypeace

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shalynne,
I never thought of wine and cheese, great idea. I will be trying that. And yes the ice cream is a little high in sugar, so I only have 1/4 cup, which isn't much.
Do you think vodka might work also ? LOL
Crystal

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Do you think vodka might work also ? LOL
Crystal
Believe it or not, I've heard it does. Just watch the mixer!

Sadly, I can't stand diet tonic water or diet cola, so there go my favorite gin and rum highballs, I guess.

Scotch and soda, now ... mmmmmm!

White wine is carbier than red, I understand. Of course, beer's got lotsa carb. The alcohol supposedly covers some of that, but perhaps not enough. Your meter, however, may vary.

Oh, yeah ... I eat solid food, too! In fact, mostly!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have use the Breyer Carb Smart Bars in the evening but I can't do them too late otherwise I will be above 100. I think it is probably the fat in the ice cream that is helping your bgs. Have you tried Coconut Oil. Many of us on online forums have discovered it as an excellent way to keep bgs more stable. I use it in all my dishes and all my low carb baked cookies and muffins. I know some who stir it in their coffee. The glyburide you are on is a drug in the class of sulfyureas. It overstimulateds your pancreas to produce more insulin. If you don't eat it still works, so that is why when you skip meals you see lower bgs. Many people on sulfyurea drugs will find they may go too low and then their liver kicks in and they go way too high .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh how interesting... I will try Coconut Oil.... thanks so much for the info jawags :)

Reactions: jwags
G

·
welcome CrystalAnn :) Yeah, I've noticed the same. I sometimes have a bit of icecream for night snack when it's hot here. I have noticed my BGLs drop quite low in the morning from doing that. But at the moment I notice my BGLs can drop quite low anyhow... so not entirely sure it's just the icecream. I also tend to have my probiotic drink every night (a suggestion by my doc to get good bacteria a chance to work in my gut overnight). I vary my snacks, but I always make them small. I love cheese and that's when I tend to eat it... before bed. So I have 3x crackers with cheese.

·
Registered
33 Posts
welcome CrystalAnn :) Yeah, I've noticed the same. I sometimes have a bit of icecream for night snack when it's hot here. I have noticed my BGLs drop quite low in the morning from doing that. But at the moment I notice my BGLs can drop quite low anyhow... so not entirely sure it's just the icecream. I also tend to have my probiotic drink every night (a suggestion by my doc to get good bacteria a chance to work in my gut overnight). I vary my snacks, but I always make them small. I love cheese and that's when I tend to eat it... before bed. So I have 3x crackers with cheese.
onlymep:
How much ice-cream are we talking of here? and is it just regular icecream, or the low carb type? I have a problem with my morning BGs. What would you recommend I try? I have tried to avoid ice-creams completely and don't even eat much plain yoghurt because of the fear of spiking my BGs!

Thanks!

G

·
onlymep:
How much ice-cream are we talking of here? and is it just regular icecream, or the low carb type? I have a problem with my morning BGs. What would you recommend I try? I have tried to avoid ice-creams completely and don't even eat much plain yoghurt because of the fear of spiking my BGs!

Thanks!
1/4 cup usually :D I eat mostly low fat icecream... mind you it's not much less fat that the regular. I eat regular sometimes too. I haven't been eating it lately as it's cold here. I also eat greek yoghurt... I don't like the other yoghurts as much a they're too sweet. Greek yoghurt is way better and a lot less carbs... you should try that. Here we can buy a ready made greek yoghurt with a bit of pureed fruit layered in it (no added sugar) which I often use as my morning snack at work. It works a treat for me. But another thing I do is buy just the plain greek yoghurt and I add small portion of berries (frozen or fresh). I love strawberries... so will have about 3 of those usually for a snack mixed with anywhere between 1/4 to 1/2 cup of greek yoghurt. I do sometimes have this as a bedtime snack and it works fine. The key is eating small portions. I don't sweeten the greek yoghurt, but that is an option if you want something sweet... just sweeten it and eat it like it is I guess. I like it on it's own too... but that's just me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have regular ice cream, but I count my sugar grams per day (16) so I only eat 1/4 cup. It seems to work for me...when I'm being really good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts